Do you think my man Linus is a bit too harsh on consoles?

threadysparrow

I know PCs are better in many ways. Better graphics, open ended modding, smoother gameplay. But consoles are not THAT bad. I am not accusing Linus and Slick of saying consoles are bad, but whenever they talk about them, it seems that they are a bit more focused on the negative than the positive.

I honestly think that if it were not for consoles, then the video game crash would have been worse. The NES pulled video games up from the ashes.

Also, console makers have brought together some really great talent to make some really great exclusives. I always talk about Naughty Dog but if you think I am too focused on them then please go play The Last of Us or Uncharted. 343 Studios looks to have great potential with the new story arc for Halo. I get it, if you have a multiplatform game, then PC is the way to go. But I think Naughty Dog's games or 343 Studios' games are alone worth buying a console for. What do you guys think?

Again, I am not trying to put words into Linus's mouth or accuse him of being a PC fanboy, but it just seems like he might be acting a bit unfairly towards the potential of the new generation of consoles coming out in 2 months.

I honestly do not think consoles are trying to compete with PC. Jack Tretton of Sony said himself that the PS4 is an original console with its own expectations and potential. He doesn't want people to say "well it looks better on console A than console B."

And we all owe Linus a thanks anyways for taking a chance with Linus Media and giving us a great forum to come to. I have to end it with a compliment otherwise Linus might look at this thread and start rage typing.

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

ok well great dialogue, I am glad we are being open minded about this.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

I like to point out that during the video game crash of 1983, the PC gaming market was never affected at all.

If anything, it rose massively during those years.

Not to mention many of the advantages for owning a console have over time, faded away. (The only exception is ease of use and even then that's going away)

When websites like IGN are making articles saying what's the point of a console anymore, something is happening alright.

Linus, is not "Your man" He is OUR Man.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Consoles are for people that won't take a few hours out of their life to learn a bit about hardware so they can put a PC together, once you acquire that knowledge, there are no reasons to go with a console over a PC. A PC can do everything a console can do at the same price point and more.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

To be fair consoles are great for people on a budget and play casually.

Have you ever played FIFA, NHL, or any sports game around a computer? It's dumb and insane. I feel PC gaming is more serious while console gaming is more laid back. It's hard to play with M+KB in a recliner.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Hes being realistic.

Consoles will be holding PC's back again, in a year or two, more than they already are even with the new consoles.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Consoles are for people that won't take a few hours out of their life to learn a bit about hardware so they can put a PC together, once you acquire that knowledge, there are no reasons to go with a console over a PC. A PC can do everything a console can do at the same price point and more.

I would definitely disagree, you're being a bit too Nazi. Consoles have their own niche and there are reasons too choose a console over PC. PC overlaps in gaming with consoles and is superior, but a console might be better for someone who wants to play with people over, or for a kid with siblings. Console is also easier to integrate into a living room since they're practically plug and play. Much simpler to operate and troubleshooting is pretty much nonexistent. Some people don't really care about graphics and only want to play the game, or already have a PC and are satisfied with it and have no need for redundancy when all they want to do is play a video game. They're just that much easier to use.

You're going fully against a consistent societal trend. If someone wants to game with most of their friends from school or Uni, they buy an Xbox or a PS3 because the majority of people still don't use PC for entertainment and instead use it for work or social networking.

Saying that they can do the same at the same price-point is just flat wrong. The hardware for a console is also heavily subsidized, you can't say you can build a PC equivalent of a console because the hardware is purchased by bulk, deals and arrangement, and sometimes sold at 0 or below profit margin.

Please consider that, while we might understand how simple and beneficial it is to put together a PC and how to deal with the problems associated with it, most people do not. In that way the information that people on this and many other forums posses is somewhat esoteric and with that knowledge it becomes harder to understand why someone wouldn't act on what you know, but what they know. It's like expecting an ape to be able to put together a set of legos to receive 10 bananas, or they could just push a button and receive 3. It seems idiotic  to you because you know how to play with legos, but  the ape prefers pushing the button because it's still satisfied and doesn't know a thing about legos.

You really shouldn't look down on people that don't know as much.

Error: 410

Linus, is not "Your man" He is OUR Man.

He told me that he was my man... wait... this is going to a weird place...

Have you ever played FIFA, NHL, or any sports game around a computer? It's dumb and insane. I feel PC gaming is more serious while console gaming is more laid back. It's hard to play with M+KB in a recliner.

Try plugging in A wired Xbox controler in the USB port.

I personally think he is harsh on them, but I believe it is deserved, because he is right.

The main reason PC gamers are harsh on Consoles is because we know they hold our games back, graphically, and in the long term, they are more costly for less features. Generally inferior for what we, PC gamers, want to do. Hardcore gaming. 

