ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

So what you mean to say is what can I use other than a wrist strap? 

The best way is to plug your psu into the wall but not switch it on at the wall and touch that as by plugging it in it's earthed, well it is in the UK anyway thats what the third pin is for. I imagine the US is similar.

Even though my PSU is painted with black?

Equality doesn't mean Justice.

yeah it's still meatallic enough I should think you can also fit it to your case whilst its plugged in and just touch the case instead.

yeah it's still meatallic enough I should think you can also fit it to your case whilst its plugged in and just touch the case instead.

Is it okay if my CASE is FULLY COATED with BLACK?

Does it still be effective?

By the way i have CORSAIR 200R  Casing

Why does anyone even worry about this. I have never ever heard of anyone damaging a modern PC component with their static electricity. Someone I know built a PC with one of those things (image below) on the desk next to him, someone else I know frequently builds PCs on carpets in a dressing down and slippers. There really isn't anything to worry about. I constantly pull my PC apart on my carpeted floor while wearing socks, last night I did just that during a thunder storm. People really need to chill when it comes to static.

Plasma_lamp_touching.jpg

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

my case is coated in black I've never recieved a static shock whilst replacing things but I've never been one to get static shocks anyway.

Why does anyone even worry about this. I have never ever heard of anyone damaging a modern PC component with their static electricity. Someone I know built a PC with one of those things (image below) on the desk next to him, someone else I know frequently builds PCs on carpets in a dressing down and slippers. There really isn't anything to worry about. I constantly pull my PC apart on my carpeted floor while wearing socks, last night I did just that during a thunder storm. People really need to chill when it comes to static.

Well i'm just being careful with my stuffs. 

that's why i consider things like this.

my case is coated in black I've never recieved a static shock whilst replacing things but I've never been one to get static shocks anyway.

So it works even its coated with black.

Well thanks for the answer.

wear rubber gloves...

nope, don't. unless they are special ESD ones ;)

TBH I never did take any precautions other than touching a metal parts (like a heating radiator) before grabbing any components.

I bet the anti-static wrist strap Linus uses on his ankle during his build guides is non existant.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

turn off your psu, plug it in and touch it every now and then or touch your case, but if you haven't recieved static shocks in your house before there is no reason for it to happen when you are building your pc.

the only place i usually worry about esd is when handling the cpu directly as that is the part that is mot prone to damage from esd. It is almost  never a problem, just touch a grounded piece of metal every now and then so you don't have to worry about it

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Put your power supply into the case and plug your power supply to the outlet but switched off on the power supply to ground your case. Just touch a non-painted metal part on the case to ground yourself every once in a while to ground yourself.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Even though my PSU is painted with black?

Don't do this! You want to be on the same static plain as your components, which IS NOT earth ground. This is a big misconception that people do. Some do this with a power supply and hook their antistatic strap to it and that is something you DON'T want to do. Just touch your case regularly, don't work on carpet and use a wood table and you'll be just fine.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

It's genuinely not that much of a problem nowadays. 10 years ago, maybe.

Compatible with Windows 95

Can I just touch the case? Building a pc.

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

Yeah, you could buy one of them wrist wrap to 'instantly' ground yourself, but touching the case works just fine. Avoid building it on carpet and stuff like that, and it'll be alright. Or a turned-off powered on PSU.

Touch the PSU while it is turned of, but blugged into a wall.

when you mean switched off you mean turned off with the switch on the back 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Touch the PSU while it is turned of, but blugged into a wall.

Which part do i touch?

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

Which part do i touch?

the metal part of the psu

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

when you mean switched off you mean turned off with the switch on the back 

So wait do I turn it off at the wall or on the power unit?

that might be little hard in britain since theres no grounding pins outside the plug, but you can touch the psu like EVERYONE ELSE in the world says. :P

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |

So wait do I turn it off at the wall or on the power unit?

power unit 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

that might be little hard in britain since theres no grounding pins outside the plug, but you can touch the psu like EVERYONE ELSE in the world says. :P

Umm.. We haev ground. 3 pins. Live, Neutral and Earth.

hello