ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

Honestly the carpet thing is the same as "don't work in a bath filled with water"

when you're just on a floor, just touch the case and you're fine -- use the box your part came in, touch a metal box, and you're good.

I understand professionalism, but for home use and doing some random crap you're basically in the mindset of getting hit by lightning by just going outside. 

Analog I/O boards tend to be expensive and sensitive. I wouldn't dare use no strap if failure will cost you 120k a day in lost production.

Analog I/O boards tend to be expensive and sensitive. I wouldn't dare use no strap if failure will cost you 120k a day in lost production.

Jokes on you; I don't know what Analog I/O boards are :P

I used one. I thought it was a good idea to buy an $8 wrist band just to be safe since I was building a $2k rig.

Well too late, just placed 800$ on a new mobo/cpu

The box acts as an anti-static workstation

As in the old ISA cards and the motherboards back from about 1982-1992? Because I've been working on them recently without an anti static protection and have had no issues, and all of the parts I have are unobtainable anywhere, especially some of the parts that were rare when they were still being made.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

You could still build up a static charge from something else and accidentally release it onto one of the components.

Lol, that's what I use my desk chair for, its not like wood is a good conductor.

PMSL

I built and rebuilt and cleaned my system on a fucking shag carpet, don't give me this crap. Use common sense to not increase static buildup and touch the bloody case every so often.

I have done this also many times and not only with my rigs, but with those of others who I have to repair and never had  problem. While theoretically static electricity can kill sensitive components, imo, one has better chances of winning the lottery than this happening to contemporary computer components.

The only time I had a component die was when I accidentally bumped into the table where I stored my 3930K, which consequently fell on the ground and died. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I have done this also many times and not only with my rigs, but with those of others who I have to repair and never had  problem. While theoretically static electricity can kill sensitive components, imo, one has better chances of winning the lottery than this happening to contemporary computer components.

Exactly! Basically like getting struck by lightning, twice! How many times do you actually "shock" somebody?

Taking your socks off and being on the floor with no carpet is being paranoid enough.

Exactly! Basically like getting struck by lightning, twice! How many times do you actually "shock" somebody?

Taking your socks off and being on the floor with no carpet is being paranoid enough.

Electronics need to be worked on in a clean environment, why would you work on carpet in the first place?

PMSL

Hahahah, yeah! :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

It works well until you put components in the case.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Electronics need to be worked on in a clean environment, why would you work on carpet in the first place?

Because its comfy and my ass is not getting cold, at least that's way I do it. Also my carpet is white so it's easy to find screws and other tiny things, which I tend to misplace, despite having a magnetic tray. :D

The way i get rid of static is by going over to my grounded light switch and touching the screws with both hands after that I touch my power supply every so often.

The way i get rid of static is by going over to my grounded light switch and touching the screws with both hands after that I touch my power supply every so often.

This thread is turning into superstitions now.

I might as well cut the power cord on one side, put the exposed copper in my anal opening, and the other side in the outlet to be 100% safe right?

Every man is the architect of his own fortune. I am not going to risk mine or somebody else's components just because ''these things didn't happen''

Antistatic gloves is the way for me. No cable to get into way + no finger oils or sweat on components. 

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

This thread is turning into superstitions now.

I might as well cut the power cord on one side, put the exposed copper in my anal opening, and the other side in the outlet to be 100% safe right?

You could do that but i dont know if that would feel too good. lol

@marat569 I can afford many things, but even if I spend $50 on a component, not using a $1 (or less!) anti static strap as a precaution is the same thing a dangling money with two fingers over an open flame. Sure, you'll probably hold onto it, but why not be sure and stop taking risks? I don't want to lose any money because I was lazy or careless. I'm wagering you don't back up your data either.

this. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

just cause the box is antistatic doesnt make you anti static....

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

helmets are a gimmick and useless.

ive never fallen off my bike or crashed.

(but what if i do? O.o )

there u go.

-Jim Hensen

working on the floor sucks so hard, especially for my back. I built a pc building cart out of a old microwave cart I was given. Being able to sit in a chair and build is so nice. I can move the cart or myself , what ever is easier. I had plans to build one from scratch with 2x4's but with the upgrades I gave this one there is no need currently.

Wonder how much a bad back would get if I built a computer in a desk case... I have a really bad case as well... :(

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Hell ya I use one. Do you think they are recommended for no reason? I use them whenever handling precious components, like a CPU, graphics card, motherboard, well pretty much everything besides fans...

It costs $10, like if you are building a PC anywhere between $500-$500 dollars, why waste any money, or risk the parts off some stupid static? It's an EXTREMELY SMALL INVESTMENT to ensure you do no damage to your hardware...personally I think people are stupid NOT to use one. That's just my 2 cents...many people will argue "oh well I have never used one and have never had any problems!". This may be true for some but I fear that day you zap your $300-$1000 dollar CPU while building a new computer. Then you might regret it...

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

helmets are a gimmick and useless.

ive never fallen off my bike or crashed.

(but what if i do? O.o )

there u go.

Ex, freaking, actly.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Ex, freaking, actly.

i was going to say condom, but i dont have sex while riding bikes.

-Jim Hensen