ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

We have been warned not to use them as they can kill if used improperly, instead all our workbenches and floors are antistatic.

I'm sure its been said, but unless you are somehow connecting the wrist band to HV mains outside your house, or you just happen to have a Microwave Oven Transformer plugged in and sitting at your desk where your feet happen to be, their not going to kill you. By the way, if your situation is even remotely similar to either of these situations, congratulations, you have been promoted to a professional idiot. 

As for if I use one, I don't. It's not because I don't  have one or because I don't like the idea, but because I also build radios and other various electronics, and it  gets in the way when soldering. I have a nice ESD mat I use  instead, and it  works very well. If you have a similar setup, an ESD mat is worth the trouble to pick up.

My signature is in Comic Sans, therefore I am a professional graphic designer.
DOeS THiBOThEYOU?

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1864

it is so complicated.

If you find a wrist strap complicated walking and chewing gum at the same time must really flummox you. ;)

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

If you find a wrist strap complicated walking and chewing gum at the same time must really flummox you. ;)

No, I meant, where to put it, making sure the thing is correctly grounded, like I said "just attach it to case, some say with PSU pluged turned off some say PSU plugged turned on".

No, I meant, where to put it,

Not even going to go there. :D

"This too shall pass"

You have to try pretty hard to actually fry something with static, I wear one if I'm using valuable components but if I'm just tinkering with old laptops + stuff I don't bother.

I've forgotten to wear one though, I think everyone has... :P

Thank you.

Wardojack.

I've been building PCs for nearly 15 years. I've worked profession around PC and servers for 7 years. I've never once used a wrist strap, though I think anti static floor and table mats are very much more useful than a wrist strap.

I don't get it...?

Don't worry about it.  Just my attempt at levity.

"This too shall pass"

I would if I had one.

But at the same time, the parts I used back before I even knew what anti-static meant, were so much larger proportion of my income than the ones I currently use, it kinda feels pointless to jump trough the hoops to get one as we don't have an actual physical store to pop in and get some.

So I just touch the case and/or similar metal object and sod it. Having said that, wouldn't mind having one when working on a friend's computers. Just so I can say it wasn't me.

But if I were to break theirs I'd probably foot the bill anyway, since it was me who broke it. 

What? How? What are you touching? A hot main wire?

Its not that hard to connect it to ground. 

Possibly, or through a highly unlikely combination of broken switches,defective indicator lights and an interrimitent fault of a wire touching the PSU case the computer chassis may be intermitently live.

If merely touching the case with your hand, you will get a 'belt' and thrown over the room (remember 240V in Britain) sore but you may well survive[1].  If you are permanently attached to ground, throuugh a wrist strap say, the current will continue to flow through you untill a fuse gives or the wires /components give way quite probably killing you.

I agree the circumstances in which you get a death shock are convoluted and HIGHLY unlikely, but not imposible.  I wouldn't let this extremely slim chance put me off wearing one (and I wouldn't use the "you might die" argument for not wearing one) if I felt the pros outweighed the other cons(getting in the way etc).  But living in Scotland with its high humidity static is just not the problem it is in some other places . Sensible precautions (not building on carpet, not shuffling, not running your fingers through your hair, not petting animals, etc) are plenty .

[1] I remember years ago 'working' on a "Dansette"[2] (a cheapo semi portable record player) a few times I got a 'belt' from it which whilst sore, frightening etc didn't kill me, as I wasn't wired in to any circuit which I would have been if wearing an anti static wrist strap and it was fixed to ground.  Normally I wouldn't work on something that was 'live' but I am fairly sure (can't remember this was fortyfive[ish] years ago:told you I was old) that it stopped playing until a bit was pushed back in whilst it was still switched on, if you weren't careful you touched a 'live' bit and got a shock.

[2] http://www.dansetterevolver.co.uk/dr/Home.html

"This too shall pass"

So I'm going to be building my PC soon (Either today, or some time next week) and I was curious whether a Anti- Static strap is "Really" necessary... 

Because the only PCB im going to be touching a decent amount of is the MoBo.

Yes it will be on carpet.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Then it's EXTREMELY recommended

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Put the PSU in the PC, plug it in but leave it off, touch your PC case every time you pick up a component and you will be fine.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just touch a large piece of metal (like your case)every few minutes and don't drag your feet on the carpet and you should be fine.

Edit: If you are constantly getting zapped by static/live in a really dry area then you should use one.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Ordinarily no, in your case you need (well you don't NEED one but better safe than sorry) one as you're doing it on carpet.

So I'm going to be building my PC soon (Either today, or some time next week) and I was curious whether a Anti- Static strap is "Really" necessary... 

Just do it somewhere with tile and you won't need a strap. Linus does builds in his kitchen which is why he doesn't use one.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

No not really. Just touch a big metal object now and then to discharge any buildup of static on your body.

However, if static shocks are something you get very constantly in your house, then you might want to consider picking one up just in case. Better safe than sorry.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

just grown yourself by touching something metal as has already been said. if you live in a humid environment this isn't a big issue but if you live in a dry climate static can be on everything. Better safe then sorry but your call man. 

Dont do it on carpet, why not put it on a table or put some cardboard down

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I really don't get why people still ask this. I was unsure of this too when I first started, but rather with what to buy, not if I should buy it or risk destroying components worth thousand of dollars because I was cheap.

So of course you should buy it. You can get them for less than two dollars on amazon.

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

Dont do it on carpet, why not put it on a table or put some cardboard down

I am doing it on a Table... I was thinking about putting cardboard down but I didn't know if it would work well...

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

I am doing it on a Table... I was thinking about putting cardboard down but I didn't know if it would work well...

a table is fine, you dont have to worry THAT much

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just do it somewhere with tile and you won't need a strap. Linus does builds in his kitchen which is why he doesn't use one.

I'm pretty sure he says he has it around his ankle to have it out of the way