Air France plane narrowly avoids collision with drone

patrick3027

An Air France Airbus A320 jet narrowly avoided colliding with a drone while descending for an approach to Paris Charles de Gaulle airport last month, the French aviation investigation agency BEA said.

The aircraft had been operating a service from Barcelona on Feb. 19 and was flying at 5,500ft when the co-pilot saw the drone.

He immediately disengaged the autopilot and carried out an avoidance manoeuvre while informing the captain of the drone’s presence, BEA said on its website.

The drone passed just five meters below the aircraft’s left wing, the agency said, classifying the incident as “serious”.

An investigation is still ongoing.

Source: http://www.inquisitr.com/2853561/paris-air-france-jet-narrowly-misses-collision-with-a-drone/

Damn that must be a nice drone, flying at 5,500ft

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

thats almost 2 kilometers up in air? holy shit I didnt know drones could fly that high.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Until innocents gets killed by some idiot, there will be plenty of idiots out there that will continue to fly into restricted air space.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

there will be plenty of idiots out there that will continue to fly into restricted air space.

ftfy

Even after someone dies from some idiot, people are going to fly into restricted air space.  The penalty will just get worse.

R9 5900X | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | ASUS Crosshair VIII DarkHero | EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 | 2x 1TB WD Black SN850 | Lian Li O11D-XL | Corsair AX1200i

I thought the US was working on a laser to shoot down drones?  If they've got that working, they should install one at every airport; it's obviously necessary.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Wow , tht's pretty high for a drone.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I thought the US was working on a laser to shoot down drones?  If they've got that working, they should install one at every airport; it's obviously necessary.

They should do it like the Dutch. http://www.wired.com/2016/02/so-dutch-cops-are-teaching-majestic-eagles-to-hunt-drones/ 

And then people get upset when governments issue regulations on owning/operating drones -___-'. Can you blame them for strict rules!?!

But can consumer drones even fly that high? I thought they maxed out at half that height? Was someone spying on the french o.O

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

4 minutes ago, Mattyp92 said:

ftfy

Even after someone dies from some idiot, people are going to fly into restricted air space.  The penalty will just get worse.

Looks like they probably won't care about the penalty, if they can afford a drone that can fly that high.

€75,000 and up to 1 year in prison. They'll most likely get away with a fine that's much less than that.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Not sure the laser can shoot down drones that high up.  This should not be a thing though with ADSB you can pretty much tell where all the commercial planes are.  If you are going to fly that high you should be required to have an ADSB transceiver and then all this will go away.  Governments should realize that people are going to fly their shinny drones up high if they can so they should allow it as long as the drone has ADSB and is capable of avoiding planes with ADSB.  This would really push the addoption of ADSB as it would be a major security risk not to have it.

1 Timothy 1:15

All it will take is one big high profile incident, and all drones will be insanely restricted.  Purchase will require registration, drones will have to be traceable, registered flight plans, all that stuff.  Manufactures may even have to build in limitations to the devices.

Though, personally, I just think the punishments need to be pretty hefty, and make a few public examples that are plastered all over the news. 

Everyone's too distracted/impressed by the height of the drone to care that a A320 nearly crashed because of some idiot.  The punishment for flying that close to planes should be getting sucked into the jet engine after it's landed.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I can totally see drones being banned from sale in the U.S. before 2020. People are just going to continue doing these stupid things whether because they are ignorant or they're trolling so they get them banned on purpose.

Drones are going to be black market products soon.

I didn't know drones can fly that high. There should be rules in place that prohibit this because sooner or later a drone will cause a nasty accident.

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That totally could never back fire

and is a drone really gone hurt a airliner? wouldn't the drone just squashed? 

4 hours ago, f22luke said:

Not sure the laser can shoot down drones that high up. 

The Military has lasers on Destroyers that shoot military grade  drones out of the sky.

I Think they can handle little toys. 

6 minutes ago, Arty said:

That totally could never back fire

Depends on the weight and size of the drone, it will probably instantly destroy a engine if it went into the engine thou...even a smallish drone as they have li-pos as batteries...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

So...what was the drone doing that high up in the air, anyway? Taking pictures of clouds? Or birds? Can someone elaborate?

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

8 minutes ago, Arty said:

Most likely be the equivalent of a bird strike.

If it strikes a surface it could puncture the skin or cause a minor dent. 

If it gets pulled in through the air conditioner inlets it could cause the loss of an air-conditioning unit.

If it goes down the engine intake it could cause damage to the blades/internals. 

All of which won't cause an aircraft to crash, the engine will "require" an emergency landing, but time spent on the ground means the airliner isn't making money, and I can bet you that's their biggest fear. 

19 minutes ago, Arty said:

A drone could easily destroy a VERY  vital and expensive jet engine.

A heavy-duty drone could cause serious structural problems. If it hit the wind-screen that would not be fun for the drone, plane, and especially the pilots. Rapid decompression is scary and dangerous shit.

Drones are light-weight, but jets are moving 300mph+. Anything is going to hurt at those speeds. That's why bird-strikes and hailstones are such a problem. The bird and hailstones aren't that big of an issue until it becomes a 550 mph projectile.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Is it me or are people getting more stupid, who knows what would happen to a jet engine if a drone flew into it but I for one do not want to be on a plane if it happens maybe nothing or maybe something I ain't taking a chance.

12 minutes ago, Arokhantos said:

Wait a small drone ? or military grade drone aka big one? small drones should't even be able to fly up that high especially not the one's we all can get.

I agree,I also agree that if this is a mod someone may be killing their hobby.Perhaps just propaganda? Meh.

8 hours ago, patrick3027 said:

Source: http://www.inquisitr.com/2853561/paris-air-france-jet-narrowly-misses-collision-with-a-drone/

Damn that must be a nice drone, flying at 5,500ft

I doubt there are many drones that can fly that high at stock. More than likely, someone upped the motors, props and probably batteries as well.

where C rating is the discharge rate, and AHs is capacity;

A 100C battery @ 5.0 AHs = 500 amps.

500 amps x 11.1 (for a 3 cell LiPo pack) = 5550 watts continuous output or ~ 7 horsepower.

3 cell packs are popular, and for larger models, there are probably more connected in parallel for multiplied amperage and capacity. High powered brushless motors and speed controllers are expensive, though very readily available, so even the strictest regulation will only kill off the stock models.

edit: Realistically, a quadcopter would not use it's full output on a constant basis for battery life reasons, and heat. Also not I didn't even touch on powertrain/motor specs such as KV or gearing. In addition there are battery packs with more cells in series for more voltage, or batteries may be connected in series instead of parallel (2x8S packs = 59.2 volts).

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…