ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

It wasn't wrongdoing, stupid. They don't care...

It is still not the right thing to do. Treat it as if YOU had to pay for it. Also you have the right to disagree with me but you don't have to get confrontational and start with the rudeness.

Learn to read, idiot. A lot of the socket pins were ripped out (as I already said). Would you want to buy that? 

Again, no need to call names. Just because someone else does it doesn't mean you should.

It is still not the right thing to do. Treat it as if YOU had to pay for it. Also you have the right to disagree with me but you don't have to get confrontational and start with the rudeness.

Then don't act like it. Nothing wrong in what I did.

Then don't act like it. Nothing wrong in what I did.

I am simply saying you did the wrong thing. You shouldn't have messed with SOMEONE ELSE's property.

I am simply saying you did the wrong thing. You shouldn't have messed with SOMEONE ELSE's property.

Get over it. I'm sick of people like you. It didn't belong to anyone. Now GTFO. 

Get over it. I'm sick of people like you. It didn't belong to anyone. Now GTFO. 

You have the right to disagree with me but no need to get hostile. The company owned that board. Please keep a good attitude on this forum. This is a really good community but it wont be if people are disrespectful to each other.

You have the right to disagree with me but no need to get hostile. The company owned that board. Please keep a good attitude on this forum. This is a really good community but it wont be if people are disrespectful to each other.

I can get hostile with anyone I want, especially with people who are ignorant like you. Just leave. Please, just don't post again, and leave. 

It's weird, the boards on display at my local Frys never get touched ever lol. They look like they were out of the box. Then again, it's hanging off a wall that's like 6-7 ft high

EDIT: lock incoming :wacko:

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

I can get hostile with anyone I want, especially with people who are ignorant like you. Just leave. Please, just don't post again, and leave. 

I have been here longer. I help people. I am far from ignorant. You posted something on the forum that I and many others believe are wrong. I will remain a member of this forum. If you don't like that you can ignore my posts or leave the forum your self. I hope you will remain a part of the wonderful community and will be respectful to others. Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with. 

I have been here longer. I help people. I am far from ignorant. You posted something on the forum that I and many others believe are wrong. I will remain a member of this forum. If you don't like that you can ignore my posts or leave the forum your self. I hope you will remain a part of the wonderful community and will be respectful to others. Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with. 

I'm not telling you to leave this forum, I just said to leave this post...

I've yet to short any components not using a wrist strap. Idk why I even bothered buying one. Certain climates and environments you're more prone to a sticky situation with ESD happening

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Because of my habit of building machines for other people, yes. Liability - Ain't nobody got time for that.

Hey guys i am going to be building my first PC YAY <3 and i did not buy a Anti-Static Wrist Strap and i was wondering if i should build my PC or buy one and wait a week until it arrives.

Discharge yourself by touching a pluged in PSU.

Before building my current rig i thought "this guy linus said that touching the connected psu is enough to get rid of static build up" so i did it and got zapped (pretty hard) by my static electrical charge, i have a small altar with his picture hidden in my closet where i worship my savior.

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1

Out of curiosity (and boredom) how many people actually use ESD wrist wraps when working on their computers or do you have other ways to de-static yourself before working on the parts? (and how many have lost components due to the fact they forgot to de-static yourself?) (i'm also aiming for amusing stories)

just use the old psu trick unless you always get electric shocks in your house

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

With the psu plugged in I just ground myself before I touch components, never had an issue

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz with NH-D14 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero | GPU: SLI GTX780 Windforce | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro | HDD: WD Black | PSUEVGA SuperNova 1300W | Case: Fractal Define R4 | Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p @ 96Hz | Mouse: DeathAdder  | Keyboard: CM Storm CherryMX Red | Headset: Kraken Pro | Headphones: HE-400

I don't use an ESD strip but my PSU is fully modular, so I installed and plugged that in first, that means the case is now grounded, just touch the case lightly and hazzah, your discharged. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

ive never had issues.. i get a static charge maybe once month often from the blanket on my bed so by the time im building ive already grounded myself via the old psu trick and have yet to lose a single component and considering ive built atleast 50 pc's (between personal and client builds) in the past year alone i would say i doubt i ever will. 

I built a PC on a carpeted floor in a basement that is open to the outside air after it rained the day before. I am pretty convinced I don't need a wrist strap.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I have never, nor do I ever, plan on using an ESD strap. Though as a general rule, I try not to hold onto my Van de Graaf Generator while building ;)

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I try to, it is not hurting me to do so.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

Well, I almost killed a sample HTC One at Costco because I touched the phone when I still had a lot of static built up...

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

touch the case right before anything else. You're good

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE