Do you think my man Linus is a bit too harsh on consoles?

threadysparrow

NEIN NEIN NEIN 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

So you don't like to play on your living room? or you some how manage to work with a keyboard and a mouse on your sofa?!?! Because gaming in a living room will not go away.

no... he needs to be whipping them with a horse riding crop whilst riding a CoolerMaster Cosmos2 case

Character artist in the Games industry.

They don't even give the points that the consoles have, I like the chilled laid back experience from a console, it just works and there is split-screen options. 

No saying neither is better, that's just facts

Not really.

But I do think that a lot of the forum kids (under 18) tend to really take anti-console to a whole new level on the forum and it can get pretty annoying.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Console exclusives are the main benefit, with ease of use being another huge one.

The cold hard truth is that not every gamer is some tech-savvy LTT forum member who is willing to try 4 different voice chat clients to find the one that doesn't sound like butt or give his IP to everyone in his/her contact list.

Consoles fill that void.

I just have no use for them, that's all.

Linus it is possible to gain a IP through a chat on a console but it requires a bit of tech savvy knowledge well software anyway. Cain and Abel is a way to get IP's people used this exploit in online games on Halo for many years and still do.

Technology is a curse... why? Because it's so addictive.

Don't forget that people will normally want to have a cheap computer for general well computing along with the console so for the price of both you can easily just do the one gaming pc

That is assuming a lot. 

Money related assumptions:

1. They will buy them at the same time. And do not already have one or the other. If they have one or the other, building a gaming PC could be more costly, especially if their current PC is old. Most people's are. Try putting a 7850 in a motherboard with PCI-e 1 x16. Or running it off an old 350w off brand PSU. You get the idea.

2. They want to spend the time building it, which includes learning how to, then actually physically building it. (money related as time is money)

3. They do not want to play with other people at their house. (buying two of them instantly makes it more expensive)

Non-money related assumptions regarding gaming in general:

4. They have friends who already game on PC if they want to play with their friends. 

You get the idea, as I said.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Yes and no.
From a geek/non-gamimg perspective, nothing to say about Linus attitude.
From a pure gaming perspective, yes. I always see too much people say that true gaming experience is only on pc and true gamers only play on pc, well, in my opinion that's not true. A TRUE gamer will also play on consoles for their exclusives (IF they can afford it- but again, if they have a capable pc money is not THE problem I guess)
IMHO

MAIN Core V21 | i7 5820K @ 4.2 1.21v | Corsair H100i + NF-F12 | Asrock X99M Killer | Crucial Sport 4x4GB 2400 CAS16 @ 2666 CAS15 | 290X DCUII OC @ 1115/1450 1.3v | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + 830 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Corsair AX650

I think that Linus is at a good balance right now on the way he treats consoles. He hasn't come down and said PC master race, he has said PC master race, if you know how to build a computer and put time into it. Really consoles are good for the general public, but it doesn't give the hardcore gamer everything he wants. If you're the hardcore gamer go to PC. If not go simply for consoles. The single reason why I play on consoles is because they got the exclusives. If PC were to get ports for Forza, Halo, and Destiny I would not have to own both.

Back from the dead....

Console exclusives are the main benefit, with ease of use being another huge one.

The cold hard truth is that not every gamer is some tech-savvy LTT forum member who is willing to try 4 different voice chat clients to find the one that doesn't sound like butt or give his IP to everyone in his/her contact list.

Consoles fill that void.

I just have no use for them, that's all.

Ok then I misinterpreted what you were saying. My bad dawg.

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

Ok that answer the part on how to use a mouse and a keyboard on your living room, but compare that to a xbox or ps3, is really impractical, where you can just take the controller and you're good to go and you can play with your friends as well.

Intel Core i5 760 @ 3.8Ghz ◆ ASUS P7P55D--E ◆ Corsair XMS3 8Gb ◆ nVidia GeForce GTX 470 ◆ 1Tb WD BLACK HDD ◆ 250Gb Seagate HDD ◆ OCZ SS2 600W ◆ WD 500Gb MyBook ◆ Corsair Vengeance 1500

new setup coming soon

MacBook Pro 2011 ◆ Intel Core i7 @ 2.2GHz ◆ Corsair 8Gb ◆ Samsung 840 120GB SSD ◆ 750Gb HDD ◆ AMD Radeon HD 6750M

... and you can play with your friends as well.

I realllllly wish PC's would come with a default Split Screen option like Consoles do. 

