Do you think my man Linus is a bit too harsh on consoles?

threadysparrow

Its true. The tegra3 in the xbox 360 is 2.437 times as powerful in raw computing speed than the i7 4xxx cpus

Wait what? Xbox 360 has a tegra 3? Since when?

I was going to say a few weeks ago that Linus was too harsh on consoles then found out they will be playing LAUNCH titles at 720p and then decided that Linus isn't being harsh enough.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

In general I would say that consoles are given too much negative connotation on the PC gaming world.  Like the comparison of launch title games is completely silly in my opinion.  Launch title games for consoles will never look good compared to their PC equivalents...the simple fact is almost all launch titles are developed on high end PC's using an emulator for the PS4 and XBox one.  The trouble with emulation is you can never do proper optimizations on it...and my guess would be after about 6 months you will see games that can compete against PC games (albeit they will only compete graphically for about 6 months).

I think the more important thing to take out of the consoles in general is it sets a new low point for PC gamers.  By this I mean developers target a wide audience in order to capitalize on the incoming money flow, and from what I have seen many people blame the consoles for holding this back.  If you look at the steam hardware though targeting for current generation consoles might also be so they could be run on the general mass of people with horrible PC gaming rigs.  Seriously look here (http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey) and you will see most people don't have systems that even match PS3 graphics.  With developers targeting PS4/XBox one, there will be a push to set a new low point (which after console optimizations could reach a midpoint gaming rig).  The fact is with PS4/One you will now have developers pushing multithreaded support, as well as GPU acceleration.  To me the GPU physics acceleration is a huge point, as it seems on the PC end there are too many fragmentations to create games with those optimizations (opengl vs cuda / physx).

So admittedly there will be a point when consoles hold back PC's, the consoles can also help push new technologies (again I feel this console war might solidify a PC standard for GPU physics acceleration).

*on a more personal note, I personally enjoy console gaming over PC...I don't game a lot, but when I do I just have to sit down infront of my TV turn it on and my game is already loaded very quickly...the convenience of a quick bootup is not to be overlooked...I have a media PC and a PS3, my PS3 is used for blu-rays and games more than the media PC just because of the time it takes. (And yes I enjoy blu-ray over digital downloads)

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

never. it has an IBM xenon 3-core @ 3.2. 512mb of shared ram for graphics and system. the GPU is an old ATI, clocked at 500mhz.

PS3 specs are similar.

Troll_Face.png

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

Honestly, Linus isn't too hard on them. A next generation console that can't play a current generation game in 1080p isn't worth being stuck with for the next 10 years. Maybe it's just the games were not fine tuned enough to do the higher resolutions, I'll never know. The only upside that I can see from a console is ease of use and portability...and Netflix. But why spend $300 on a machine just to watch movies when blu-ray players have that function too?

Live Long and GAME ON!!!

Consoles are for

• lazy people
  • poor people
  • ignorant people

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Since NHL 09, there hasn't been a Windows port.

I didn't say that I played every new version of those games now did I? :) hehe

<p>

Consoles are for

• lazy people
  • poor people
  • ignorant people

Says the kid who's 12 years old, so apparently I'm poor, ignorant, and lazy because I play on console, but yet I once my PC is finished it's going to cost over 2,000 USD, I see a flaw in your thought process. People buy a console because they want to play with friends and they don't care about how the games look ( unless you're a graphics junkie ) and maximum FPS, basically anything that a lot of PC Gamers all need. Also, maybe they already have PC and it's meant for things besides gaming and that's why they buy a console.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

I stopped playing PC games other than tower defence and cim city over a decade ago. The cheaters that would hack into a game and basically be invisible in unreal tournament or delta force 2 ruined it for me. I'm basically just not willing to give it a go anymore purely to have higher resolutions i can't play at due to my monitor only being 1080p

In general I would say that consoles are given too much negative connotation on the PC gaming world.  Like the comparison of launch title games is completely silly in my opinion.  Launch title games for consoles will never look good compared to their PC equivalents...the simple fact is almost all launch titles are developed on high end PC's using an emulator for the PS4 and XBox one.  The trouble with emulation is you can never do proper optimizations on it...and my guess would be after about 6 months you will see games that can compete against PC games (albeit they will only compete graphically for about 6 months).

I think the more important thing to take out of the consoles in general is it sets a new low point for PC gamers.  By this I mean developers target a wide audience in order to capitalize on the incoming money flow, and from what I have seen many people blame the consoles for holding this back.  If you look at the steam hardware though targeting for current generation consoles might also be so they could be run on the general mass of people with horrible PC gaming rigs.  Seriously look here (http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey) and you will see most people don't have systems that even match PS3 graphics.  With developers targeting PS4/XBox one, there will be a push to set a new low point (which after console optimizations could reach a midpoint gaming rig).  The fact is with PS4/One you will now have developers pushing multithreaded support, as well as GPU acceleration.  To me the GPU physics acceleration is a huge point, as it seems on the PC end there are too many fragmentations to create games with those optimizations (opengl vs cuda / physx).

So admittedly there will be a point when consoles hold back PC's, the consoles can also help push new technologies (again I feel this console war might solidify a PC standard for GPU physics acceleration).

*on a more personal note, I personally enjoy console gaming over PC...I don't game a lot, but when I do I just have to sit down infront of my TV turn it on and my game is already loaded very quickly...the convenience of a quick bootup is not to be overlooked...I have a media PC and a PS3, my PS3 is used for blu-rays and games more than the media PC just because of the time it takes. (And yes I enjoy blu-ray over digital downlo

This is how i feel as well but couldn't put it to word as well organised. I wouldn't game as much as i do if i had to sit at the pc.

Consoles are okay but the idea of exclusive titles needs to die in a fiery hole immediately. Does the last of us look cool? yeah. Do I want to play it? You bet your sweet ass I do. Will you pay a couple hundred dollars to buy the console it's on and the game? Go fuck yourself.  

No, but if you combined Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Little Big Planet, God of War, Resistance, Metal Gear Solid, and Infamous then it is well worth it.

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

No, but if you combined Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Little Big Planet, God of War, Resistance, Metal Gear Solid, and Infamous then it is well worth it.

And Kingdom Hearts III as well as Disgaea D2. 

*sigh* The PC has sooo few good JRPG's. If any at all. :( Yes, I would spend $400 to play all of those games. Totally worth it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Yeah but i'd still rather they be available on all platforms it'd just makes things easier and less expensive, you can chose the platform you prefer, the one that has the best software and support implementations. And not be punished for making a choice by not being able to play half of the games you want to : /

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

Yeah but i'd still rather they be available on all platforms it'd just makes things easier and less expensive, you can chose the platform you prefer, the one that has the best software and support implementations. And not be punished for making a choice by not being able to play half of the games you want to : /

Yes, but then the games would be limited by the weakest platform. I.e. consoles or more specifically, the Xbox 360 (and next generation, the Xbox One). 

Unless they would just do for them what they do for PCs. Give the console guys sliders to control their graphics like we have and let them decide their FPS, Resolution, and graphical settings.

Obviously setting everything to high will make their FPS like 2 or something, but that is what we PC guys do. I do not see why they cannot have it now that Consoles are going to be more like PCs.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Consoles are for people that won't take a few hours out of their life to learn a bit about hardware so they can put a PC together, once you acquire that knowledge, there are no reasons to go with a console over a PC. A PC can do everything a console can do at the same price point and more.

I literally learnt everything about building a PC, except for maybe how to set up RAID 5 and 6, soundcards, and some more heavy duty water cooling stuff, in a month because I was dead set on building one. Then it turned out no one wanted to hire me so I said 'meh, games are games are games, and I don't have the money'. It is not even remotely the same price point.

