Newegg vs Amazon: Which do you prefer and why?

Philcat101

Newegg

+ bigger selection of PC parts/accessories

+ decent promotions

- restocking fees for returns

- slow (and paid) shipping on most things

- never honors their policy (i've failed to get a price match, price reduction, etc. honored despite their "iron egg" guarantee)

Amazon

+ Better sticker price (rarely uses rebate promos and just drops price)

+ Faster shipping (standard) and free 2-day if Prime user

+ Better customer service

+ Better return policy

- smaller selection (a lot of pc stuff is from 3rd party sellers)

So it depends but if we're talking generally, Amazon 110%

13 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I always go newegg since amazon charges sales tax in Texas while newegg doesn't.

Dear gawd....how bad is it (%-wise)???

Newegg always taxed me but, thanks to Christie, Amazon taxes now too on most things.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

I personally prefer Newegg.com over Amazon. Newegg has never failed to ship my orders fast and safely, and I usually get free shipping that can get to me in Michigan in 2-3 days. No complaints!

Amazon, I get stuff in 2 days.

If there's a sale on Newegg, I usually see if it's at Fry's and get it there.

ar gawd....how bad is it (%-wise)???

Newegg always taxed me but, thanks to Christie, Amazon taxes now too on most things.

I think it's whatever your county's sales tax is, here in Dallas it's $.08.2 / $ (last I checked)

I used to be quite active here.

Amazon for sure. 

Arguably the best return policy in eCommerce. 

Also I have free Prime so.....

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

51 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Amazon, I get stuff in 2 days.

If there's a sale on Newegg, I usually see if it's at Fry's and get it there.

I think it's whatever your county's sales tax is, here in Dallas it's $.08.2 / $ (last I checked)

wahhh it's only $.07/$ state tax here >.<

what is I buy a TV or something...that's like $3 more! :( 

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

Whichever is cheaper, but I prefer Amazon because my parents have Prime. Might as well use the service if they pay for it.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

On 4/3/2016 at 11:48 PM, Philcat101 said:

Can you tell me where you like to shop, and why? Take pricing out of this, it can vary greatly.

I would like to know where to buy parts for my next rig! It will probably be a mix of both, depending on the prices and what you say here.

Both. I literally found all the components I wanted. I went to each and found the cheapest price. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I'll go with either one and it really comes down to price. I have Amazon prime so free fast shipping but I gotta pay tax because there's an Amazon site where I live. Newegg takes about 3-4 days but no tax and usually good prices. 

Newegg, because I can drive over and pick it up.

Intel 5820K OC@4.7 / MSI Raider X99 / 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200mhz / x2 EVGA 980Ti Hybrid OC @1468 / Corsair Vengeance C70 (OD Green) / 2x Samsung 840 Evo in Raid 0 / Corsair RM1000x / Corsair H110i GTX  - Firestrike Score – 26156 (so far, lol)

I like to think I prefer Newegg the most, but I tend to buy the most from Amazon. Newegg and Amazon are among the only online stores that don't include a mail-in-rebate in the price, so I hold them both in high regard because of that. Amazon has better customer support and will bend over backwards for you, so I would say Amazon are ultimately the better place to shop online. 

As a side note while I'm thinking about MIR, even though I buy the odd thing from NCIX, I loath them something fierce for adding MIR into the price when I'm trying to skim through product prices. It's bad enough NCIX's interface is hideous.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I don't prefer one over the other. I just go with whoever has the lowest price for whatever I'm buying.

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

I prefer Amazon because they have good customer service so a refund shouldn't be a problem and also i pay for prime so shipping is fast and easy.

Amazon, specifically with Prime.  The past few things from Newegg that I ordered were either damaged (Asus x99 motherboard), or shipping was unbearably slow (order on a thursday w/ 3 day shipping, doesn't ship until that next Monday, don't get it until Thursday a week from when I ordered it).  Amazon has surprised me with delivery times especially on the weekends; ordered the Audio Technica ATH-AG1's that Linus reviewed a while back on a Friday with Prime shipping, showed up Sunday morning of all days when I thought I'd have to wait until Monday after work to play with them.  Also Amazon seems to have more of a selection and better prices on most things I've needed to order especially when you factor in Newegg shipping costs.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

To answer the question, our bias would obviously have us shop at Newegg. Plus the shipping benefit from being so close to a warehouse is nice.

I did notice some people  were having trouble with returns having restocking fees or paying for return shipping. I would like to clear that up. If an item is return for a defect or a Newegg error, we will cover the return shipping and remove the restocking fee. 

If anyone has any issues with their orders or any questions at all, feel free to email us at wecare@newegg.com and we would be happy to help.

Newegg Support,

-David

mainly amazon if i cant get a price match at microcenter or they dont carry it . i do like newegg only for the flash sales got a evga 1000w g2 for 40$ brand new which is a steal

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS