Decline in Content Quality & Exclusivity of Content

Instead of putting out a video a day, they could also, for example take a break day and not putting out a video.

I'd rather have 5 videos a week that are good and well thought out, than 7 where 2 are good, 1 is decent and the rest feels extremly rushed

On 3/24/2016 at 4:46 AM, soup said:

Strikes me as a tad trollish to come onto somewhere and say it is so much better somewhere else.  If Tek syndicate is so much better in your eyes stick to that.

I don't agree that it's trollish. I think the 2 channels are targeting different audiences. Though one expressing his preference isn't trolling IMO. If he had just posted that one line, then yeah I would agree, but his reply (IMO at least) expressed "why", and again, that's his opinion and I think he should have the right to say what channel he prefers.

Personally I don't care, LTT is entertaining, so are other channels. If one doesn't like a channel why bother subscribing or watching the videos? There are a few channels I'm not subscribed but I'll watch a video here and there when they interest me.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

5 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

I don't agree that it's trollish. I think the 2 channels are targeting different audiences.

Yes they are targeting different audiences.  It still strikes me as trollish to point out that one audience would be better served by the channel which is aimed at a different audience.

5 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

If one doesn't like a channel why bother subscribing or watching the videos?

My viewpoint entirely.

Rather than going to the bother of posting "I don't like", just don't watch (generally the title lets you know roughly what the video is about and/or what level it's aimed at), or give a thumbs down in the video comments section,

Basically I watch all tech channels (LMG, Tek syndicate, Jayz, Awesome sauce, Paul's etc) but I realise not all of anyone's output will be entertaining.

The Tek seems to be very political, Barnucules seems very "woe is me", Jay tends to fixate on his weight loss/bike riding,  etc etc but I am not about to tell them they are doing it wrong rather I watch it all expecting some of it to be exactly what I want, some of it to mildly entertaining and some of it to be the worst dross known to mankind.  I am not subscribed to  Austin, Marcus Brownlee etc as they seem to mainly concentrate on phones or Apple products but even they produce some gems that demand to be watched .

So watch what appeals don't watch what doesn't. Companies have to be told if their target audience is unhappy and if criticizing make it as specific as possible and suggest how it should be 'fixed', a general "the videos now are not as good as they used to be" is not helpful.

(AIMHO)

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Bring back product reviews, especially case reviews. Those were good.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I think people are being very entitled about this whole situation. LMG doesn't owe you videos targeted to you, if you cease to enjoy their videos, just leave, unless you have actual valuable feedback on what they could do better (which very few people in this thread are doing) in which case give that feedback, and if you see no improvement, leave.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

1 minute ago, DebatED Nothing said:

I think people are being very entitled about this whole situation. LMG doesn't owe you videos targeted to you, if you cease to enjoy their videos, just leave, unless you have actual valuable feedback on what they could do better (which very few people in this thread are doing) in which case give that feedback, and if you see no improvement, leave.

And is saying you think the recent videos are worse quality than they used to be not providing feedback?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

And is saying you think the recent videos are worse quality than they used to be not providing feedback?

No, it's complaining. It's completely useless without saying why you think they're worse, and what you think they should do better. For example, if you play in a band or orchestra and after a rehersal playing your conductor just says "it was bad" that's useless, because if you knew why it was bad already, you wouldn't have played it badly. If your conductor says "you need to emphasise your dynamics more, trumpets you need to use mutes in this part of the song and clarinet 3 you need to have a look at section "B" because you got some rhythms wrong." then you can work with that, you know what's wrong, and therefore how to do it better next time.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

1 minute ago, DebatED Nothing said:

No, it's complaining. It's completely useless without saying why you think they're worse, and what you think they should do better. For example, if you play in a band or orchestra and after a rehersal playing your conductor just says "it was bad" that's useless, because if you knew why it was bad already, you wouldn't have played it badly. If your conductor says "you need to emphasise your dynamics more, trumpets you need to use mutes in this part of the song and clarinet 3 you need to have a look at section "B" because you got some rhythms wrong." then you can work with that, you know what's wrong, and therefore how to do it better next time.

??

Lots of us have said what we think was bad and why we think it was bad, some peoples have even suggested how they think it could be improved.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

??

Lots of us have said what we think was bad and why we think it was bad, some peoples have even suggested how they think it could be improved.

Yes, some people have given good feedback. Not my point. My point was that if you're not going to give good feedback then you might as well just not bother.

16 hours ago, DebatED Nothing said:

Yes, some people have given good feedback. Not my point. My point was that if you're not going to give good feedback then you might as well just not bother.

I disagree. I think it is important for everyone to voice your concerns about a possible decline in quality (not just in regards to LTT but in regards to everything). A lot of people might not know why they think the content is worse, but feel like it is anyway. Some people might just not be good at articulating and giving good feedback, but that does not mean their opinion that the content is getting worse any less important. Imagine if nobody but OP posted in this thread. The thread had 0 replies even though all these people agreed with the OP. Do you think that would get the Linus' attention? I don't think it would. 5 people giving constructive criticism and 50 people saying "I agree" is better than just 5 people giving constructive criticisms. The former shows that it is an issue people care about. The latter just shows that some people care about it, but it is hard to grasp how big of an issue it is.

The current trend for LTT does not look good. Their monthly viewers and subscribers have taken a nose dive the last few months. It peaked in 2015 and has only gone downhill since then.

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

And they're just going to think that it's because of the decline of products coming out, which is probably partially true. But actual video quality has gone down. Hopefully they'll fix it.

Personally I don't really watch tech youtube anymore anyway, the things that interest me.. I tend to already know. (and I prefer written review formats).

But I have noticed some videos on the feed or whatever it's called where I do wonder "did this need to exist" :P

19 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I disagree. I think it is important for everyone to voice your concerns about a possible decline in quality (not just in regards to LTT but in regards to everything). A lot of people might not know why they think the content is worse, but feel like it is anyway. Some people might just not be good at articulating and giving good feedback, but that does not mean their opinion that the content is getting worse any less important. Imagine if nobody but OP posted in this thread. The thread had 0 replies even though all these people agreed with the OP. Do you think that would get the Linus' attention? I don't think it would. 5 people giving constructive criticism and 50 people saying "I agree" is better than just 5 people giving constructive criticisms. The former shows that it is an issue people care about. The latter just shows that some people care about it, but it is hard to grasp how big of an issue it is.

The current trend for LTT does not look good. Their monthly viewers and subscribers have taken a nose dive the last few months. It peaked in 2015 and has only gone downhill since then.

No, I don't think the opinions of people who don't know exactly why the quality is declining aren't important, but I don't think them saying "It's just getting worse" is at all useful. I'd prefer it if people who had no constructive criticism just disliked youtube videos they don't like, and click the "agree" button on posts they think make good points and suggestions. 

On 23 mars 2016 at 4:03 AM, Psykomantis00 said:

[...]

Linus Halfass tips. We don't know what we're doing.  <-- Should be the new slogan. 

Well this is going to far, it seems like almost everyone here is jumping on the hate train. If you really think like that you should stop watching their videos. I'm serious, their content might not just be for you anymore. Time changes, people changes and YT channels changes; if you don't like it don't watch it, no need for any more pointless negativity here.

On 25/03/2016 at 1:26 PM, LAwLz said:

<snip>.  constructive criticism   <snip>    constructive criticisms.   <snip>

"Constructive" being the relevant word. Not just "the videos are bad now ".

"This too shall pass"

I'll try some actual suggestions that are probably driving a bit of the criticism.  Realize, I'm fairly new here, but I've watched most of the last 2 years worth of content.

On the actual reviews, change the set Linus uses.  It's got too much Orange compared to the old House/Office.  Further, move the table closer to the back wall and adjust the framing of the shot.  In an effort to make Linus not appear as a citizen of The Shire (he's not that short, but the old kitchen Island was very tall), it makes it come across as far more impersonal.   The inadvertent brilliance of the old Kitchen set is that reviews felt far more like someone standing in your kitchen explaining a product to you, rather than something out of corporate marketing.  The new set has tipped the scale far more to towards the Marketing side of the ledger, which I believe is the actual thorn-in-the-foot that people aren't catching on to.

It's really a subtle framing issues, but it really does change the visual effect of the reviews.

15 hours ago, Loleo said:

it seems like everybody here is jumping on the hate train.

Generalise much?

"This too shall pass"

2 hours ago, soup said:

Generalise much?

Yeah sorry meant almost everybody. Will fix it.

On 4/2/2016 at 3:06 PM, Loleo said:

Well this is going to far, it seems like almost everyone here is jumping on the hate train. If you really think like that you should stop watching their videos. I'm serious, their content might not just be for you anymore. Time changes, people changes and YT channels changes; if you don't like it don't watch it, no need for any more pointless negativity here.

If everyone is saying the same thing maybe the problem is with LTT and not everyone else. I prefer my method of down voting every video when it starts and if I finish it I might remove the thumbs down. I normally don't finish them.