Are Mac computers really that bad?

Trav_X
22 hours ago, NickTheMajin said:

I'd like to see someone show me another laptop with 10 hour battery life, metal construction and PCIE SSDs for signfiicantly less. 

A dell xps will save you $300

2 hours ago, zachmullin said:

A dell xps will save you $300

That one has a 1920x1080 screen and a non PCIE SSD. 

In order to bump the screen to 3200x1800 you have to spend $300 and to get the PCIE SSD you have to bump an additional $100 putting it at $1400 while the Macbook Pro 13 is $1300. 

Keep in mind, I'm not saying the Macbook is the be all end all device because its not. But that its idiotic to say its overpriced when anything comparable is the same price or higher. 

3 hours ago, branden_lucero said:

no. they are actually superb production machines, especially when it comes to music creation, DJing, or any form of in-house production. 

they are just... fuckin' expensive and very proprietary. 

This shit I don't get. They're aren't proprietary. Every port on a macbook can be found on Windows machines. I can take a $5 logitech mouse and plug it into my macbook. I'm looking at my Macbook Pro right now and there is not a single port on it that's proprietary. Hell if anything Apple is going away from proprietary by putting a universal port like USB C as the charging port for the Macbook instead of the magsafe chargers they use in their other machines. 

I don't hate apple. They are a Pro-consumer grade laptop which is good because consumer grade laptops of all brands are all crap.

They have a nice touchpad unlike Professional grade laptops like the Thinkpad or Elitebook.

The reason why I feel that apple laptops are so popular is not because they are better than all the Pro-consumer grade laptops, but people know and trust Macbooks, frankly they look pretty too unlike the Dell XPS, HP Probooks and entry level Lenovo Thinkpads since they are more aimed at Businesses.

I am only calling them Pro-consumer grade laptops because they are so hard to upgrade and repair.

I love OSX, I love macbooks, I love the design and idea of the iMac and Mac Mini etc

Really for most the downside for Apple is software compatibility (mostly gamers), lack of upgradability (pc enthusiasts) and price to performance (everyone)

Outside of those factors macs are good computers, well built, reliable, fast, really nice OS etc

I still think the 13/15" retina macbooks are great value machines

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

3 hours ago, zachmullin said:

I agree.  Especially when you need to spend +$2500 for a computer with discrete graphics.  Every single one of their computers under $2500 uses integrated graphics.  If they are claiming that their machines are good for content creation, I would like the people at Apple to try using Premiere with integrated graphics .  Spoiler Alert, it sucks balls.  

They do have intel iris 6100 though which is perfectly fine for editing

i have edited plenty of video on premier on a 13" retina and Final cut works even nicer

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I've had a PowerMac G5, and on school we use iMacs

The G5 was a pleasure to use, even tho it was old it was pretty damn fast, at it's time it would be somewhat worth it's money, buy right now....

Our school has iMac late 2015 models, they have quite a slow core i7, which thermal throttles all the time.

It also only has 4gb of ram, I'm just asking myself "how the hell is this machine worth 2 grand?"

A PC with that hardware would cost like half of that (including keyboard, mouse, monitor and speakers).

This is what scares people away from Macs. I myself really like the old macs and would love to have one again. My G5 died on me unfortunately and miss it, but the new macs just don't seem worth the money in my opinion.

The Macbook Retina, the one with just a single USB-C port is just a giant failure, and the iMacs keep throttling rendering them useless for anything that requires lots of CPU horsepower.

But it's all up to personal preference. Most will buy a Mac simply because of the Apple logo, "it's made by Apple, thus that means it's instantly better than anything else", others will buy it for a legitimate reason.

On 3/2/2016 at 7:09 AM, Orangeator said:

Price to performance ratio is almost non-comparable to PC's.

Their laptops are competitively priced for the kind of quality you get out of it

Not a single other laptops have comparable battery life, longevity, build quality and trackpad as macs does

Last I checked, OSX wasn't a computer.

The only argument that Mac fans ever have is 'ZOMG OSX, ZOMG THIS PROPRIETARY PROGRAMMAND THAT ONE...'.

