ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

Would wearing socks be a bad thing?

Yeah. Those create static electricity when you walk on carpet.

Also, put the pets in another room if you have any (minus rodents in cages or something like that). Just keep dogs and cats or fluffy house friends in the other room.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

PSU literally provides your PC with the power it needs to run. I would imagine that static electricity and a box that can discharge crazy amount of electricity don't mix too well....

You can keep a metal object around you and touch it once in awhile. If you're concerned, you can use an anti-static strap and put it on your ankle.

hmm.. so take the anti static strap. Take the crocodile clip off so the round thing is bare - would connecting that to my PC headphone jack also discharge current?

... dick references aside

hmm.. so take the anti static strap. Take the crocodile clip off so the round this is bare - would connecting that to my PC headphone jack also discharge current?

... dick references aside

I would just take the headphones out. I don't think at this point it would make much difference but I feel you should.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

legit just touch something metal like every 5 minutes to be safe, your case works fine for this 

legit just touch something metal like every 5 minutes to be safe, your case works fine for this 

This,the frame of your case should be metal,just touch it once a while,which you are doing anyway because you're building a pc.

First you only have to worry about static in very dry climates. Second touching anything that is grounded will discharge you. A box is not grounded, ether is the metal case unless its plugged in, then you shouldn't be working on it when its plugged in. Metal plumbing is grounded, So is a faucet. If is raining nothing to worry about, unless its an electrical storm, then nothing should be plugged in, but you can work on it  

Just touch something like a radiator (I'm talking about the ones that heat the room and you'll be fine. Also don't rub your feet on the carpet, if you do that I'm really sorry but you're an idiot.

Also don't rub your feet on the carpet, if you do that I'm really sorry but you're an idiot.

Also please don't touch a house radiator while it's hot. That's just stupid. If it's hot, just touch a faucet or other internal plumbing.

I read the title and thought you didn't know how to use a toilet....  :rolleyes:

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

Use a lint roller to get rid of static electricity 

vandergraphanimate.gif

Because he had a hard drive.

Use a lint roller to get rid of static electricity 

vandergraphanimate.gif

did he died?

Put your motherboard on top of the motherboard box, discharge yourself on the box i guess.

It's unlikely you're going to damage anything, but it's better safe than sorry

How would you ground yourself to cardboard

Fort%20Duke_H.jpg?1379080102

Because he had a hard drive.

You don't have to ground yourself.

You're discharging the static into the motherboard through the box.

It can't get damaged and you'll be at the same static level as the box/motherboard

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

You don't have to ground yourself.

You're discharging the static into the motherboard through the box.

It can't get damaged and you'll be at the same static level as the box/motherboard

Cardboard doesn't conduct electricity though

Touching the cardboard wouldn't do anything...

Cardboard doesn't conduct electricity though

Touching the cardboard wouldn't do anything...

Everything can hold an electric charge. Static is the result of electrons either leaving or being moved to another object

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

preheat the oven to 500 degrees, then sit in it and bake for 10 minutes.

after that the discharging will be complete u may now build your PC.

lol im kidding of course dont do that. Just touch some metal youll be fine

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

preheat the oven to 500 degrees, then sit in it and bake for 10 minutes.

after that the discharging will be complete u may now build your PC.

And have you heard of the new ios feature iWave? Microwave charging is the future.

Never had a problem with static by touching the case before any tinkering :)

And have you heard of the new ios feature iWave? Microwave charging is the future.

totally dude. better than that 5 minute rapid charge junk the competitors have... all i need is 30 seconds in a microwave

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Do not put it in a headphone port.

You can put it into the bottom ground hole of an American AC socket or by an alligator clip for about 10 cents.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

u can use anti static wrist strap to discharge yourself. 

My rig:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K

Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB GDDR5

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB

SSD: Samsung SSD 840 EVO-Series 250GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda HDD 1TB

Monitor: ASUS PG278Q ROG Swift 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor

Cooling: Corsair CPU Cooler H100i

Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series Platinum Power Supply AX860i

PC Case: Corsair Graphite Series White 760T

I plug in the PSU outside of the case, and just occasionally touch the housing of the PSU throughout the build.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro