ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

I don't see how people get so worked up about zapping their equipment.

Everyone touches something every now and then and gets a little shock.

Touch such items and you'll be fine.

If you live in the Netherlands there's a ground pin that's out in the open on most sockets.

Touching your PC case will discharge you too.

Touching the radiator will also do the trick.

Just don't rub your feet across the floor after you're done, if you still mess up after that you shouldn't ever touch a PC again. 

yep i always touch that pin when building pcs

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

Hey guys, I know it's an old topic, but I have one question about it...If I hold the graphics card by the sides of the pcb, there's any trouble doing that? I mean, I see a lot of videos of people holding it by the pcb, touching only the sides (sometimes touching the entire pcb  :o). Let's say, in worst case scenario, if I'm not using electrostatic wristband and have a minor charge, I would still fry of damage the card by holding it by the sides, not touching any component? Thanks!

This is common practice. Very common. In fact, most people that service servers that are required to use esd protection by policy plug into a ground in the wall to save time, be more mobile, and not have it interfere with the use of their hands

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

For starters, don't build that pc on that shaggy carpet. Other than that, you just built a basic ground. 

I just keep the power supply plugged in but turned off at the back, then touch that occasionally.

Yep this the best way to do it... If the power supply is plugged in but turned off then it connected to ground. Also an anti static wrist strap connected to the case will work and you don't have to cut up cables and connect yourself to the mains.

For starters, don't build that pc on that shaggy carpet. Other than that, you just built a basic ground.

Oh no, no shaggy carpet! The floor is made of wood, but the thing is, I was using rubber slippers, guess I touched some metal before taking the graphics card...I was so excited, that completely forgot about this stuff...I'm asking because will take a while to get the other parts to do some testing...

Yep this the best way to do it... If the power supply is plugged in but turned off then it connected to ground. Also an anti static wrist strap connected to the case will work and you don't have to cut up cables and connect yourself to the mains.

Just thought I'd add that as long as the case has metal to metal contact with a power supply connected to the wall, the whole thing is grounded

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

it's almost like this

51RN-Ofuu-L._SL1024_.jpg

:P

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

well i got my own twist it is the best of both worlds..

1. screw psu to case (new build)

2. plug in wall socket to ground case

3. attatch esd braclet and after 15-20 sec you and case shoud be fully grounded

4. pull out wall socket this still keep the zero load on you and case

5. (optional for long build over 1 hour) plug stop working and plug in wall socket for 15-20 sec then pull out to ground again (mostly in dry cold work environments)

following this gives no hassard for electrucution since you are not conected when working on the pc but you still get grounded since you are conected to case when it is grounded so yes this is my way of doing it and well so far i have not found anyone that can tell me a flaw with this way of doing it and it take care of all the safety issues so now you know how to do it ^^

Sorry to interrupt and burst your bubble but I usually just install my PSU into the case, plug it in with the switch off at the back which renders the case grounded. I can then clip to the case instead. Directly to ground through the PSU.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gong to start building tomorrow but....

Do i need a wrist strap, i have wood flooring and one small rug by the doors, so will that build static?

i really dont want to wait 3 days for it to ship.

Put it on the wood flooring and remember to regularly touch metal that is grounded (Put in the PSU first, plug it into the wall but don't turn it on). Wood barely builds static though

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Put it on the wood flooring and remember to regularly touch metal that is grounded (Put in the PSU first, plug it into the wall but don't turn it on). Wood barely builds static though

Yea thats good but metal will still discharge even though it is not grounded.

Yea thats good but metal will still discharge even though it is not grounded.

That's why I recommend putting the PSU in first and plugging it into a properly grounded socket (3-prong). That way static is not an issue

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Overall there should be no worries as long as you touch the case often, especially after going somewhere else, leave the PSU plugged in, grab components by the plastic/edges, and once components are removed and you are putting them into storage, put them in a brown paper lunch bag to make sure no static will get to them. I find wrist straps to be unnecessary as long as you are aware of the hazards.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Build on the wood table, and attach the strap to your arm or ankle and then connect the other end to your case.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

I always use a wrist strap reguardless of the situation. When I am at work though I just touch the case every now and again. If you have a floor mat I would buy a anti-static floor mat to stand on for convenience sake.

When I was way young I was puitting together a PC and I zapped the MOBO... felt a tiny little shock not much at all could barley notice it, turned it on and smelled a little burning and nothing on the MOBO would work peripheral wise.

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”

Because it's fairly relevant, is it really necessary to use an anti static strap? I just touch my case every once in awhile...

Considering that I spend a lot of money on hardware I have been doing it. I thought to myself hmm the chances of my zapping my GPU or CPU or something is probably pretty low, but I could spend just 6 bucks on a wrist ban and prevent any rare circumstances from occurring

Also to the OP I just attach it to a part of my case as it is full metal so I think that is fine.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

I scratch my case to show bate metal * in an area i dont care about. and clip mine there.

When I worked on a computer in school I just clipped it to an area of bare metal.