Do you think my man Linus is a bit too harsh on consoles?

threadysparrow

The next generation of consoles are basically low end PCs. They have never been closer to PC in terms of programming. It's pretty straight forward, and there is no learning curve for the developers. Now that modern PC games even have controller compatibility and the Steam Box is coming up, the only advantage for consoles I can see is exclusive games and features like the Wii U touch pad. Also, the prices for consoles are generally lower than PC.

the price for the console itself is low, I agree. but show me platinum games that sell for 2-5 $ as is the case with pc classics. PC games themselves are generally cheaper and make up for the cost of the components quite fast (if you wanted a pc as a console replacement you'd pay the price of 2 games extra for much better performance vs the console.) 

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

I don't think too harsh as most of what he says is kinda true.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Linus isn't too harsh at all. He states the facts and he acknowledges that consoles have a place in the gaming world. Just because he doesn't have a place for it in his personal life doesn't mean it doesn't fit in someone else's. He even said in one of the streams a whole ago that if you want one of the consoles go ahead and get it but if you don't just don't get it. There's nothing forcing you to buy a console thus you shouldn't deny someone's right to buy one for their own entertainment.

So you don't like to play on your living room? or you some how manage to work with a keyboard and a mouse on your sofa?!?! Because gaming in a living room will not go away.

There is a thing called Big Picture mode on Steam...and it has full support for a controller. And yes, I've tested Big Picture mode.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Well, it may be harsh but his arguments are backed up with valid reasons so they're balanced in my book.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

Other than better gfx how is pc gaming better than console?

I see a benifit to consoles being that you don't need to upgrade them to play the latest games.

To upgrade my pc would cost more than the ps4 or xbones release price. (not including a new monitor)

I am the last remaining person i know that actually has a desktop, everyone else i know has a laptop or an all-in-one.

I will however be building a new pc at some point in time as i hate laptops and prefer to have a desktop with a large monitor, it won't initially be for gaming as i will keep costs down by not buying a gfx card till later.

PCs can achieve a higher frame rate which results in a smoother experience. Also, you mentioned that PCs need to be upgraded in order to play the latest games. That's partially true, but a GTX 570 is still fine for the latest games. Even a 560 Ti is still fine.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

PCs can achieve a higher frame rate which results in a smoother experience. Also, you mentioned that PCs need to be upgraded in order to play the latest games. That's partially true, but a GTX 570 is still fine for the latest games. Even a 560 Ti is still fine.

Yeah my 560ti basically runs everything on high still. I don't see a reason to upgrade my gpu for the next year or so as I don't mind turning down some settings.

you say "the potential of the new consoles coming out in 2 months" well sorry to say but i must say i disagree strongly .. the consoles coming out in a couple of months has no potential.

you say "the potential of the new consoles coming out in 2 months" well sorry to say but i must say i disagree strongly .. the consoles coming out in a couple of months has no potential.

Then you don't get what makes their potential so great.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Then you don't get what makes their potential so great.

i truly don't, the only thing i like is that they are running amd hardware.

i truly don't, the only thing i like is that they are running amd hardware.

And that is what makes their potential so great. 

Mantle + Next Generation APU's + (in the PS4's case) GDDR5 RAM + Cloud Gaming (Such as Geikei and M$'s equivalent) makes their potential huge. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I see a benifit to consoles being that you don't need to upgrade them to play the latest games.

To upgrade my pc would cost more than the ps4 or xbones release price. (not including a new monitor)

I am the last remaining person i know that actually has a desktop, everyone else i know has a laptop or an all-in-one.

I will however be building a new pc at some point in time as i hate laptops and prefer to have a desktop with a large monitor, it won't initially be for gaming as i will keep costs down by not buying a gfx card till later.

say what? you don't have to upgrade only reason you'd upgrade is when you don't want to game with the crappy graphics of consoles after you've had your rig for a few years. a friend of mine still runs the latest games just fine on a 9500 GT (exception of crysis 3 since it requires DX 11 to even launch) which was a $100 card back in the day.

Heck even the laptop I'm typing on atm can run games moderately and it has a 9600M GT 512 MB. and we all know 512 MB is basically nothing.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

GTA V. Only reason I'm happy to have that dusty ps3-thing.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

believe me a 400$ pc will not be as good as a console for the same lifespan as a console,,, I love pc gaming, hardware and software, I can build my own pc if I could but then a PC that plays all games from the couch for 6-7 years is not cheap!!

on the other hand there are thousands of things you can do with a powerfull pc ....a pc isn't just a gaming machine .. it's so much more hence a better value.

on the other hand there are thousands of things you can do with a powerfull pc ....a pc isn't just a gaming machine .. it's so much more hence a better value.

To be fair, the consoles this generation can do a lot too. In all honesty, unless you need a PC for utility (Word, Access, Design, Rendering, among other various "PC only" things), consoles would be fine for you if you just want it for entertainment (TV Shows, games, movies, Surfing facebook, etc.)

† Christian Member †

To be fair, the consoles this generation can do a lot too. In all honesty, unless you need a PC for utility (Word, Access, Design, Rendering, among other various "PC only" things), consoles would be fine for you if you just want it for entertainment (TV Shows, games, movies, Surfing facebook, etc.)

im just saying, when people complain about the price tag of pc's, you aren't buying a dedicated gaming machine, it's so much much more. 

im just saying, when people complain about the price tag of pc's, you aren't buying a dedicated gaming machine, it's so much much more. 

Very true.

† Christian Member †

I enjoy the console gaming experience, got the xbox 360 when it came out , and I've preordered the xbox one. I think the part I like the most is how unified everything is on the xbox , so easy to invite people to play games and so on.

for me personaly , playing with others is were I get my enjoyment and the console experience is excellent with this. if i'm playing call of duty black ops 2 , and a friend is playing gta 5, its so easy to turn on chat , send a game invite. on pc you relay on the person having origin , maby Skype for mic , steam and so on.

playing battlefield 3 with all the settings on ultra is really cool , but after about an hour that fluff wears off and only the addictive gameplay , team play and so on is what really keeps me in the game.

as for consoles holding pc hardware back , were does that argument end , one could argue that a 560 ti is holding back a GTX titan. (it is).

for most consumers they don't want to hear about megahertz , building there own rig and so on , and its not because there stupid , its simply because they don't care.

and pc's are very expensive if you don't build your own rig.

yes that is also true ^^ being honest with you I have a ps3 and a laptop, if I put both of their prices together it is around £700 for that then yeah a nice pc might be affordable

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

yes that is also true ^^ being honest with you I have a ps3 and a laptop, if I put both of their prices together it is around £700 for that then yeah a nice pc might be affordable

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

consles suck. logan just put out a pc build video that will kill you consle for $450 and preform better.

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

And yes, Linus is OUR man.

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3200Mhz GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080ti MoBo: MSI Z170 Krait Gaming 3X Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52 Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D HDD/SSD: (Boot) Intel 750 Series 400GB, (Games) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, (Data) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro L w/ Cherry MX Blues Mouse: Logitech G900 Monitor: Acer X34 Predator @ 100hz

Phone(s): Samsung Galaxy S8+

Linus is awesome! Seriously. I don't respect consoles, and neither does Linus. That's the right thing to do!

Consoles sucks! They just ruin it for us PC gamers. The console peasants NEED to go away, ASAP.

Linus is not too harsh on the consoles! They suck!

Here's my list:

Graphics are better

Resolution is higher

Framerate is higher

Cheaper games

Backwards compatability

Free online

Better online

Mods. 'nuff said

Higher precision with mouse and keyboard + mapable controls + You can use whatever controller you want.

Emulators

More games!!! Indies + more variety!  :wub: 

Upgradable hardware!

CONSOLES SUCKS :) 

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

Linus is awesome! Seriously. I don't respect consoles, and neither does Linus. That's the right thing to do!

Consoles sucks! They just ruin it for us PC gamers. The console peasants NEED to go away, ASAP.

Linus is not too harsh on the consoles! They suck!

Here's my list:

Graphics are better

Resolution is higher

Framerate is higher

Cheaper games

Backwards compatability

Free online

Better online

Mods. 'nuff said

Higher precision with mouse and keyboard + mapable controls + You can use whatever controller you want.

Emulators

More games!!! Indies + more variety!  :wub: 

Upgradable hardware!

CONSOLES SUCKS :) 

While I totally agree, there are definitely scenarios where consoles come in handy. I personally am of the PC master race, :) and when it comes to gaming I always choose PC. My problem is that I am the only person out of my friends who plays PC. So if I want to play with friends, I kind of have to get a console. And I actually like consoles. I like being able to stuff my ps3 and a controller into my backpack and head to a friends house and hook up to one of his TVs. I also enjoy exclusives. I don't agree that consoles suck, but they sure as hell are a lot worse than PC's. But that's just my 2 cents :)

"You can try to play chess with a pigeon. But even if you win, it'll shit on the board and strut around."