Consoles are for people that won't take a few hours out of their life to learn a bit about hardware so they can put a PC together, once you acquire that knowledge, there are no reasons to go with a console over a PC. A PC can do everything a console can do at the same price point and more.

Except play console exclusives, many of which end up being some of the greatest games of all time. And that's all anyone that ACTUALLY appreciates video games cares about. Not having it as a bragging right, but as a fun experience. You can get back to me when The Last of Us comes out for PC. I'm sure there will be an emulator for it somewhere around the 2021 year mark.

I just want to point out that you can get $400's worth of hardware that outperforms the PS4. Now just use linux until you get windows for dirt cheap off of Ebay. Not saying that consoles don't have their place, just that they only have one (being ease of use). 

$377 for a full PC + KB/M (wireless and probably not going to last very long, but neither did my PS3 controller Q_Q)

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Razorasadsid/saved/2jdq

(Also the processor is literally just my processor with the hyperthreading turned off. Flash the MoBo and you're good to go with BF3 on ultra (no MSAA) 1080p 60+ FPS (generally))

believe me a 400$ pc will not be as good as a console for the same lifespan as a console,,, I love pc gaming, hardware and software, I can build my own pc if I could but then a PC that plays all games from the couch for 6-7 years is not cheap!!

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

The next generation of consoles are basically low end PCs. They have never been closer to PC in terms of programming. It's pretty straight forward, and there is no learning curve for the developers. Now that modern PC games even have controller compatibility and the Steam Box is coming up, the only advantage for consoles I can see is exclusive games and features like the Wii U touch pad. Also, the prices for consoles are generally lower than PC.

tumblr_mff1txlfPu1rs7k3ko1_500.jpg

Only benefit are exclusives. They shouldn't even exist due to how they are holding back the PC from evolving at a greater pace.

that is not necessarily a good thing my frrriend ^^

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

if there were no consoles there wouldnt be stupid exclusives they would all be on the one platform pc! god i wish socom would come to xbox lol

Console exclusives are the main benefit, with ease of use being another huge one.

The cold hard truth is that not every gamer is some tech-savvy LTT forum member who is willing to try 4 different voice chat clients to find the one that doesn't sound like butt or give his IP to everyone in his/her contact list.

Consoles fill that void.

I just have no use for them, that's all.

I know PCs are better in many ways. Better graphics, open ended modding, smoother gameplay. But consoles are not THAT bad. I am not accusing Linus and Slick of saying consoles are bad, but whenever they talk about them, it seems that they are a bit more focused on the negative than the positive.

I honestly think that if it were not for consoles, then the video game crash would have been worse. The NES pulled video games up from the ashes.

Also, console makers have brought together some really great talent to make some really great exclusives. I always talk about Naughty Dog but if you think I am too focused on them then please go play The Last of Us or Uncharted. 343 Studios looks to have great potential with the new story arc for Halo. I get it, if you have a multiplatform game, then PC is the way to go. But I think Naughty Dog's games or 343 Studios' games are alone worth buying a console for. What do you guys think?

Again, I am not trying to put words into Linus's mouth or accuse him of being a PC fanboy, but it just seems like he might be acting a bit unfairly towards the potential of the new generation of consoles coming out in 2 months.

I honestly do not think consoles are trying to compete with PC. Jack Tretton of Sony said himself that the PS4 is an original console with its own expectations and potential. He doesn't want people to say "well it looks better on console A than console B."

And we all owe Linus a thanks anyways for taking a chance with Linus Media and giving us a great forum to come to. I have to end it with a compliment otherwise Linus might look at this thread and start rage typing.

I tend to wonder how far pc gaming would be in both terms of optimization and quality of support if consoles weren't around. The reason I hate consoles is because they broke pc gaming down to what it is today. If people really find something like steam hard to learn then they shouldn't even touch tech.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110