ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

just connect your power supply to the wall, turn the mains on but not the power supply itself, touch it, and you're grounded :)

You don't need to turn the supply on if it has an earth pin. The earth pins are not switched. That's in the uk anyway....

*** CPU - i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz *** MB - Asus Maximus V Gene *** RAM - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1600MHz *** GPU - Asus Direct CUII AMD Radeon HD 7870 *** Case - Corsair Obsidian 350D *** OS SSD120GB OCZ

*** Storage - 500GB WD Black (Gaming Drive), 1TB Seagate Barracuda (Storage) *** PSU - OCZ ZX 1000W *** CPU Cooler - Cooler Master V6 GT *** Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 *** Mouse - Corsair Vengeance K65

*** Headset - ROG Vulcan ANC

If it was on display I doubt it was ever going to be used, in fact it was probably broken already or touched by hundreds of other people.

Lol trying to justify your actions

*** CPU - i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz *** MB - Asus Maximus V Gene *** RAM - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1600MHz *** GPU - Asus Direct CUII AMD Radeon HD 7870 *** Case - Corsair Obsidian 350D *** OS SSD120GB OCZ

*** Storage - 500GB WD Black (Gaming Drive), 1TB Seagate Barracuda (Storage) *** PSU - OCZ ZX 1000W *** CPU Cooler - Cooler Master V6 GT *** Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 *** Mouse - Corsair Vengeance K65

I didn't need one but I had a cotton mat so if you have one of those you will be fine.

i7 4770k/Asus GTX 1080 TI/Asus RX5500 XT/Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB/Samsung 840 Pro 256GB/Seagate Barracuda 3TB/AX860i/ASUS Z87 PRO/Fractal Design Define R4/HD 598

Anti-Static Wrist Straps are as unnecessary as ...

... wearing a helmet on a bike.

... wearing seat belts in a car.

... having a car with air bags.

... not running with scissors.

... using rubber soled shoes in a high voltage area.

... not running around outside a swimming pool.

... wearing a hard hat in a construction zone.

... not leaning over a cliff with unstable soil.

... walking around in an uncovered area with metal objects in hand during a thunderstorm.

... jay walking in through a fast moving boulevard.

... not sticking a body part outside a fast moving car that's being driven in close proximity to other cars and objects.

Because that one time you least expected... ssnnaaappp... a static charge fries your computer or connected component.

Hyperbole.

i wear two just for extra protection :P

but truthfully if you have static problems ... like getting zapped all the time , or a fan of the polyester jump suit. i would wear one

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Never been to Frys, but generally stores would sell display models. I highly doubt that if a customer can touch it that they would actually try and sell it.

Lol trying to justify your actions

What? I wasn't the one that touched it. I was just saying, who cares if anyone does touch. It's never going to be used anyway.

I got one and clip it to the case when I build a pc, it was as cheap as a lollipop so why not, I thought.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

I personally think they are bullshit. I've built all my PC's without them, and no problems. I even lost my motherboard on the ground once, and it didn't break. I also vacuumed my PC once (old one though, didn't know it was bad), and it didn't do any harm..

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

Linus seems to be an advocate of them.

There's lots of static where he lives that's why :) 

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Static seems to only kill one part in every million builds*,  I wear a strap because 1. I have one 2. it doesn't get in the way and 3. if this ust happens to be the millionth build I would kick myself for not wearing a strap and loosing $200 worth of ram.

*Guestimated figure based on careless attention to detail and a general feel of the thing.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

before you build put on socks stand on carpet and rub your feet on the carpet ;) just kidiiing dont actually do that

That is what you do if you want to build up enough charge to see if you can burn up your anti-static wrist strap lol, especially in the winter time.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

What? I wasn't the one that touched it. I was just saying, who cares if anyone does touch. It's never going to be used anyway.

my bad  :P

I have my other (old pc(Athlon X2)) in a plastic shopping bag and it works fine...

Just make sure you ground yourself before you touch the components, a psu works, a radiator in your room works, even  heatsinks work (im not 100% about that one, but that's what they've told us at school) so in theory if you thouch north or south bridge you should be fine as you get on the same potencial as the other components..

I do that when i upgrade or play around with my own pc, but when i build a pc for someone else that have already payed me, i use the anti-static wrist strap with a modmat extreame (that was the best purchase ever.. the thing looks sick *-*) as i dont want to loose credibility or my own money

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

There's lots of static where he lives that's why :)

I live in the same area and don't have any issues

GW2: Vettexl.9726

If it was on display I doubt it was ever going to be used, in fact it was probably broken already or touched by hundreds of other people.

There were pins that were completely broken off.

You are a bad person. Yes it is a display model but it is still a motherboard. Just act like the items in the store are paid for out of your pocket.

Do you think they would sell the motherboard even though the socket's pins were ripped out?

those display models get abused so bad at my local frys. I once saw bubblegum stuck in an 2011 socket board.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

You are probably right. But does it make it okay to do something wrong just because other people have done it?

Do you think they would sell the motherboard even though the socket's pins were ripped out?

Of course not. It still doesn't excuse the wrongdoing however.

You shouldn't have touched it as someone would probably buy that and you wouldn't want someone to be touching your cpu socket.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

If you want to be safe, you can get one. Just attach it to your grill of your power supply (plugged in to the outlet but switched off). Or you could periodically touch your case every once in a while to ground yourself.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Not really needed. If you just touch the case often it will be fine. But i use one just because my little pc repair kit i bought came with it.

Case: Corsair white 600T | Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | CPU: intel i5-357OK oc to 4.3 | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i | Graphics Card: Evga 660 Ti FTW signature 2 | Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GBPower supply: ModXstream-pro 600W | SSD: Samsung 840 Series | Keyboard: Corsair K70Mouse: Corsair M65 | MonitorAsus VS228H-P 22-inch | 2nd Monitor:  Viewsonic 22 inch-LED 3rd Monitor: LG 32 inch tv | Mic: audio-technica AT2020 USB | Headset 1:  Audio technica ATH-M50s | Headset 2: Corsair Vengeance 2000.

Of course not. It still doesn't excuse the wrongdoing however.

It wasn't wrongdoing, stupid. They don't care...

You shouldn't have touched it as someone would probably buy that and you wouldn't want someone to be touching your cpu socket.

Learn to read, idiot. A lot of the socket pins were ripped out (as I already said). Would you want to buy that?