Decline in Content Quality & Exclusivity of Content

no new products to feature in videos?

bullshit ... there might not be new gpus or CPUs, but there are still tons of products to review/ to stuff with. Linus just said, that he is bored of reviewing the newest smartphones etc and much rather produces these crappy clips.

I have watched almost all of LTTs videos from start to end for years now, but in the last 2 weeks I have often stopped after only 1-2 minutes into it ....

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

1 minute ago, RodJames said:

Risk and reward...

Well I just hope for Linuses sake it does work out but as I said in the last thread on this topic...

Once a business starts to concentrate on what they want instead of what the customers want they're doomed to failure.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

26 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Well the truth is there are simply not enougth interesting new products to review. Looks like they runn slowly out of (resonable) ideas for new videos after they made >>1 000 of them. It's pretty hard to come up with new things on a daily basis.

Yes some content was a bit rushed and a bit lower quality than it used to be, but I don't minde. It's free and I suspect the quality drop is only temporarly.

Just wait a month or two until they have more time to deliver good videos again.

new season of scrapyard wars is already shot. soon, soon we will get very good content again.

It's happening all over .  I just watched a vid by Paul's hardware in which the intro is him trying (or at least pretending to) review yet ANOTHER version of a 980TI it then morphs into yet another "behind the scenes" where he shows just how dirty/unorganised his life/home really is and spends lots of time actually cleaning a system .  So it is not just LMG that has no new products to review and so produces filler videos .  I wouldn't sweat it too much, if you really can't be bothered don't watch them .

Oh and @MrSuperb what sort of new items should they review, most 'new' versions of something consist of only incremental improvements. He is only bored of doing smrtphones etc as the review can be written without even actually having the phone i.e. this feature will be slightly better, battery life will be slightly less, unit will be like this shape, etc .  A decent in depth review will consist of him actually using the new phone for a week or so no future there (one vid a week on a new phone, if a new phone was released that week)

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

4 minutes ago, ben dover kid said:

new season of scrapyard wars is already shot. soon, soon we will get very good content again.

This "oh scrapyard wars is the greatest thing since sliced bread" is really bugging me.

To be honest Scrapyard wars whilst good isn't 'all that and a bag of chips'.  It will (this time) consist of one 30-45 min video a week for about a month, does 30-45mins a week make up (in your mind) for all the other stuff some people are complaining about.

"This too shall pass"

1 minute ago, soup said:

This "oh scrapyard wars is the greatest thing since sliced bread" is really bugging me.

To be honest Scrapyard wars whilst good isn't 'all that and a bag of chips'.  It will (this time) consist of one 30-45 min video a week for about a month, does 30-45mins a week make up (in your mind) for all the other stuff some people are complaining about.

no. but i don't need hours of ltt content every day. if there is nothing interesting online, maybe people should go outside or do something else. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

2 hours ago, Jobbe03 said:

I can't believe how many of you are actually just blindly defending them for putting out (let's be real) lazy and badcontent.

They just don't have the time to make entertaining videos.

What do you think they are doing with their time then?

By the way I am not blindly defending them I just want to know what YOU see as entertaining.

Sticking to a tech only strategy would be wrong and short sighted (especially at a time when there is very little new stuff to look at) but I thought Linus had said LMG will less and less concentrate on tech and explore other avenues

Pet peeve, it is Linus TECH tips not Linus GAMER tips.

Sometimes on here you would think the only reason people have high(ish) end kit is to play games on

"This too shall pass"

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

@soup oh comon ... there is tons of tech products worth reviewing / unboxing /do whatever other then smartphones.

They claim, that they only want to produce high quality videos, while they rose to their fame by producing mainly unboxing videos of the newest tech, that needed little to no prep time. Now they are putting out this crappy content ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I laugh at the people saying nothing interesting is happening in the tech world. Not only is that completely false, there are a ton of things they could make videos about that isn't the latest CPU or whatever, but there are also a lot of areas they haven't explored. Here are some video ideas I just came up with:

Spoiler

• Apple vs FBI. What it means for the consumers if Apple lose.
  • Guide on monitor calibration.
  • All the new smartphones that just came out.
  • Raspberry Pi 3 (could even do a comparison with the 2 and 1)
  • "Luke's Software Discoveries"
  • Things that aren't just CPUs and motherboards. Things like the Pono Player, the Myo armband etc. Do more Kickstarter crap kickfarted
  • Video on the Android N beta
  • SED, what it is and how to use it featuring the Samsung 850 (or some other SED drive).
  • Did they even make a video about the Samsung 950 Pro? That thing is amazing.
  • Have we had any videos about DirectX 12 yet?
  • A video on APUs and how far ahead/behind they are dGPUs. AMD also has a new Wraith cooler that they could try. Have they done any video about Iris at all?
  • A video about PSUs, how much wattage is actually needed and what to look for (not just wattage and 80+)
  • XConnect has been announced. Don't think reviewers have their hands on it yet but it will be pretty sweet when it comes out.
  • Interviews people and have them answer questions from your audience. Not just people from the office but people like Asus JJ, Fractal Josh, AMD Roy,  Jem Davies from ARM etc.
  • Look into the different limitations of displays with FreeSync. It seems like they are all over the place when it comes to the actual FreeSync capabilities. Explain what the limitations are and how they work.
  • Look into some new formats and make informative videos about them. BPG needs a lot more exposure than it currently got for example.
  • Browser comparison. Tom's Hardware made an entire series of that which they updated quite frequently. Not saying that LTT should do that too but one video would be fine. Better than looking at a frog for 10 minutes.
  • HTPC video. What to think of and how to use it.
  • iSwitch to GNU/Linux.

What really perplexes me are the people defending them, while at the same time saying the videos haven't been good. If you think the quality is dropping then the last thing you want is to just sit there and watch while the channel goes under. Constructive criticism is really important. It's like letting your drunk friend drive home after the party, because you can't be bothered telling him it's a bad idea. Even worse, some people attack the guy voicing his opinion that driving while drunk might not be a good idea.

If you think LMG is burnt out then maybe they should cut back on their video schedule. If they can't make 10 (or however many they do now) videos a week without having to rush them then maybe cut it down to 7 videos? You'd still have a video a day, but all of a sudden you got a ton of extra time to make sure the videos you do push out are good. But I guess that's up to Linus to decide. Quantity over quality is probably more profitable, at least in the short run.

59 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I laugh at the people saying nothing interesting is happening in the tech world. Not only is that completely false, there are a ton of things they could make videos about that isn't the latest CPU or whatever, but there are also a lot of areas they haven't explored. 

I think that what most people are talking about when they say that "nothing interesting" is happening in the tech world is that no new GPUs or CPUs worth a damn have come out recently and so, while there's still plenty of things to discuss, it... doesn't really feel that way. More of a placebo thing than anything, because as you brought up there's plenty of interesting things happening in the tech world. LTT doesn't seem to be capitalizing on this, though.

You guys are impossible to please.  Back in 2012 when I stumbled upon LTT it was just a sideshow for NCIX.  All it was was unboxings and some tech reviews, nothing really creative.  Fast forward to the house era and we get lots of interesting videos, but still lots of filler episodes and unboxings.  Keep in mind as well that videos were not daily for quite some time.  In the last year we have had whole room watercooling, scrapyard wars, the move, and 4 or 5 really interesting build logs (phase change and bomb come to mind)  along with the great moving vlogs and the beginning of the server videos.  I'm not sure how anyone can complain about the server videos yet like the build logs, because most of the server videos have been a showcase of bleeding edge tech that is beyond any consumer level hardware ($4500 dual CPUs, 10GBit server, 24 SSD arrays, etc) and that is what most people like to see.  

There has recently been a slump in video quality, but Scrapyard Wars is coming and so is new hardware.  The problem is there is NOTHING going on in the tech space right now, so every video has to be a new idea.  The only thing I would change about current LTT is I would like more reviews, but that is difficult to do with Linus and Luke being the only reviewers.

The complainers who want LTT to "go back" are looking through rose colored glasses and just don't appreciate all of the great content LTT puts out because they don't enjoy all of it.

System:  i7-6700k @ 4.5 GHz Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 16GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 | Gigabyte GA-Z170N Gaming 5 ITX 

Corsair SF600 SFX PSU Seagate 2TB HDD, 1TB SSHD | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB Boot DriveSilverstone ML08B-H |

17 hours ago, Autoimmunity said:

The problem is there is NOTHING going on in the tech space right now, so every video has to be a new idea.

Completely false.

I think some of you guys have nostalgia goggles about their old videos.  They have always done videos of questionable quality.  It's not any different now than it was then.

Remember the psu they put in a sling and launched off the roof?  

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

On 13/03/2016 at 2:09 PM, RodJames said:

Risk and reward...

ive yet to see a company willing to risk 2 million+ customers.

Even intel, AMD, Nvidia, Samsung, Apple etc wouldnt want to lose 2 million customers. Even to huge companies, 2 million users matter.

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Completely false.

Please, tell me what these exciting topics are so I can look them up.

System:  i7-6700k @ 4.5 GHz Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 16GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 | Gigabyte GA-Z170N Gaming 5 ITX 

Corsair SF600 SFX PSU Seagate 2TB HDD, 1TB SSHD | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB Boot DriveSilverstone ML08B-H |

42 minutes ago, Autoimmunity said:

Please, tell me what these exciting topics are so I can look them up.

I posted some examples of videos they could do above. I wrote that list at the top of my head as well. I am sure there are a ton of things going on right now.

There is more to tech than just consumer CPUs and GPUs.

I don't think the issue is a lack of ideas. I think the issues are lack of time and energy.

Have the last few videos out seemed dull or forced? The Ethernet stuff was cool as was the virtual computer vs real computer (though I wished they used more than one VM utility). But the painting a graphics card? Yes that's cool but it's not groundbreaking! What is it with all the how to basics videos!? It just seems like they are trying to make videos to stay afloat instead of making their well thoughtout content. And though it is more of the project videos that I like, the Gaming pc/ pizza warmer was just stupid.

See any one of umpteen similar threads

"This too shall pass"

I think they're experimenting with being creative in their videos instead of just reviews.  I like these new videos and I don't think they're dull for the most part but I also like the old ones.  Give it time and they'll find the perfect balance.

// Floatplane Pilot //

Main Rig:  Motherboard: ASUS H270 - PLUS - CSM | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) | Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC - 02 | SSD: ADATA SU800 128GB HDD: WD 1TB Hard Drive | PSU: Corsair CX 550M | CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Sound: Corsair VOID RGB / USB Headset | OS: Windows 10

Laptop:   Razer Blade Stealth 2016

4 minutes ago, ShadowDeity said:

I think they're experimenting with being creative in their videos instead of just reviews.  I like these new videos and I don't think they're dull for the most part but I also like the old ones.  Give it time and they'll find the perfect balance.

It's not that I don't like their creative builds its that they seem to be doing things that have been done for the umpteenth time. I also feel like some of the comedy isn't there. I'd love to see more DIY Ghetto stuff from Luke like the networking wall. That kind of stuff helps me.

PS: I really don't like a lot of reviews. What I like is their TV-esk content like scrapyard wars.

well they recorded scrapyard wars, but they will release that in a month because it needs to be edited

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It seems to me that they are experimenting with some new content formats and trying to see which way the company should expand. As @LinusTech said a nuber of months ago during a WAN show, there really hasn't been anything exciting to shake up the hardware scene lately: graphics card performance for new releases is boringly predictable, same with CPUs, monitors have had some impressive gains but that has been drowned out with the noise of a new model being released every couple months. When you start the business with review and unboxing of computer hardware and guides, and that ave slows to a crawl, its really hard to keep the business going without branching out and trying new things.

Personally, I like a majority of the new content, but some of it is kinda bland. That being said, it is completely unreasonable for any one person to expect LMG to cater to their taste in video content. Transision periods are always rough, but I think the crew at LMG are handling it pretty well and I look forward to seeing what they bring next.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.