ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

Nah you're fine, just touch something metal before you start building/ after you take a break, and don't go rubbing wolly socks around on the carpet the whole time while wearing your christmas sweaters ;)

Please use http://pcpartpicker.com/ for everybodones sake!

and quote me if you want me to see a reply please :)

pewpewpewphysicslazers!!!

I built my PC on the carpet, but I had plenty of boxes from all that Amazon packaging, so I flattened the boxes onto the carpet to sit on and used a wooden table when working on the motherboard.

Took delivery of the wrist-strap a month later  <_<

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

just touch the powersupply or a metal part of the case often with your hands to discharge any static. also, don't shuffle dance while building or working inside your computer.

mc-random-6-5.gif?w=320&h=240

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Try not to built your PC on the carpet. But if you are, then yes, it's going to be needed. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

You should be ok without one if you just touch your case every so often

My Rig: i5 3570K, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H, 8 GB Ram, Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB WD Blue HDD, Corsair CX 750M, Hyper Evo 212, Fractal R4 (Black Pearl)

Set Up: 2 X 21.5 Asus VE228 (1920 x 1080), Razer Deathadder 2014, Max Knighthawk X9 (Cherry Reds)

Hey, 

I have all my parts for my pc but the case and want to test it before i place everything in the case. Any way to ground myself with a esd wristband instead of a case?

CPU: Intel Core I74790k

Well, if the outlets are properly grounded then hooking up to the ground on the sockets is perfect.

If not, Is the house old? If it's still using metal piping, then you can discharge on the water tap.

Hey, 

I have all my parts for my pc but the case and want to test it before i place everything in the case. Any way to ground myself with a esd wristband instead of a case?

Connect the bracelet to the exterior of a grounded PSU or computer case that is plugged in but not on, like wise you can periodically touch a the PSU case and work on surfaces that are non-carpeted.

Connect the bracelet to the exterior of a grounded PSU or computer case that is plugged in but not on, like wise you can periodically touch a the PSU case and work on surfaces that are non-carpeted.

does it have to be plugged in the psu

Yes but with the switch on the back turned off.

i'm a potato

Don't plug the ESD part into a PSU connector, just attach it to the exterior metal case that part is grounded as long as the PSU is plugged in the wall but not powered on.

Don't plug the ESD part into a PSU connector, just attach it to the exterior metal case that part is grounded as long as the PSU is plugged in the wall but not powered on.

my psu doesnt have a switch

my psu doesnt have a switch

It will be ok as long as the PSU is plugged into the wall and no load is applied, basically in an off state.

It will be ok as long as the PSU is plugged into the wall and no load is applied, basically in an off state.

ok thanks

i plugged in my dell vostro to the wall and its not on but there is a light inside. is that ok?

i plugged in my dell vostro to the wall and its not on but there is a light inside. is that ok?

Vostro as in the laptop that's not gonna work if you trying to ground yourself....

It needs to be an internal PSU that's plugged in for it to be grounded.

If you have a metal waterpipe in your home you can also ground yourself based on that as ForsakenLive said

Vostro as in the laptop that's not gonna work if you trying to ground yourself....

It needs to be an internal PSU that's plugged in for it to be grounded.

If you have a metal waterpipe in your home you can also ground yourself based on that as ForsakenLive said

its a vostro 200 desktop

its a vostro 200 desktop

Yeah it's fine, it's basically saying that the motherboard is getting power.

Just strap it to an unpainted metal surface inside that case and you'll be fine, you won't get zapped.

its a vostro 200 desktop

Ah ok that will be fine then just connect the bracelet wither to the metal case of the computer or the PSU.

Yeah it's fine, it's basically saying that the motherboard is getting power.

Just strap it to an unpainted metal surface inside that case and you'll be fine, you won't get zapped.

Ah ok that will be fine then just connect the bracelet wither to the metal case of the computer or the PSU.

thank you guys so much for the help , cant wait to build my pc!

• 4 weeks later...

How do i mount a anti static wrist strap to a wall outlet, about to do my first own build. I have built before :)

If you want a build log or whatever just ask! :)

How do i mount a anti static wrist strap to a wall outlet, about to do my first own build. I have built before :)

If you want a build log or whatever just ask! :)

is the wall outlet metal? because if its not metal and therefore not earthed its pointless. 

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

I would exercise caution and suggest not mounting it directly to the wall, but instead plugging in your PSU and connecting it to that. Also, if you have a mostly metal construction case, you can attach it to that.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Yeah, I don't think I would feel safe connecting it directly do a wall outlet as the above post said. It sounds pretty sketchy, and reminds me of someone jamming a fork into their wall outlet.

Plug in your PSU, keep it switched OFF, and connect yourself to the metal grille of the PSU.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Plugging a wrist strap into a wall ground is common practice.

If you are living in North America the bottom round plug is a ground. The wrist strap should actually fit quite snugly into the spot.

In that round plug there is actually a metal pole that goes straight down into the ground. The reason it is there is because if you are using

a vacuum or something that uses a lot of current, if you short circuit it, instead of it going across your heart and killing in it will go to the ground.

Attaching to your power supply is another option, but it won't do as much if you don't plug it in.

The danger of plugging the power supply is that if the switch on the supply has failed then you risk electrocution. 

If you do not plug anything into the ground socket then you are not truly grounded.

Source: In training Electrical Engineering

Found this image on google but searching ground socket as well

7_outlet_wiring.jpg

If you still don't feel comfortable connect yourself to your case. Attaching yourself to an non-grounded power supply is even more dangerous as

capacitors inside could discharge and shock you.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.