Newegg vs Amazon: Which do you prefer and why?

Philcat101

Can you tell me where you like to shop, and why? Take pricing out of this, it can vary greatly.

I would like to know where to buy parts for my next rig! It will probably be a mix of both, depending on the prices and what you say here.

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

I like both Newegg and Amazon, but Newegg has had the best deals so far for me, and things from newegg arrive a lot earlier.

3 minutes ago, Philcat101 said:

Can you tell me where you like to shop, and why? Take pricing out of this, it can vary greatly.

I would like to know where to buy parts for my next rig! It will probably be a mix of both, depending on the prices and what you say here.

I don't like that Newegg has restocking fees for returns or RMA's, but Amazon has been acting flakey recently so I cant recommend either.

What about return policy

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

newegg=usually lower prices and cheaper shipping (non-prime)

amazon=usually better return/rma service (they pay shipping sometimes) 

I usually go with newegg, I dont return things often and it seems like Amazon is almost always a few bucks more.  If amazon is cheaper I'll buy there

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Newegg because Amazon started taxing in my state last year though I'll still buy on Amazon if newegg doesn't have it.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

8 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

I use whichever is cheaper for my specific item of course. That's the beauty of competition, I can get the best price for the same item from somewhere elsexD

This, but I just use PCPartPicker so I can use other sites like NCIX and OutletPC too. You'd be surprised how many deals you find through lesser known sellers.

usually amazon if I its similar price because of prime otherwise any of the ones on pcpp

I mainly use amazon but I prefer to go to a store in person for convince reasons (Frys).

amazon cause i buy a lot of stuff which isnt just PC parts

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

well, newegg doesnt exist on this size of the pond afaik, and i suggest you have a look at http://www.amazon.be/ and realise that because of this belgians have to use loopholes in order to buy from amazon.

Amazon.

1. Prime, it's amazing.

2. Competes very well on prices.

3. No tax in my state.

4. Excellent customer support.

5. I have a card that considers Amazon a bookstore so I get an additional 5% off.

I like Newegg but for me, Amazon is just too good.

Amazon, since i'm from the UK. But personally i also like Overclockers.co.uk, despite them being slightly pricier than the likes of Amazon.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

I'm going to quote what I said in this post: 

"

I know for a fact Newegg will help you trouble shoot your new build which I don't believe Amazon will. I have had a great experience with both with general customer service stuff.

I remember when I built my computer a few years ago with all part's from Newegg they called me the next day confirming my order and also the person on the phone said "looks like all your parts are compatible." I know when my old roommate built a computer and he had one part that wasn't compatible . Newegg called him to let him know and clarify the issue. I don't see Amazon doing that.

"

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

Easily Amazon

1) prime - $99 for free unlimited shipping to Hawaii, as of today 27 orders(32 items) no extra charges, 

2) regular free shipping after $49 before i got prime i would just bundle my purchases for free shipping($35 at that time)

3) return policy - 4 returns, 2 exchanges all paid by Amazon

4) free video/music streaming

5) free customer appreciation products and items for product testing and reivews

newegg

1) $50 shipping for a cpu, its about 20 now but about a year ago they were going to charge me $50  and send ups select 5-7 day service

2) restocking fee

3) does not ship to Hawaii through ebay where most of their best deals are

+5 vs -3 easy win

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

NCIX.  Just price match EVERYTHING from every other site on the net.  Best of all worlds. :D

Memory Express

Price BEAT and they and no shipping :D

From the two above Amazon.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Newegg, mostly because I get free student premier.

I "shop" at Newegg.  I buy whichever fits into my current ordering schedule better.

Actually searching for a category of parts is a real pain in the butt on Amazon.  But finding the specific item you want is easy.  So if you know exactly what you're looking for, Amazon is great.  If you're trying to figure that out, Amazon will just produce a massive headache when it comes to computer parts.   I've had good Customer Service experience with both, going back a very long time, so I've had little reason to adjust the way I operate with both of them.  

Newegg is also normally good about having competitive, if not the absolute lowest, prices.  I'll cop to just a few extra bucks if I know the company.  (From experience, I also know the massive headaches that saving 3 bucks can cause.)

2 hours ago, QueenDemetria said:

I don't like that Newegg has restocking fees for returns or RMA's, but Amazon has been acting flakey recently so I cant recommend either.

Never had a restock fee for an RMA. 

I usually use Newegg. Amazon charges tax, which can make a $300 product a $330 product here. And since I don't have Prime, or premier New egg is usually cheaper shipping wise. I've also noticed they ship things out faster.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Amazon because of Prime and amazing customer service. I'll only go with Newegg if it's more than 5% cheaper on any given item. Newegg sucks with RMAs. They make you pay shipping and a restocking fee.

Amazon same day delivery in Orlando order it in the morning at my house before 9 PM.

Depends on the item and the time. I have both Amazon Prime and Newegg Premier so I cross shop and grab the better deal. I ultimately use Amazon more but that's mainly because of all the different stuff I buy. Strictly computer parts, I'd say I order from Newegg more.

I notice folks mentioning tax. In Tennessee, they both charge tax but, sometimes buying through 3rd party sellers, even if the item is actually kept in an Amazon warehouse, I can get stuff without tax and still get Prime shipping. Buying direct can still often be the better deal even with tax though.