ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

I don't. It took me FOREVER to get all the parts for my rig, and I threw it together on my bed, with me kneeling on a carpet floor.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

If you don't want to use one, it's your choice, but lying to yourself about it being just as safe is silly.

Personally I don't use one because I'm lazy and don't care.  Yes I've fried a mobo before with static.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

If you don't want to use one, it's your choice, but lying to yourself about it being just as safe is silly.

Personally I don't use one because I'm lazy and don't care.  Yes I've fried a mobo before with static.

I guess if you don't value money enough & are lazy and don't care whatever. But hey even if I didn't give a shit about money and didn't care about zapping or ruining components, it would still be a pain to have to re-order a PC part just because you were too lazy to take 5 seconds to put on a strap. Doesn't that actually create more work for a lazy person to have to do to replace the product? LOL.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

I don't. It took me FOREVER to get all the parts for my rig, and I threw it together on my bed, with me kneeling on a carpet floor.

The circle jerk about safety is forreals here.

Fireworks building requires you to touch a grounded copper plate before entering the building to remove built up static electricity. They do not wear straps inside the building for added protection. Why? It's unnecessary.

I guess if you don't value money enough & are lazy and don't care whatever. But hey even if I didn't give a shit about money and didn't care about zapping or ruining components, it would still be a pain to have to re-order a PC part just because you were too lazy to take 5 seconds to put on a strap. Doesn't that actually create more work for a lazy person to have to do to replace the product? LOL.

I still equalize my body charge with the case before picking up any parts or putting anything into the case, it's not willy-nilly, but yes, it's a pain.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

The circle jerk about safety is forreals here.

Fireworks building requires you to touch a grounded copper plate before entering the building to remove built up static electricity. They do not wear straps inside the building for added protection. Why? It's unnecessary.

Sooooo, being cautious when handling expensive components is circle jerk now ? WAT indeed.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Sooooo, being cautious when handling expensive components is circle jerk now ? WAT indeed.

"Oh I'm being safe, I don't want to break it"

Do you know how hard it is to kill a motherboard with static electricity from your body? I've tried, it's a bitch. You actually have to put effort in to it.

when you spend alot of money like i do like thousands on a pc then the $5 wrist band and little hassel doesnt seem so bad

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

"Oh I'm being safe, I don't want to break it"

Do you know how hard it is to kill a motherboard with static electricity from your body? I've tried, it's a bitch. You actually have to put effort in to it.

People live in greater and lesser static prone environments.  Temperature, air pressure, humidity, etc.

helmets are a gimmick and useless.

ive never fallen off my bike or crashed.

(but what if i do? O.o )

there u go.

you wear a helmet riding a bike...lol.. what backwards state do you live in

...........I mean I probably haven't rode a bike in like 5+ years but what would wearing a helmet be dumb? Like if you are just riding the bike at 5 mph down to the mail box it's one thing. I use to go on long biking trips and always used a helmet. Been on 50+ mile trips with some groups and even experienced bikers very occasionally fell, even saw one time where the helmet was crucial...we were going pretty fast though.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

one where if i did end up crashing i dont wanna split my skull open like my brother did.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

one where if i did end up crashing i dont wanna slip my skull open like my brother did.

Some people just live on the edge bro...cracking open their skulls and zapping their motherboards! The world is a crazy place! LOL.

Now I'm following this thread so I can patrol and police everyone who talks about all of the terrible safety measure they use! LOL. I bet ya'll use barb fittings on your custom water cooling loops....and don't even have a securing mechanism of some sort......YA'LL LIVE ON THE EDGE, I have to admit. #Kappa

I am paranoid of ESD. I always wear an anti-static wrist band and periodically touch a grounded piece of metal. {STORY} One time, I was building my PC and I invited my friend over because he wanted to help build it. While I was installing the radiator, he unboxed my two 970's while sitting on the carpet. Oh brother.. Then, he says "It's 2014, no part will get ESD'd" while holding both of them in his hands while standing on the carpet.........I literally died......

CPU: Intel Core I74790k

Some people just live on the edge bro...cracking open their skulls and zapping their motherboards! The world is a crazy place! LOL.

and some girls have friend 300+ dollar components and werent able to replace them because they didnt wear protection.

and some of those girls brothers were hospitalized and perminately disabled because they diddnt wear protection.

some people get pregnant because they didnt wear protection.

some peoples identity get stolen because the didnt protect it.

lessson: be a paranoid&terifyed person all the time or you'll regret it.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

For me, it acts as a $5 insurance policy. Ive heard of people discharging. I rather not take the risk. Im not made of money.

Long time Linus fan with too many different forums to keep track of LTT's. 

Maybe because static electricity could very well ruin your $1000 GTX titan. Or destroy that 1 of a kind custom PCB graphicscard. I wear a anti-static strap on my ankle whenever I am working with computers because it costs $5, and could very well save you from a bad day, and having to spend another $500 because you rekted your 970

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

I give you one example. I started to ride a bike since I was like 4-5 years old. Only once I really needed the helmet because my brakes dun goofed and sent me flying across the handles on a straight road mind you. When you are looking at the asphalt and only thing between your skull and said asphalt is a helmet you are f*cking glad. If difference between being dead or hospitalized and walking away laughing is being a little cautious, I take it.

I have similar experience with skiing. Even when it happens like once across 17 years of skiing, riding a bike etc. It can happen. Believe me, it can change how you look at things.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Maybe because static electricity could very well ruin your $1000 GTX titan. Or destroy that 1 of a kind custom PCB graphicscard. I wear a anti-static strap on my ankle whenever I am working with computers because it costs $5, and could very well save you from a bad day, and having to spend another $500 because you rekted your 970

We'll the "cool kids" would rather YOLO it out, yo.

You can pick up over 400 volts of static electricity just from walking. So yeah there is a purpose behind anti static wrist bands. While failure rates due to it being low among us when you're dealing with someone else's paid merchandise the last thing you need to be worried about is accidentally shorting out a $500 GPU. In home use I would agree its just pointless as long as your smart enough to discharge yourself. Tho working in commercial environments it's something I personally wouldn't hesitate to wear.

As in the old ISA cards and the motherboards back from about 1982-1992? Because I've been working on them recently without an anti static protection and have had no issues, and all of the parts I have are unobtainable anywhere, especially some of the parts that were rare when they were still being made.

I work on industrial controls that run from 386 to windows XP. And anti static is just fair warning, you can do whatever you want, but when your a$$ is on the line(explosive environment) use antistatic stuff

I would love to see @LinusTech get an ESD gun and hit various computer components while building a system and seeing what, if anything, fails. I'm sure it would toast a magnetic HDD but idk about solid state stuff like ram.

May your framertes be high and your remperatures low.

I have an anti static wristband and on my first PC builkd I tried to use it but it annoyed me, so I took it off. Don't think I've ever fried anything due to ESD, if you're working inside of a computer case odds are you are touching metal almost the entire time (resting your arms on the sides or whatever) so I don't worry too much about it. It's not like I constantly take my power supply out... I can see why people would wear one if you arent around a psu

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

One thing I don't get is how manufacturers make out that their products are fragile, when I've dropped a motherboard, shorted it out multiple times, dropped screw drivers onto it, and accidentally spilled water on it, and had it working after it dried out with no problems. And that is my old super socket 7 motherboard with its non-solid cap capacitors.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL