Google is discontinuing the Chrome App Launcher.

AlTech

chrome.PNG.6d954cedd4ec4f478bbb16cd906b4

Google is discontinuing the Chrome app launcher in an effort to speed up chrome and simplify the user experience.

Google could not be reached for comment.

This is what The Verge had to say:

The Chrome app launcher is an icon that can sits in a computer's taskbar or dock and allows for quick access to Chrome apps — it was meant, in part, to help blur the lines between desktop and web apps. But Google says that it's found people "prefer to launch their apps from within Chrome," so it's decided to do away with it. (An app launcher will remain, however, in Chrome OS, where it's a pretty core part of the interface.)

The launcher will be gone in July

The app launcher will begin disappearing from Chrome "over the next several months." In a few weeks, Google will stop including it as part of Chrome. Then in July, it'll be removed for people who already have it.

The feature's removal comes as Google continues to hunt for ways to simplify and speed up Chrome, following continued criticism of its growing sluggishness and heavy power use. Late last year, Google removed Chrome's desktop notification center icon for the very same reason — because no one was using it — saying at the time that the change was meant to simplify the experience for users.

Gee, Thanks Google. Still doesn't explain why Chrome needs so much RAM or why  you guys spy on us so much.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/22/11287450/chrome-app-launcher-being-removed-google

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

When I first added this to my taskbar i was like "wow awesome this is great"

and then completely forgot it existed

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Never use this ever ... so don't really mind. 

Magical Pineapples

I installed Chrome app launcher in Windows 7 using it to get to a few of the apps that were always hard to find e.g. google wallet.

After the WX upgrade did not miss it so can safely say that I will not really notice the Chrome app launcher's departure!

However I sought of use the show apps button in Chrome as a bookmark folder for Google Play and Play Movies, so guess I will need to create my own folder.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

Heavy power-user of Android & Chrome; won't miss it. Apps are a shoddy implementation anyway. What I do miss, though, is the notification center...

I don't get it, what is chrome app launcher ??? I only have Google chrome installed on my PC.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

26 minutes ago, Thony said:

I don't get it, what is chrome app launcher ??? I only have Google chrome installed on my PC.

You can install a launcher and it works like a start menu for chrome apps

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 hour ago, ShadowCaptain said:

When I first added this to my taskbar i was like "wow awesome this is great"

and then completely forgot it existed

Summarises the 10% who noticed it was there, the other 90% never even knew it existed! 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I'm one of the people that prefers launching apps from within Chrome.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Gee, Thanks Google. Still doesn't explain why Chrome needs so much RAM or why  you guys spy on us so much.

To be fair Chrome is not using so much RAM anymore from my experience. For instance IE uses 250 MB with 3 tabs and Chrome uses 100 MB with 11 tabs while I'm at work. It's all different apps in all tabs. 

Anyhow, what does an app launcher have to do with Chrome RAM usage and Google spying on you? :|

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

from the local MS fanboy who defends MS's privacygate that's ironic to say the least

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

23 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

To be fair Chrome is not using so much RAM anymore from my experience. For instance IE uses 250 MB with 3 tabs and Chrome uses 100 MB with 11 tabs while I'm at work. It's all different apps in all tabs. 

Anyhow, what does an app launcher have to do with Chrome RAM usage and Google spying on you? :|

Removing it lowers RAM usage and storage space required

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, TrigrH said:

CAN I HAVE A CLEAN NEW TAB PAGE NOW?

no, never. i don't want a clean new tab page. that's like asking for a new car, with no features, just a steering wheel and all the essentials.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I've had that appear on my Chrome browser, but disabled it immediately, as I did not want it to clutter my bookmarks tab. When I had the time to play around with it, it did not seem to be all that useful; just a redirection to [chrome://apps].

Honestly, good riddance.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

12 hours ago, terrytek said:

no, never. i don't want a clean new tab page. that's like asking for a new car, with no features, just a steering wheel and all the essentials.

I have just realised that in Firefox I use the Google search [https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl] as my new tab page. Making me re-read the article to see if I could clarify what exactly Google are discontinuing...

Is just the Chrome app launcher in the Toolbar (no image sorry)?

Are they discontinuing the Chrome app launcher Toolbar app and the Chrome app launcher Tab which is part of the bookmarks area?

56f349155ca55_ChromeApps.jpg.c3527a9cf7a

Or are they discontinuing the Chrome app launcher Toolbar app and the Chrome app launcher Tab and the support for the Chrome app launcher inside the Google search page show here as part of my Firefox browsing as well?

56f349b2e8adc_GoogleTranslate.jpg.1382a0

Which you can see that the last one was used to translate  mijn moederbord ondersteunt wel DDR4 MSI z170a PC Mate from a post from here on the forums and I find very useful...

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

3 minutes ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

I have just realised that in Firefox I use the Google search [https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl] as my new tab page. Making me re-read the article to see try to clarify what exactly Google are discontinuing...

Is just the Chrome app launcher in the Toolbar (no image sorry)?

Are they discontinuing the Chrome app launcher Toolbar app and the Chrome app launcher Tab which is part of the bookmarks area?

56f349155ca55_ChromeApps.jpg.c3527a9cf7a

Or are they discontinuing the Chrome app launcher Toolbar app and the Chrome app launcher Tab and the support for the Chrome app launcher inside Firefox too?

56f349b2e8adc_GoogleTranslate.jpg.1382a0

Which you can see that the last one was used to translate  mijn moederbord ondersteunt wel DDR4 MSI z170a PC Mate from a post from here on the forums and I find very useful...

They're removing the app launcher in the taskbar of Windows or Launcher of Mac. It's a desktop program. it's independent of chrome and is used to launch chrome apps.

19 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

They're removing the app launcher in the taskbar of Windows or Launcher of Mac. It's a desktop program. it's independent of chrome and is used to launch chrome apps.

Just the first one then, that as I mentioned before that did not migrate across into Windows Ten (PC user here).

The comments on the Chromium Blog give a better idea of the process than the Verge article did.

But still there is a great deal of discussion that the app is going. What exactly is the app that is going, I think maybe people are confusing their concept about what is this app...?

oh yea I forgot I have that lol... I see why

I don't want this feature to be removed. I just want it to show up on a new PC straight away rather than having to find a special way to activate it. Fix it rather than fixing it.

Seems like some people are confused about what exactly is going away. The thing that is going away is the app launcher. It was a program that brought up a little menu in your OS (not inside your browser). Here is what it looks like:

chrome-app-launcher-2.png

They are not removing the launcher from inside the browser. They are not removing the "apps" button in the bookmark field. They are not removing the little squares on the Google website. They are removing that Windows (and OS X) program that was basically just a menu to start Chrome apps directly from your OS, instead of starting your browser first.

I have 2 apps that i actually use, Readium for books and Postman for development purpose, i like the idea of having apps like that and i starts them from windows like 100% of the time (instead of chrome) but i have never use the app launcher to launch them, it never really "exist" to me even though i know it exists.

i use it for remote desktop every day, i take it i can still use the programme without the launcher?

14 minutes ago, LordLeewee said:

i use it for remote desktop every day, i take it i can still use the programme without the launcher?

You still can do that from chrome://apps/ or the apps icon at the bookmarks bar. After all it was only a desktop shortcut.