Gamepads are a thing, so I cannot see a reason they should not.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Ok that answer the part on how to use a mouse and a keyboard on your living room, but compare that to a xbox or ps3, is really impractical, where you can just take the controller and you're good to go and you can play with your friends as well.

Well I preempted this reply and the answer is take your xbox controller and plug it into your pc, then connect the whole thing up to your TV.

I honestly have nothing against console gamers, but they are horribly locked down. Microsoft and Sony punish people for wanting to modify their hardware/software, PC gamers have the freedom to create amazing games tailored to themselves and this is where the difference seems to lie.

If console gamers want to live in the dark then I'm happy for them, some people may not want the PC experience, others can't live without it...

consoles has both ups and downs, and i like both. for example: i prefer fps on computer, but i don't mind relaxing in the couch with some forza 4 either. it's really just based on personal preferences :) although i do agree that console is holding pcgames back, and i don't like it :P

The master has spoken ^

For some games i even use a Xbox controller ;)

4690k==H105==Z97 Sniper G1== Ballistix Tracer 8GB==MSI GTX 1660 Ti== 1TB SB==MX100 128GB ==450D

did you know that you can use a controller with your pc? woah! mind blown right?

consoles has both ups and downs, and i like both. for example: i prefer fps on computer, but i don't mind relaxing in the couch with some forza 4 either. it's really just based on personal preferences :) although i do agree that console is holding pcgames back, and i don't like it :P

You sir have not driven with a steering wheel, gear shift, and pedals (including clutch where possible), and Eyefinity. 

I prefer my games hardcore personally. Wherever I play them. xD

Dark Souls for PS3 was great. Totally related.

† Christian Member †

I agree on a lot of what linus thinks about consoles. I have attemped to play on consoles a few times, but the terrible input lag / bad graphics and the controllers just put me off inmediately.

Haha, this is my first comment in the forum, i like play games using my pc, i like being able to buy the pc part by part and able to upgrade it after a few years.

but for a non tech savvy person(which most of my friends are), they like console, because its simple, you just need to hit the store>get one>go home> plug it in>start gaming,

for pc, you need to do a lot of study, survey about parts, gathering it all, build it(fun), install all the programs(nightmare no.1), trouble shooting (nightmare no.2)

Well I preempted this reply and the answer is take your xbox controller and plug it into your pc, then connect the whole thing up to your TV.

I honestly have nothing against console gamers, but they are horribly locked down. Microsoft and Sony punish people for wanting to modify their hardware/software, PC gamers have the freedom to create amazing games tailored to themselves and this is where the difference seems to lie.

If console gamers want to live in the dark then I'm happy for them, some people may not want the PC experience, others can't live without it...

Like I said the problem is the the PC experience always needs a keyboard and mouse, even if its just to navigate on windows to start the game.

Let me just say, I play 99% on a PC atm, I sold my PS3 a couple weeks ago (I regret a bit cuz GTA5), I'm just saying the all console experience that includes great optimization for your control, it's game centric, that means you turn it on in like 1 mint you are already playing a game, its snappy fast and optimized, doesn't feel sluggish, ported or something, Its socially fun to play with people and most of the games are made for that. 

Intel Core i5 760 @ 3.8Ghz ◆ ASUS P7P55D--E ◆ Corsair XMS3 8Gb ◆ nVidia GeForce GTX 470 ◆ 1Tb WD BLACK HDD ◆ 250Gb Seagate HDD ◆ OCZ SS2 600W ◆ WD 500Gb MyBook ◆ Corsair Vengeance 1500

new setup coming soon

MacBook Pro 2011 ◆ Intel Core i7 @ 2.2GHz ◆ Corsair 8Gb ◆ Samsung 840 120GB SSD ◆ 750Gb HDD ◆ AMD Radeon HD 6750M

That is assuming a lot. 

Money related assumptions:

1. They will buy them at the same time. And do not already have one or the other. If they have one or the other, building a gaming PC could be more costly, especially if their current PC is old. Most people's are. Try putting a 7850 in a motherboard with PCI-e 1 x16. Or running it off an old 350w off brand PSU. You get the idea.

2. They want to spend the time building it, which includes learning how to, then actually physically building it. (money related as time is money)

3. They do not want to play with other people at their house. (buying two of them instantly makes it more expensive)

Non-money related assumptions regarding gaming in general:

4. They have friends who already game on PC if they want to play with their friends. 

You get the idea, as I said.

I will happily concede a few of those points but I do have something to say about #1 and #4

Given you can quite happily run a 6990 on a pci-e 2.0 slot there is no reason that you couldn't run a 7850 off a 1.0 x 16 lane as people have done that with 6950's and depending on how new the build is they may get away with a 350w PSU.

The way we fix # 4 is we get their friends to buy PCs instead of consoles.

Price wise because I just thought of it, if they're just upgrading their old PC they can use bits and pieces for the new build, my friend was until recently running a 6950 off some old OEM 400 w

That and they can probably carry over their case as well. Those along with the fact that PC games are cheaper before sales and get much cheaper after the fact.

Please excuse the typing , I'm on my phone.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

I will happily concede a few of those points but I do have something to say about #1 and #4

Given you can quite happily run a 6990 on a pci-e 2.0 slot there is no reason that you couldn't run a 7850 off a 1.0 x 16 lane as people have done that with 6950's and depending on how new the build is they may get away with a 350w PSU.

The way we fix # 4 is we get their friends to buy PCs instead of consoles.

Price wise because I just thought of it, if they're just upgrading their old PC they can use bits and pieces for the new build, my friend was until recently running a 6950 off some old OEM 400 w 

That and they can probably carry over their case as well. Those along with the fact that PC games are cheaper before sales and get much cheaper after the fact.

Please excuse the typing , I'm on my phone.

But if they only have a 1.0 x16 slot, then how bad do you think their CPU's are? Bottleneck. How old (and small capacity) do you think their RAM is? Bottleneck. It would add up. I used PCI-e 1 x16 because I thought it might be a bottleneck, but I suppose it would not. However, everything that comes with that would. Old HDD's are small and slow. 

Remember, the power usage of CPU's in the past decade has not changed much. They are just getting more efficient. It would still probably pull as much as current day ones pull, but just do less.

Really? When most of their friends probably already own a console anyway? Compared to the hassle of all that, buying a console is a no-brainer. 

That is long term. I said short term. People just do not want to deal with all the hassle that PC's bring. The reason we are fine with it is because it is our hobby. We enjoy it. Plus we have the knowledge to cut the time it takes down considerably. 

† Christian Member †

Somewhat, potentially for the wrong reasons. Although I can't really remember having ever heard an "official stance" on the subject there's certainly a hint of negativity shining through when the subject is brought up.

Now I've been playing on PC for over 20 years, I've been playing on console for almost 14 years, my very first gaming system that was mine and mine alone was a Playstation hooked up to a TV set I scrounged from an electronics dump you had to beat smack half to death to make work. Now I'm the kind of gamer that grew up with PC games that wouldn't work unless you had the correct peripherals, like joysticks or game-pads, or what have you, so I definitely think that's one of the strengths of PC gaming. Not necessarily the keyboard and mouse. While I do prefer k&m for FPS, a genre I generally don't play much, or RTS(duh) I prefer other inputs for most of the games I play, so I do have a number of peripherals for my PC that I use frequently.

In any case I feel like a lot of the "PC gamer master race" have a bit of a wrong focus, well, at least the loudspoken crowd does. I am of course thinking of the graphics, sure consoles won't look as good, sure the framerate might be worse, sure the draw distance might be small, but honestly unless the devs have done a piss poor job of it the game can still be extremely enjoyable. Lately there's been a massive swing from major devs to pump out first and third person shooters, or third person action adventures, these games I tend to find just work better on PC, and that's probably the biggest problem with consoles right now. As the PC market is growing more ports are coming over, and most of the time the ports are just plain lazy, not to speak of how they make games "accessible" by limiting PC games with console specific mechanics. That is to me the biggest issue in the whole PC vs Console argument.

If you're still reading you've probably noticed I'm not very good at making arguments.

Now I don't remember specific numbers, but as I remember it Consoles have the lions share of the market when it comes to gaming, but the PC gaming scene is steadily growing, and I do believe there have been a number of good, high production PC specific games released in the immediate past. Obviously if the market continues to grow there's going to be even more, but for the PC games to be good there needs to be a swing in the market for Console games. Unforunately the consumers on the console side will keep buying the same garbage FPS/3PS and action/adventure games and the terrible ports will keep coming over to PC.

At the moment I have consoles and PC, so I can enjoy playing some console exclusive games I enjoy and I can play things like FPS and RTS on PC, not that I've seen an RTS on console since Command & Conquer on PS1.

I'm one of the few people I know that tend to repair electronics with a smith's hammer on a regular basis.