Do you think my man Linus is a bit too harsh on consoles?

threadysparrow

Haha, this is my first comment in the forum, i like play games using my pc, i like being able to buy the pc part by part and able to upgrade it after a few years.

Welcome to the forums :) Yeah there is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone playing on a console if it brings them some joy.

Like I said the problem is the the PC experience always needs a keyboard and mouse, even if its just to navigate on windows to start the game.

Let me just say, I play 99% on a PC atm, I sold my PS3 a couple weeks ago (I regret a bit cuz GTA5), I'm just saying the all console experience that includes great optimization for your control, it's game centric, that means you turn it on in like 1 mint you are already playing a game, its snappy fast and optimized, doesn't feel sluggish, ported or something, Its socially fun to play with people and most of the games are made for that. 

Which leads me on to this point, forget the games, how much happiness does the experience bring you? I definitely think PC has the most potential, but if someone thinks that console is more enjoyable then yeah, that's their choice.

I'm not sure where you are getting the sluggish idea from, the majority of games load up faster than a console would and switching games is definitely far quicker, infact you can have both loaded simultaneously and switch when you are ready without interrupting game chat.

Yes okay some games are poorly optimized and others never even make it to PC like Gran Turismo, Forza, Uncharted and GTA V (for the mean time), but that's not the hardware's fault, its the developers playing politics, who ever has the most cash gets exclusivity or better optimization. This is what needs to change, then PC and console gamers can live in peace in their own comfort zones.

He's not being harsh on the idea of consoles or the hardware per-say. More that both Sony & MS think that every time they make a new console they are giving gamers a give from the gods. Which makes them both look like a total joke when you read "Supercharged gaming PC (PS4)" and "Unparalleled gaming platform (Xbone)" that it just makes them look like the joke of the entire entertainment industry. They are nothing more than $200 worth of very low end gaming technology stuffed into a tiny box that ending up being nothing more than a glorified TV set top box or a space heater. Not to mention you control the things with a glorified disability chair control stick that can also double's as a sexual pleasure device.

To be fair consoles are great for people on a budget and play casually.

Have you ever played FIFA, NHL, or any sports game around a computer? It's dumb and insane. I feel PC gaming is more serious while console gaming is more laid back. It's hard to play with M+KB in a recliner.

Actually, I have been playing both FIFA and NHL on a pc for 15 years. I always played M+KB and never felt a disadvantage against my opponent with a joystick or a controller.

You sir have not driven with a steering wheel, gear shift, and pedals (including clutch where possible), and Eyefinity. 

I prefer my games hardcore personally. Wherever I play them. xD

Dark Souls for PS3 was great. Totally related.

yes, i have. i'm running eyefinity, and i sold my steering wheel a few months ago. it's just to expensive compared to console with controller :P also, the best racing games is exclusive for consoles...

No he isn't harsh. I think Linus is used to looking at it in a technical point of view; Yes hardware-wise PC is far superior but, the sad 'reality of it is' what matter is games and publishers will never harness the power of PC as long as consoles exist.

But I think Naughty Dog's games or 343 Studios' games are alone worth buying a console for. What do you guys think?

These games are worth $400 to you, you must be rich or don't understand the value of money.

Which leads me on to this point, forget the games, how much happiness does the experience bring you? I definitely think PC has the most potential, but if someone thinks that console is more enjoyable then yeah, that's their choice.

I'm not sure where you are getting the sluggish idea from, the majority of games load up faster than a console would and switching games is definitely far quicker, infact you can have both loaded simultaneously and switch when you are ready without interrupting game chat.

Yes okay some games are poorly optimized and others never even make it to PC like Gran Turismo, Forza, Uncharted and GTA V (for the mean time), but that's not the hardware's fault, its the developers playing politics, who ever has the most cash gets exclusivity or better optimization. This is what needs to change, then PC and console gamers can live in peace in their own comfort zones.

I can't forget the games on a console they are made for that, well for more stuff like netflix and so on, but for internet experience, working, chatting (text) and much more that a Pc experience, Its a more workstation driven, like consoles are game driven.

About the sluggish you misunderstood me, my fault, I was talking about trying to use a computer on a living room, about the need to use the mouse to navigate to a game, or some games aren't optimized for a controller and some you need to spend time on the option menu bind everything correctly, and game that don't support the gamepad period, no split screen, the boot times on the console are almost instant, all this and much more give me the feel of sluggish, unoptimized. And yes loadings on Pc are way faster, consoles simply cannot compete.

Intel Core i5 760 @ 3.8Ghz ◆ ASUS P7P55D--E ◆ Corsair XMS3 8Gb ◆ nVidia GeForce GTX 470 ◆ 1Tb WD BLACK HDD ◆ 250Gb Seagate HDD ◆ OCZ SS2 600W ◆ WD 500Gb MyBook ◆ Corsair Vengeance 1500

new setup coming soon

MacBook Pro 2011 ◆ Intel Core i7 @ 2.2GHz ◆ Corsair 8Gb ◆ Samsung 840 120GB SSD ◆ 750Gb HDD ◆ AMD Radeon HD 6750M

yes, i have. i'm running eyefinity, and i sold my steering wheel a few months ago. it's just to expensive compared to console with controller :Palso, the best racing games is exclusive for consoles...

So you are saying you already had it, but it was too expensive.

*confused as can be*

Fair enough on the boldened part of your post.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I build my own machines now thanks to a read opening my eyes to power that PC gaming. However gaming today wouldn't even be where it is if it weren't for consoles like the Nintendo or genesis. And despite consoles not having power of PCs they still have their purpose. If PCs were allowed to make the jumps they always wanted to we'd be upgrading hardware every other year. Who can afford to shell out that kind of money?

I think consoles combined with things like Nvidias GRID wIll solve people's problem with graphical limitations within the next 5 years or so. They had one connect to an Ouya at pax running games at full HD.

Never forget PC gamers are still in the minority when all is said and done. If services like GRiD take off. You better believe they will be taking it to consoles not just PCs.

These games are worth $400 to you, you must be rich or don't understand the value of money.

Forgive my double posting. But if people love a franchise or development company, they will buy the console that game is coming out on. If they truly believe the experience they're having or are going to have is worth their time and money. Who are you to criticize?

This elitist attitude towards which technology is better is just stupid.

Consoles are a great cheaper equivalent.. OR RATHER they were, £450 for the XBox one.. that's pretty much my PC.

Common sense would tell you to move to PC really, more gaming for your money.

The fact is that when it comes to gaming the PC destroys consoles with better graphics,controls,options,updatability,Mods and Game prices the only thing that consoles really have going for them is the unit price and local split screen . A lot of console gamers will use the old comfort argument but i don't think that's really relevant anymore hell i used a "steambox" rig to play saints row 4 in my sitting room on my big screen TV with a controller =) options thats what a PC is all about .That being said i do think some PC gamers need to calm down a bit you just have to read any forum post where some poor SOB dares to ask about using a controller on a PC game that does not support it to see how sicking some PC elitism is starting to get .

The only difference between a politician and a criminal in patience . A criminal will try to take everything immediately where as a politician known to take it one small piece at a time

I would definitely disagree, you're being a bit too Nazi. Consoles have their own niche and there are reasons too choose a console over PC. PC overlaps in gaming with consoles and is superior, but a console might be better for someone who wants to play with people over, or for a kid with siblings. Console is also easier to integrate into a living room since they're practically plug and play. Much simpler to operate and troubleshooting is pretty much nonexistent. Some people don't really care about graphics and only want to play the game, or already have a PC and are satisfied with it and have no need for redundancy when all they want to do is play a video game. They're just that much easier to use.

You're going fully against a consistent societal trend. If someone wants to game with most of their friends from school or Uni, they buy an Xbox or a PS3 because the majority of people still don't use PC for entertainment and instead use it for work or social networking.

Saying that they can do the same at the same price-point is just flat wrong. The hardware for a console is also heavily subsidized, you can't say you can build a PC equivalent of a console because the hardware is purchased by bulk, deals and arrangement, and sometimes sold at 0 or below profit margin.

