ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

When working on my PC, I'm barefoot in my garage, which has a concrete floor, and the garage is metal. That's usually enough, but if I'm feeling like I need extra precaution, I will touch the wall of the garage, which is bare metal, not painted

I used one the first time I built a computer because I had it handy. After that I didn't bother.

I'm lazy and think it's a waste of money so no I don't use one but I also lean against my case when looking over into it while it's on a desk so I am touching my case to ground myself at all times. And I keep my house sub 70f to help minimize the humidity, 20% at most is what I've seen. At least in the last 3 years it's worked wonders.

you'd want to make the potential equal by touching the case or any other large metal object, then work floating. It is hard to ground everything in any case

I just shove my hand in

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

No! But I wish I had one!!....

The blood on to your heart start pumping faster when you notice me.

But is ok.

Judge me for my nickname, my avatar and for the low amounts of posts I have. I will keep your heart beat raised.

nope just ground myself to my case.

Motherboard - Asus Z97-WS ll Processor -Intel i7-4790K ll Cooling- Custom Loop ll RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB(2x8) @2400 ll Graphics Card  - EVGA GeForce GTX 980 TI ll PSU - Corsair AX 1200 Watts ll SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB ll HDD - seagate barracuda green 2TB & Seagate 4TB ll Case - Silverstone TJ11 ll Audio - Asus Xonar Essence STX  ll OS- Win 10 PRO 64-bit ll Keyboard- CM Storm QuickfireTK Green Switchesll Mouse- Logitech G502

I got a static wrist strap for my computer build and I have ZERO clue where the hell I'm supposed to attach it to.

Thanks for your help,

~Davsmith4

You put it where it goes.

But I think you're supposed to put it around your wrist/ankle and clip it to something that's grounded. My preferred grounding spot is the screw on electrical outlets.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

wrist or ankle

attach the other end to a grounded PSU or outlet i believe

what do you mean by grounded? Is there a way to ground the PSU or is it already grounded?

You put it on the metal part on the case or a part on the motherboard.

Linus's video should help you out

first build video that came up in google search

basically plug it in to a 3 prong outlet

Great! I had it right then :D

Just wanted to check since it would be pretty sad if I screw ed my first build on something this simple.

Thanks

I know I should and in college it was mandatory while we worked on a PC but honestly when doing something with my PC, I just lay it on my bed and put my hand on the PSU. No issues after 3 years of doing this.

i do now, but i got it for free! but it is a waste of money, you can just use a copperband and tie it to your radiator!

When it comes to old pc which I dont care about, I just touch big metal side panel or psu every now and then.

But when it is my gaming pc, I make damn sure I have antistatic wrist thingy on me and am super careful with everything like I was dealing with diamonds hah. :) nobody wants to fak up their daily pc.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

nah i dont where one when building and i havent had any problems yet but if you want to be safe get yourself one.

I know I should and in college it was mandatory while we worked on a PC but honestly when doing something with my PC, I just lay it on my bed and put my hand on the PSU. No issues after 3 years of doing this.

Our college had them[1] but one of the lecturers put forward lots of reasons NOT to use them.  So in all the units I built/reconfigured WHY I never wore a strap .

[1] As they contained a circuit (only a resistor in series but technically electronics) and because they were (supposed) to be used by members of the public they had (internal policy rather than law) to have annual PAT tests .

About the only time they saw the outside of the wee baggies they lived in was once a year for these tests.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I use a copper wire strapped to my ankle, and the other end is tied to my district heating radiator. (kinda ghetto) :D  It does the job. lol

HARDWARE INTERRUPT MOTHAF#%A!
WINDOWS 10 = adware, driven by spyware

I didn't even know static was an issue, thats kinda scary. Surprised I haven't killed a few computer components.

Yea i used one while zapping my olf iphone with ~250,000 Volts, obviously due to me wearing it the iphone survived without any damage 

chJhf.jpg

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

The case of the PSU is generally earthed however is fatal for you if you were to get a shock from the computer somehow in one arm out the other via your heart.

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)