People go too far with that sometimes, just as any fanboy does (not that Linus has, just talking generally). 

A PC can do everything a console can do at the same price point and more.

I disagree. Consoles always have better short-term price-performance ratios. Good example: You cannot make a $400 PC that has the graphical capabilities of a PS4, including peripherals and an OS, because the PS4 comes with that (one controller, the PS4's OS). 

You can do that in 2-5 years, but then the PS4's price has been cut and you have to re-evaluate and in that time, you will not be able to do it with $300 when that is the PS4's price. 

I agree with the rest of your comment that I did not quote.

Agreed. 

Part of the reason they are good for budget minded people, even though PC's cost less in the long term, is because they cost less in the short term. No one wants to save up. They want what they want, now. Not save up for 2 months to year, then get it.

Try plugging in a wired Xbox controler in the USB port.

This^.  

Hes being realistic.

Consoles will be holding PC's back again, in a year or two, more than they already are even with the new consoles.

Agreed.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Try plugging in a wired Xbox controler in the USB port.

This doesn't solve the problem. An Xbox 360 + a sports game + a second controller is cheaper than a PC + the game + two controllers wirelessly + wireless adapter (lets face it, barely anyone likes wired controllers for consoles)

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

hell no. he needs to say console sucks more often. with cursewords and everything

As i said on the other topic:

Pc games are kinda chained to consoles atm, most of the games need to have in mind to be able to run on PC. So to break this chain basicly consoles would need to disappear or something, and that will not happen any time soon. For one great reason that people forget, PC AREN'T optimized for living room entertainment. Its so freaking unpractical to use a mouse and a keyboard on a sofa, you need to have an optimized OS that can be controlled with a gamepad NATIVELY, The PC games are mainly to be played with a mouse and keyboard. The OS is meant to be navigated with a mouse. My opinion,as I said, before, is that the future of the consoles will stop being about the hardware but about the OS itself. Designed to be installed on a recommended hardware and all the games are designed to be played NATIVELY with a gamepad.

Intel Core i5 760 @ 3.8Ghz ◆ ASUS P7P55D--E ◆ Corsair XMS3 8Gb ◆ nVidia GeForce GTX 470 ◆ 1Tb WD BLACK HDD ◆ 250Gb Seagate HDD ◆ OCZ SS2 600W ◆ WD 500Gb MyBook ◆ Corsair Vengeance 1500

new setup coming soon

MacBook Pro 2011 ◆ Intel Core i7 @ 2.2GHz ◆ Corsair 8Gb ◆ Samsung 840 120GB SSD ◆ 750Gb HDD ◆ AMD Radeon HD 6750M

Console exclusives are the main benefit, with ease of use being another huge one.

The cold hard truth is that not every gamer is some tech-savvy LTT forum member who is willing to try 4 different voice chat clients to find the one that doesn't sound like butt or give his IP to everyone in his/her contact list.

Consoles fill that void.

I just have no use for them, that's all.

36arh8.jpg

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

Console exclusives are the main benefit, with ease of use being another huge one.

The cold hard truth is that not every gamer is some tech-savvy LTT forum member who is willing to try 4 different voice chat clients to find the one that doesn't sound like butt or give his IP to everyone in his/her contact list.

Consoles fill that void.

the truth has spoken

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

Consoles fill that void.

Called it.^

They are for the sheeple (people who do not have the time or desire to learn everything we know and so follow their brands blindly) to gorge themselves on.

... That came out very derogatory. You know what I mean.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

not at all, the only thing console has to hold on to is ease of use and exclusives, they have 0 potential, the only thing that has potential is their studios that could be doing multiplats instead of exclusives

So you don't like to play on your living room? or you some how manage to work with a keyboard and a mouse on your sofa?!?! Because gaming in a living room will not go away.

Intel Core i5 760 @ 3.8Ghz ◆ ASUS P7P55D--E ◆ Corsair XMS3 8Gb ◆ nVidia GeForce GTX 470 ◆ 1Tb WD BLACK HDD ◆ 250Gb Seagate HDD ◆ OCZ SS2 600W ◆ WD 500Gb MyBook ◆ Corsair Vengeance 1500

new setup coming soon

MacBook Pro 2011 ◆ Intel Core i7 @ 2.2GHz ◆ Corsair 8Gb ◆ Samsung 840 120GB SSD ◆ 750Gb HDD ◆ AMD Radeon HD 6750M

no.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

I disagree. Consoles always have better short-term price-performance ratios. Good example: You cannot make a $400 PC that has the graphical capabilities of a PS4, including peripherals and an OS, because the PS4 comes with that (one controller, the PS4's OS). 

Don't forget that people will normally want to have a cheap computer for general well computing along with the console so for the price of both you can easily just do the one gaming pc

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6