Please consider that, while we might understand how simple and beneficial it is to put together a PC and how to deal with the problems associated with it, most people do not. In that way the information that people on this and many other forums posses is somewhat esoteric and with that knowledge it becomes harder to understand why someone wouldn't act on what you know, but what they know. It's like expecting an ape to be able to put together a set of legos to receive 10 bananas, or they could just push a button and receive 3. It seems idiotic  to you because you know how to play with legos, but  the ape prefers pushing the button because it's still satisfied and doesn't know a thing about legos.

You really shouldn't look down on people that don't know as much.

So console is sort of like baby’s first PC

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

Actually, I have been playing both FIFA and NHL on a pc for 15 years. I always played M+KB and never felt a disadvantage against my opponent with a joystick or a controller.

Since NHL 09, there hasn't been a Windows port.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Both. Being rich is the reason why I don't understand money. And there is more computing power in the xbox 360 than in a pc

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

What are you talking about? Poor Linus says what console deserves. The existence of console is a curse. They were born to be wasted. LOL at least we get to rip on them.

the truth has spoken

No, it goes: The Truth is SPOKEN!!!! *sounds the horn to the next mountain and lights the beacon*

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

Is a wolf too harsh on a deer?

Is a shark too harsh on a fish?

Is a wildebeast too harsh on a blade of grass?

No. This is just the natural order of things.

Best response in this thread. ^

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

So you are saying you already had it, but it was too expensive.

*confused as can be*

Fair enough on the boldened part of your post.

i was thinking in general :P i got most of my peripherals on sale or through friends...

I wish Linus and Slick would play some console exclusives on stream. Heavy Rain, Skyward Sword, FF10 (6 would be a different, legacy stream)

I think Linus and Slick see it somewhat in a irrelevant manner because of the state of affairs with pc/console gaming rubbing off on them and I in a bad way. Things are currently changing somewhat in favor of games on PC with the indie games surge, but for the longest time and for a many years ahead computer gamers have had to deal with a lot of FLAC, directly because of the console. 

All the console games are tested on special virtualized environments on full fledged computers when they are in development. Then ported to the consoles to play. And as we all know ported to PC as well, most of the time. When it's ported to work on PC, it often lacks proper cpu utilization, bloated UI elements and so on. What I'm saying is for the longest time the PC gamers were treated as second hand citizens. 

Even now we PC gamers are getting happy because , Oh the xbox one architecture and cores will allow for better optimization *hopefully for the PC as well. Linus also said something like that. The way I see it, it's still like PC game customers are still getting the scraps left over by the consoles. We shouldn't get better working games for PC's because consoles are advancing, we should get it because we deserve it, because it only makes sense. The development cycle should be for the PC, then down to the consoles, by order of pure hardware performance. Linus also said something like the line will blur between consoles and PC's eventually, with cloud gaming, etc. I can't wait for that. Once that happens there will be one development cycle for game dev's and nobody will get left out. Most importantly we can advance graphics, AI, etc. forward instead of pulling back all gaming medians, because it needs to be able to run on the lowest subset of gaming medians, which are consoles.

So to answer your questions the "harsh" tone comes from the years and years of the industry abusing and neglecting gamers on computers.

I realllllly wish PC's would come with a default Split Screen option like Consoles do.

Gamepads are a thing, so I cannot see a reason they should not.

Some game have this option, like dirt 3, you can play in split screen with 2 controllers. I even played on 2 monitors (1 player per monitor), you can't do that on a console!

And you can't plug a keyboard/mouse which is kinda sad :D

Another stupid thing is the PS4 will only run BF4 in 720p. It's supposed to be a next gen console. And it costs $400 ($500 in europe, 400€).

Yes consoles are cheaper, but yeahhhh just watch Linus' video comparing BF3 on Xbox vs PC. Xbox look like it's in low settings.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4260182476

CPU - Intel 3770k @ 4.5GHz + CM 212 EVO + Noctua NF-F12/ GPU - EVGA GTX 780 SC w/ ACX / PSU - Corsair AX860i / Motherboard - Z77A-GD55 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM / HDD - 1.5TB WDC Black - 3.0TB WDC Red - 120GB Sandisk Extreme - 500GB Samsung 850 / Display - Asus PB287Q 4K and Asus VG248 + 3D Vision 2 glasses / Mouse - G500s