AMOLED displays now cheaper to produce than LCD displays

Techicolors

As predicted two years ago, it has only taken 24 months for AMOLED production costs to fall below that of LCD, according to new data from IHS Technology. Production costs in the first quarter for a 5-inch Full HD smartphone display are $14.30 for an AMOLED panel and $14.60 for an LCD display. In the fourth quarter of 2015, these figures were $17.10 and $15.70, respectively.

With AMOLED production costs dropping below LCD for the first time, AMOLED panels will soon become the default display technology choice for manufacturers on their mid-range and entry-level devices as well. While this may not directly signal the end for LCD screens in the smartphone space, we are definitely going to be seeing a lot more AMOLED screens in the near future.

http://www.androidauthority.com/amoled-displays-now-cheaper-than-lcd-682080/

hopefully apple will be able to use amoled displays on their future iPhones. and claim they invented it... 

edit: also another bit to note is that the galaxy s7 and s7 edge both use Super AMOLED which cost about $55 to produce

what is the difference between AMOLED, LCD, and OLED(or is OLED the same as AMOLED)?

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

1 minute ago, themaniac said:

what is the difference between AMOLED, LCD, and OLED(or is OLED the same as AMOLED)?

OLED is more favorable in TVs, whereas AMOLED is more favorable in laptops, phones, or anything that is smaller than the usual TV. but both produce infinite contrast and very vivid colors, since the blacks are so deep (backlight is turned off) 

4 minutes ago, themaniac said:

OLED and AMOLED are pretty much the same (I think). The difference between LCD and AM/OLED is AMOLED can individually light pixels meaning that blacks are literally black and there is no backlight.

6 minutes ago, themaniac said:

Taskbar burn-in

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

On 3/24/2016 at 3:46 PM, themaniac said:

On 3/24/2016 at 3:51 PM, Technicolors said:

OLED is more favorable in TVs, whereas AMOLED is more favorable in laptops, phones, or anything that is smaller than the usual TV. but both produce infinite contrast and very vivid colors, since the blacks are so deep (backlight is turned off) 

That's not correct.

OLED is a broad type of lighting technology, you could use it to make a household light bulb if you wanted to. AMOLED is a subset of OLED technology, it is the type of OLED configuration used for display panels. All OLED displays are AMOLED, thus "AMOLED" is a redundant and useless term in the context of computers and similar electronics, if a phone or TV has an OLED screen then you already know it's AMOLED, there's no other type of OLED it could possibly be, so there's really no purpose in specifically saying "AMOLED". Just say OLED.

It's the exact same story as people saying "Active-Matrix TFT-LCD". It's not incorrect, but the reason no one bothers saying that whole thing any more is that people started to notice that ALL monitors with LCD panels are Active-Matrix TFT-LCD, no other type of LCD is suitable for these types of display panels. So there's no need to specify, it's just useless technical-sounding stuff no one cares about. If you're talking about computer/phone/TV screens, you can just say "LCD" and the rest is implied.

The only reason anyone says "AMOLED" when talking about phones and TVs is because that's what Samsung calls it, and people don't know what it means. When you say "AMOLED" you sound like someone talking about a "noiseless SSD". It's not incorrect, but... yeah. Just call it OLED.

9 minutes ago, themaniac said:

LCDs use liquid crystals (Liquid Crystal Display) to change the colour of pixels and a backlight. OLED screens have LEDs for each individual pixel and therefore need no backlight and can produce perfect blacks. AMOLED is a variant of OLED that is better for production and longevity.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

19 minutes ago, themaniac said:

AMOLED stands for Active Matrix OLED. It's mostly used for applications which require high refresh rates, like a smartphone or a TV, hence the "active" part of the nomenclature. This is in contrast to PMOLED , Passive Matrix OLED , which acts kind of like an e-ink display. Anyway , AMOLED displays have a TFT (thin-film transistor) back-plane to drive each of the individual pixels.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

18 minutes ago, Nineshadow said:

AMOLED stands for Active Matrix OLED. It's mostly used for applications which require high refresh rates, like a smartphone or a TV, hence the "active" part of the nomenclature. This is in contrast to PMOLED , Passive Matrix OLED , which acts kind of like an e-ink display. Anyway , AMOLED displays have a TFT (thin-film transistor) back-plane to drive each of the individual pixels.

Both passive and active matrix OLED displays have a TFT matrix controlling them, hence why they both have "matrix" in the name. The difference is that an active-matrix display has a capacitor for each subpixel which maintains the brightness state between refresh cycles.

The display controller does not refresh every pixel on the screen simultaneously, it refreshes pixels row-by-row, so in order to stay lit when the display controller moves on to the next row, capacitors are required for each subpixel. In a passive matrix display, only one row is lit at a time, the previous row of pixels fades to black instantly, and you would get flickering similar to a CRT at a low refresh rate. In OLED displays Active Matrix is basically necessary, because if the rows fade immediately instead of staying lit, then to keep the overall screen brightness at a given level, you need to apply much higher voltage to the OLED (since it will only be lit for a short burst instead of lit continuously, you need it to be much brighter), and high voltage will degrade the OLEDs much more quickly, resulting in greatly reduced longevity which is already a problem even with AM OLEDs.

Not really a surprise. LG said the same thing; a year ago a full HD LG OLED TV had a yield above 80%, where an OLED panel would be completely competitive with LCD once it reaches 95%. Today that yield should be very close or above 95%. Of course UHD is a different story. However LG is investing into inkjet based OLED production, which we heard about ages ago.

http://english.etnews.com/20150611200002

Anyways Samsung needs to get into the TV and monitor business with OLED. And LG needs to get into the monitor business too (I guess they are by proxy through Dell's OLED monitor). But yeah, voltage on small OLED pixels on UHD TV's and high ppi (compared to TV's) makes yields low.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

6 hours ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

OLED and AMOLED are pretty much the same (I think). The difference between LCD and AM/OLED is AMOLED can individually light pixels meaning that blacks are literally black and there is no backlight.

And AMOLED, OLED is 1000 times faster then LCD. and uses less power, and is much more thin (it does not need backlight as you mentioned) 

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

6 hours ago, Glenwing said:

-Informational Snippet of Glenwing Wisdom-

So, I forget, AMOLED is pretty much when it comes to display technology--it's a sub 1ms response time, right?  Like incredibly low latency and in the marketting of G2G, it's microseconds fast if I remember an article correctly.  I might be wrong, though.

So does this finally mean that we wouldn't have to worry about the AMOLED screen replacement costing as much as the phone? 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

7 hours ago, themaniac said:

Amoled actually turns off pixels.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

7 hours ago, Technicolors said:

hopefully apple will be able to use amoled displays on their future iPhones. and claim they invented it... 

Please just stop acting like a fanboy and get to know your facts. They already use this in the AW and i don't even recall them ever mentioning it

Main problem with OLEDs is that they won't last as long as an LCD panel. But I don't really care since they have such crazy contrast and when reasonably priced displays (cheaper) come out for desktop use I'll get two. 

8 hours ago, themaniac said:

OLED the black pixel is just grayed-out. AMOLED they can turn off pixel by pixel as what I'ved read.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

13 minutes ago, Lethal Seraph said:

OLED the black pixel is just grayed-out. AMOLED they can turn off pixel by pixel as what I'ved read.

8 hours ago, Glenwing said:

That's not correct.

OLED is a broad type of lighting technology, you could use it to make a household light bulb if you wanted to. AMOLED is the type of OLED configuration used for display panels. All OLED displays are AMOLED, thus "AMOLED" is a redundant and useless term, if a phone or TV has an OLED screen, there's no other type of OLED it could possibly be except AMOLED.

It's the exact same story as people saying "Active-Matrix TFT-LCD". It's not incorrect, but the reason no one bothers saying that whole thing any more is that ALL monitors with LCD screens are Active-Matrix TFT-LCD, there's no need to specify, it's just useless technical-sounding stuff no one cares about. You can just say "LCD" and the rest is implied, if you're talking about computer/phone/TV screens.

The only reason anyone says "AMOLED" when talking about phones and TVs is because that's what Samsung calls it, and people don't know what it means.

(EDIT: I quoted the wrong post of myself :P)

Are AMOLEDs even really ready? According to Displaymate's testing, the S7 only acheives 405nits at 100% APL in the basic mode (which Apple would use for accurate colors). In Adaptive mode or with auto brightness turned on (unreal, inaccurate colors) it can go all the way up to 855 nits. The 6 (I can't seem to find their 6s review but both phones uses the same panel iirc) goes up to 558nits at 100% APL. Although max brightness isn't the be all end all for outdoor visibility, it's half the equation and enough to influence your actual experience. If you do not want inaccurate colors outdoors, AMOLED simply isn't ready. 

9 hours ago, themaniac said:

They are both OLED, but Samsung names them AMOLED, and LG names them OLED
kinda like with IPS. Samsung=PLS, LG=IPS

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.