ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

The screw wouldn't work, the case would. One of the most surefire ways I used is to have my power-supply plugged in but turned off at the back. Then just touching it once before handling a piece of hardware is fine. 

the psu itself doesnt actually have a switch it self :L its wierd :o why wont the screw work though? just wondering

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

im cautious because this build is worth 2000 + nzd :S hope it goes alright about to test mobo/cpu/ram/gpu before i put it in the case :o the top of the mobo box is fine for a test bench right?

Yeah it'll be fine :P (just thought I'd say my build is worth the same amount....)

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Yeah it'll be fine :P (just thought I'd say my build is worth the same amount....)

mines in nzd so yours is worth more :S if i add peripherals (keyboard/mouse/monitor) it adds almost 700 dollars because fk nz.

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

mines in nzd so yours is worth more :S if i add peripherals (keyboard/mouse/monitor) it adds almost 700 dollars because fk nz.

wow O.o yeah that sucks.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Ignore the wrist strap junk because you don't need it. Try not to build on carpet or any akin conductive surface, if you have a wooden table in the dining room that'd be perfect. Just touch the case before you touch each part and you'll be fine.

Yeah the NZ prices suck, what shop did you use? and just dont wear shoes or socks and stand on a non carpet floor as it makes it a lot harder to build up static electricity which can fry components, just touch the PSU with it plugged in or any metal on your case

MoBo: GA-z77x-ud3h CPU: 2500K @ 3.1 (miss my h80) Cooler: Stock GPU: EVGA 780 ACX RAM: 8gb G.skill SSDs: 2X Sammy 120EVOs HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracudas PSU: Corsair RM750 Case: Blue NZXT H440

Basically touching your case before you handle a component is all you really need to do. I've got along fine just doing that or using the PSU method.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

just make sure your working on a nonstatic surface, like tiles or wood and ull be good without a wrist strap. also heard that u can touch just anything largish every now n then. case, metal plate etc

MotherBoard: Asus Z87 Gryphon CPU: i5 4670k CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X41 GPU: Asus Radeon R9 290 DCUII RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 2x4GB

PSU: Corsair HX650v2 SemiModular Storage: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX Monitor: Samsung S24D590PL Keybord: Ducky Shine Zero Cherry  Red Mouse: Corsair Raptor M45

okay thanks guys 

Yeah the NZ prices suck, what shop did you use? and just dont wear shoes or socks and stand on a non carpet floor as it makes it a lot harder to build up static electricity which can fry components, just touch the PSU with it plugged in or any metal on your case

uhh a few shops :S used price spy for the part list

Just try not to build up static and discharge yourself by touching the metal part of your case. Like don't rub your feet on carpet or play with your hair.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

and don't build it if it's really cold out, lower humidity will cause more static electricity.

PC specs.3570k, asus p8z77m pro, 8gb corsair vengence 1600MHz, XFX 550w, seagate barracuda 1TB, MSI 660ti, cooler master k350, cooler master hyper tx3 evo.

Assuming the earth-continuity of your power supply is unbroken, just plug it into the wall and turn off the switch at the back.

Touching the metal casing of the psu will discharge your static.

Hold onto your case/touch the case (if it's steel or exposed metal) to help ground yourself if you can when installing sensitive hardware, although an antistatic wristband or mat will help and be less inconvenient. Try to build on a surface above the carpet if you have no option to be away from carpet and the likes.

I've seen people ignore these rules a lot, and I've not had issues myself (although my carpet doesn't create static for shit, really). Maybe be aware of what your clothing is made of as well. Fleecy stuff that's fresh out of the dryer is a no-no, esp. if it's long sleeved or not rolled up. In any case, I wouldn't act like you're guaranteed to screw your CPU if you don't follow any precautionary steps or something. It's just so easy to prevent and it's better to have a slim-to-none chance of problems occurring than otherwise.

Tl;dr is be aware of what you're doing when building, but don't psych yourself out too bad. Baby steps! You should be fine with a bit of effort.

uhh a few shops :S used price spy for the part list

And if you want to live up to the NZ stereotype, number 8 wire wrapped around your arm or ankle then run it outside to your house earthing stake

MoBo: GA-z77x-ud3h CPU: 2500K @ 3.1 (miss my h80) Cooler: Stock GPU: EVGA 780 ACX RAM: 8gb G.skill SSDs: 2X Sammy 120EVOs HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracudas PSU: Corsair RM750 Case: Blue NZXT H440

If you follow these rules before starting you'll be fine:

1. Don't build on carpet
  2. Don't wear wool
  3. Don't play with balloons
  4. Touch a grounded metal part after removing plastic from components

If you're really worried, you can install your PSU first. Plug it in without turning it on, that way the whole case is grounded.

If you follow these rules before starting you'll be fine:

• Don't build on carpet
  • Don't wear wool
  • Don't play with balloons
  • Touch a grounded metal part after removing plastic from components
If you're really worried, you can install your PSU first. Plug it in without turning it on, that way the whole case is grounded.
What's above is good information.

Though technically speaking, you don't need to touch an object that's grounded to ground yourself. You can touch any large-ish metal object (like a case).

This is called a floating ground (vs an earth ground which MG2R is talking about).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

• 2 weeks later...

I'm building my new RIG but something is bothering me related to ESD.

What are the tips on how to counter that? (well i don't have Antistatic wrist strap).

Equality doesn't mean Justice.

So what you mean to say is what can I use other than a wrist strap? 

The best way is to plug your psu into the wall but not switch it on at the wall and touch that as by plugging it in it's earthed, well it is in the UK anyway thats what the third pin is for. I imagine the US is similar.

Dont wear the sweater that grandma knitted you and dont build on carpet. Build on a surface like tile or wood.

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

wear rubber gloves...

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

Is it true that if I touch the  Metal part of Case frequently will help to lessen the Static charge?

Dont wear the sweater that grandma knitted you and dont build on carpet. Build on a surface like tile or wood.

Ill go for the Tile Surface , thanks for the tips.