The only thing that keeps Macs alive is their lack of open source. If all those programme were available on PCs, Macs would die.

Linus is my fetish.

On 3/2/2016 at 3:33 AM, Riki the Legendary Heropon said:

Mac's absolutely repulse me for three hreasons:

1. Paying for hardware I could get much cheaper somewhere else: (this one is self-explanatory)

2. Their OS is complete garbage: It's a very confusing OS to learn, and it just pretty much messed up

3. Hardly any third-party support: Mac's mostly use programs developed by Apple. On Windows there are much more programs I could freely use.

BONUS: Apple, stop trying to convince me with your thin pretty Macbook Air crap.

I woud say more but I could go on for hours about how terrible Macs are. 

On 3/2/2016 at 3:45 AM, Riki the Legendary Heropon said:

I'll admit, there are some third party programs for Macs but the list on Windows is much larger. I still think my other points are valid though.

On 3/2/2016 at 3:08 AM, Trav_X said:

<OP snip>

Have you actually used something like a Macbook pro as a daily driver for longer than a week?

I was completely new to OSX three years ago, and I got one for work (web development, back then it was much easier to set up a LAMP server on OSX than it is on Windows)

Took me all of a week of actually using the thing to learn the OS inside out. Coming from never even seen the OS before.

If you have any ounce of a brain, you can figure it out.

I've met many people who are the same was about Windows.

They've only ever used a Mac, and thing Windows is hard to learn.

It's all about what you already know, and what you're willing to learn.

A note about Apple Prices:

Yes, they're typically more expensive than a same-spec windows machine.

However, they're also much higher quality, they feel and look nicer when you're using them. They don't get as hot, or as loud as a none-macbook equivalent.

Oh yeah, and Macbooks actually have a battery life more than 2 hours of full use. (Often will last the entire work day without needing to be plugged in).

So while you pay more for a macbook, you get more. It's not all about the raw numbers sometimes.

I'm back on a windows laptop for work at the moment, but I would actually prefer a macbook to work from. 

I'm by no means a fanboy of either OS, OSX, Windows or Linux.

I use them all,

they all have their place.

The only reason why someone hates a given OS with a passion is because they haven't used it for long enough to get to know it in the same capacity as their current OS.

"some third part programs for macs"

when you say there are more for windows, you're right.

But other than games and Access (office application)

There aren't any programs on Windows (that are actually useful) that you can't get on OSX. (Or an (often better) alternative program).

If you use a Macbook as your daily driver for 8 hours a day for a year, you will have changed your mind and not been so anti-OSX/Apple.

They're actually not that bad for all the shit the /PCMR gives them.

On 3/2/2016 at 7:33 AM, Riki the Legendary Heropon said:

Mac's absolutely repulse me for three hreasons:

1. Paying for hardware I could get much cheaper somewhere else: (this one is self-explanatory)

2. Their OS is complete garbage: It's a very confusing OS to learn, and it just pretty much messed up

3. Hardly any third-party support: Mac's mostly use programs developed by Apple. On Windows there are much more programs I could freely use.

BONUS: Apple, stop trying to convince me with your thin pretty Macbook Air crap.

I woud say more but I could go on for hours about how terrible Macs are. 

Wow that's just downright wrong

1) Their laptops are competitively priced for the quality you get. The only way to get cheaper hardware is to buy those laptops below $1000 claiming to be the fastest when it turns out to be the most shittiest laptop

2) That's your experience and most people don't have any problem with it. If you had started using Mac and thens switched to Windows, windows would seem messed up

3) You've got kidding me about that

You wanna know why Mac laptops are great

1) Battery Life (9-12+ hours)

2) Best Trackpads

3) Great looks and build quality

4) Pretty fast PCIe based storage on all models

5) Longevity

6) Resale value (if you're into it which I'm not)

Show me a Windows laptop that encompases all these features (or some) at a lower price 

2 minutes ago, OPSJono said:

Have you actually used something like a Macbook pro as a daily driver for longer than a week?

I was completely new to OSX three years ago, and I got one for work (web development, back then it was much easier to set up a LAMP server on OSX than it is on Windows)

Took me all of a week of actually using the thing to learn the OS inside out. Coming from never even seen the OS before.

If you have any ounce of a brain, you can figure it out.

I've met many people who are the same was about Windows.

They've only ever used a Mac, and thing Windows is hard to learn.

It's all about what you already know, and what you're willing to learn.

A note about Apple Prices:

Yes, they're typically more expensive than a same-spec windows machine.

However, they're also much higher quality, they feel and look nicer when you're using them. They don't get as hot, or as loud as a none-macbook equivalent.

Oh yeah, and Macbooks actually have a battery life more than 2 hours of full use. (Often will last the entire work day without needing to be plugged in).

So while you pay more for a macbook, you get more. It's not all about the raw numbers sometimes.

I'm back on a windows laptop for work at the moment, but I would actually prefer a macbook to work from. 

I'm by no means a fanboy of either OS, OSX, Windows or Linux.

I use them all,

they all have their place.

The only reason why someone hates a given OS with a passion is because they haven't used it for long enough to get to know it in the same capacity as their current OS.

"some third part programs for macs"

when you say there are more for windows, you're right.

But other than games and Access (office application)

There aren't any programs on Windows (that are actually useful) that you can't get on OSX. (Or an (often better) alternative program).

If you use a Macbook as your daily driver for 8 hours a day for a year, you will have changed your mind and not been so anti-OSX/Apple.

They're actually not that bad for all the shit the /PCMR gives them.

1 minute ago, RedRound2 said:

1) Their laptops are competitively priced for the quality you get. The only way to get cheaper hardware is to buy those laptops below $1000 claiming to be the fastest when it turns out to be the most shittiest laptop

2) That's your experience and most people don't have any problem with it. If you had started using Mac and thens switched to Windows windows would seem messed up

2) Best Trackpads

5) Longevity

Show me a Windows laptop that encompases all these features (or some) at a lower price 

^ What this guy says.

Read my comment, followed by this one, and that sums everything up really.

Imo mac are not bad machine , but they are overpriced in most case.

I wish i could oc my body, during winter overheating would be great.

4 minutes ago, Atsura said:

Imo mac are not bad machine , but they are overpriced in most case.

20 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

2) That's your experience and most people don't have any problem with it. If you had started using Mac and thens switched to Windows, windows would seem messed up

2) Best Trackpads

5) Longevity

Do you even read other comments

Please justify your statements. Anyone can claim anything

On 3/2/2016 at 1:25 PM, PCgamer324 said:

I have 10 systems (mostly linux) and I love my macbook for systems administration / programming.  

Why?

1. I'm a CPU poweruser.  Macbook Pro's have competitive CPU's that don't throttle like the older models did.

2. I hate plastic laptops.  Laptops run hot. Plastic degrades under heat.  I don't want to spend 2k on something that will crack and peal in 2 years.  (I'm looking at you G@m3r laptops)

3. My battery won't die in 4 hours.  

4. If OSX can't get the job done, multiboot will

Pst, my HP Pavilion is a typical HP laptop and gets really hot under load. Its now been 6 years since it was purchased and its still good as new.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, RedRound2 said:

Do you even read other comments

Please justify your statements. Anyone can claim anything

Do you even think before doing comments ?

Is mac only about laptops ?

Take a simple Imac 27"

That machine as only 2 values

- the monitor is isanely good.

- The machine itself is compact

But for the performance you get , it's way too overpriced.

For the laptops now you say.

2) Best Trackpads

5) Longevity

1) not only mac can do it just depend of the pc you buy and performance you aim for.

3) is subjective , it's your point and build quality as to include the hardware quality too.

4) even cheaper laptops can use pci-e based storage , it's nothing that special

5) again subjective since they are many exemple of computer with long life

Wich leave you to :2 and 6 and imo 6 is because people are stupid enought to buy a old computer just because it's a mac..

So yeah , imo it's not bad machines, they are good but they are overpriced for what they offer.

The only case imo Mac computer are pretty good choice , is for pro user that need a good monitor.

And last : as you said anyone cam claim anything this is why your post isn't any closer to the truth than mine , it's called an opinion because every customer have their own idea about a good pc it can be : design , silence , performance , size , reliability ect.

This is all about what you are willing to pay for some aspect of your computer.

I wish i could oc my body, during winter overheating would be great.

I bought a 2015 Mac Mini, basic specs are in my signature for £349, it's hooked up to a 24inch 1080p monitor, and used for everything from daily duties, to encoding 1080p 60fps video, for the price point, it is a silent dependable workhorse, and brilliant for families on a budget, as the computer can be locked in a drawer, and the keyboard and mouse connected via Bluetooth.  This means the parents can have one set for themselves, and the children another set.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

I own both a mac book and a pc along with a dell. I use my mac for light day to day opperations such as google chrome and checking in on work. If i am doing anything work related it is all on the pc .

I've only recently experienced the Mac camp and I'm so far loving it.
For 12 or so years I've been a PC Elitest, mostly from being a PC gamer but I decided to try
the darkside when moving into more of a Linux sysadmin in my job.

Having a native terminal, with SSH baked in was the start. Now that I use a Macbook Pro retina 13 inch as a daily
driver, I wouldn't want to go back to windows. I'll still of course use windows for my gaming, and I'm not sure I could
quite justify actually buying my OWN mac (they are stupidly overpriced), but they're certainly not the garbage people claim them to be.

I can't understand how someone could not fall in love with the macbook's touchpad/gestures.

CPU: i5-6600k GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980Ti Ram: 16GB DDR4 SSD: Samsung 950Pro 512gb m.2

They're not bad if priced appropriately. A good example is why would you pay $3000 for a toaster?

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

7 hours ago, NickTheMajin said:

This shit I don't get. They're aren't proprietary. Every port on a macbook can be found on Windows machines. I can take a $5 logitech mouse and plug it into my macbook. I'm looking at my Macbook Pro right now and there is not a single port on it that's proprietary. Hell if anything Apple is going away from proprietary by putting a universal port like USB C as the charging port for the Macbook instead of the magsafe chargers they use in their other machines. 

Agreed. MacBook pros and the like actually have an extremely nice port selection. People argue the proprietary argument quite often, and it's simply not true. I'm glad that other people are starting to get this though. The misconception for many non-technical users is that this "USB-C" on the MacBook is just apples new proprietary connector for them to make more money. Yes, you need Apple adapters, but plenty of other systems come with the same connector.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

3 hours ago, twisties said:

I've only recently experienced the Mac camp and I'm so far loving it.
For 12 or so years I've been a PC Elitest, mostly from being a PC gamer but I decided to try
the darkside when moving into more of a Linux sysadmin in my job.

Having a native terminal, with SSH baked in was the start. Now that I use a Macbook Pro retina 13 inch as a daily
driver, I wouldn't want to go back to windows. I'll still of course use windows for my gaming, and I'm not sure I could
quite justify actually buying my OWN mac (they are stupidly overpriced), but they're certainly not the garbage people claim them to be.

I can't understand how someone could not fall in love with the macbook's touchpad/gestures.

I agree with this. They are nice systems indeed. The people who hate on them are blinded by the price that they don't necessarily look at all the features. Yes, they are somewhat overpriced. But you're paying for the OSX experience, and the functionality of a system that also has outstanding aesthetics. If people did a test run with a Mac or just tried it out, I feel more experienced people would start purchasing them themselves.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

53 minutes ago, Lethal Seraph said:

They're not bad if priced appropriately. A good example is why would you pay $3000 for a toaster?

I'd pay that for a nice set of toasters. The ones that can toast 4 at a time? The ones with stoves on them? HOT DAMN!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

No. Depends on the Task. There some Industries that use Mac alot.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

In my opinion Mac takes tasks that were already easy on a PC and tries to make them easier(and it works for people who don't know how to use a PC) by removing settings and options that a user could tamper with to make something not work, but by doing so they make the task ignorant and complicated for someone who already knew how to do it correctly and may want access to all the settings.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -