Are Mac computers really that bad?

Trav_X
5 hours ago, Atsura said:

Snip

I specifically said laptops

Even the 27" is a objectively good computer especially the 5K version in terms of price too. Sure you can get a computer with better specs but its only comparable if the computer you get is completely equal or exceeds the iMac in all fields which not a single one ever will

1) No, battery is again objectively better. Just look at any reviewers who have also used a Mac a lot. In fact most of those reviewers use the mac as their daily drivers

3) Build quality is again a widely acclaimed feature. A full metal casing is again objectively better than a plastic shell that breaks over time

4) Most cheaper laptops use HDD or SATA SSD. Its only the $1000+ range you start finding PCIe based only to realize its always the slower version (ex: XPS 13 with 256GB). Macs have always had insanely fast storage

PS: Dont bother finding me some random $500 on amazon with PCIe SSD because you and I know its sucks 

5) WIndows Laptops, definitely not. Most of them literally turns into a piece of shit after 2 years bloated. maybe the expensive ones you buy today might be last but certainly not it was two years ago. My 2010 MacBook is still going strong with at least 6 hour battery with only upgrades being SSD

6) Well people do buy because it lasts long as with all apple devices including phones and tablets

My claims have a reason and I consider my reason vaid as I'm not the only one who thinks so

Are they expensive, yes but far from overpriced only considering the longetivity

I have used various Apple products over the years, and my reaction each time as been "people think these are good?".

They are like one step up from Vtech for kids computers ;)

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

37 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

I specifically said laptops blablabla..

The whole post is saying mac computer i don't care about you especially said, you are not the center of the world.

Build quality isn't only about case , all the component inside are part of the build again ,so again= subjective,

I put performance before design and the performance are bad for the price you pay. 

This is why i start with imo => in MY opinion

And MY opinion about buying a machine is :

Performance comes first

Noise comes second

Then come the price

=> trying to have the maxmimum performance with the less possible noise for a fair price.

but you seems to be a closed mind so i will tell you, you spend your money how you want to, it's yours but my time is mine.

And i won't be wasting my time on claims that have already been proven many times about apple. => they are about everything but performance.

Strangely you are claiming mac are good for the price. But you are using a custom pc with specs on your profile.

I guess everything is said have  a nice day.

I wish i could oc my body, during winter overheating would be great.

I will take building and tourbleshooting and RMAing over going to an apple store and being talked to like im some idiot by an actually idiot.

I hate Macbooks. They're not the thinnest, nor the fastest, nor the lightest. They throttle, they are overpriced, I don't like the keyboards, I don't like that there's 1 port on the new $1300 Macbook, to me they're useless.

When I used my friend's Macbook (last year, the new OSX might have this) I couldn't even drag and drop an executable from the file explorer to the desktop. I ended up going through the process of making a shortcut, navigating back to the executable, then being able to run it from the shortcut. What a hassle.

I don't find the UI intuitive, nor easy to use (especially compared to Windows.) But that's just my opinion.

I used to be quite active here.

2 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

In my opinion Mac takes tasks that were already easy on a PC and tries to make them easier(and it works for people who don't know how to use a PC) by removing settings and options that a users could tamper with to make something not work, but by doing so they make the task ignorant and complicated for someone who already knew how to do it correctly and may want access to all the settings.

This may be the very best description of OSX I've ever read. Props to you, sir.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

41 minutes ago, jackm1120 said:

I will take building and tourbleshooting and RMAing over going to an apple store and being talked to like im some idiot by an actually idiot.

Love it whenever I see jokes about people making fun of the fact that it's called the "Genius" Bar. Gets me every time xD 

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

So, conclusion:

- MacBooks seem good, given that overall most notebooks suck;

- For a desktop*, an iMac is a pretty bad option given its lack of ports, driver compatibility and constant thermal throttling, aside from upgradability.

*would that be the correct term here?

Mah rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 with its stock Wraith Spire RGB cooler

GPU: Gigabyte Mini ITX GTX 1070 OC Edition

MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-D3H motherboard

Storage:

• 1x 120GB Samsung SSD(Windows + some programs)
  • 1x 1TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda HDD(Windows storage)
  • 1x 160GB Samsung HDD(Archlinux)

Case: Orange Cougar Challenger

PSU: PCYes! Electro 600W

Speaking of macs, might be buying one tonight. Only it won't be a mac after I'm done with it... ^_^

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

They are NOT bad, but they are expensive for what they are. Their desktops have top of the line i5s and i7s, but have week GPUs, and their laptops have dual core CPUs with just their integrated graphics, with the exception of the 15'' MacBook Pro, and they also have some of the best displays on the market. 

If what you want is to play games or have the most powerful GPU money can buy, then you should get a PC. For anything else, I'd recommend a Mac for their general system stability and legendary customer service. 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

I think there hardware is generally pretty poor tho, they seem to be 2 steps behind everyone.  When u go to their site to customize a laptop, u can choose i7 @ 2.5Ghz or an i7 @ 2.7Ghz...........WHAT I7 ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!?!?! for all i know it could be an 1st gen i7 840qm, I know its not but WTF.  Clearly there are too many people who have far too much trust in apple.

4 hours ago, Atsura said:

The whole post is saying mac computer i don't care about you especially said, you are not the center of the world.

Build quality isn't only about case , all the component inside are part of the build again ,so again= subjective,

I put performance before design and the performance are bad for the price you pay. 

This is why i start with imo => in MY opinion

And MY opinion about buying a machine is :

Performance comes first

Noise comes second

Then come the price

=> trying to have the maxmimum performance with the less possible noise for a fair price.

but you seems to be a closed mind so i will tell you, you spend your money how you want to, it's yours but my time is mine.

And i won't be wasting my time on claims that have already been proven many times about apple. => they are about everything but performance.

Strangely you are claiming mac are good for the price. But you are using a custom pc with specs on your profile.

I guess everything is said have  a nice day.

Well you just generalized very poorly and I wanted to take out the misconception you were spreading

Generally build quality is about the outer casing and you're probably the first one I'm hearing the specs and build quality are same thing

If you want to objectively compare anything then you don't present apple products are overpriced argument as that basically a statement a fanboy would scream out

As I said in the previous post you should justify your reasoning otherwise there'll be a misunderstanding for the OP

Not everyone wants the best performing PC as a laptop since 90% usage is probably surfing the internet

Had you stated the you'd like performance first I wouldn't have bothered replying to you, but you didn't and simply went and established that macs are overpriced

Apple doesn't make gaming computers and I wanted to build my own because i was into computers if you couldn't deduce that from my existence on this forum. But I do however have a 2010 white MacBook and it has been the best laptop I've ever owned in past 10-15 years (all of them windows based)

9 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Apple doesn't make gaming computers and I wanted to build my own because i was into computers if you couldn't deduct that from my existence on this forum. But I do however have a 2010 white MacBook and it has been the best laptop I've ever owned in past 10-15 years (all of them windows based)

That I can understand quite well, its a similar deal for me with my 2010 HP Pavilion, though it will always be second best to my old Presario R3000-excellent build quality, excellent sound system, excellent screen (for 2003 anyway), excellent keyboard, excellent track pad and dead silent with its heatsinks cleaned-then again it was a $2000 laptop so anything less would have been a rip off. I'm not mentioning graphics as it was hopeless with anything newer and more graphically demanding than BF1942 at minimum (again, something that is mirrored with modern macs, good at everything that isn't gaming).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On 3/2/2016 at 2:33 PM, Riki the Legendary Heropon said:

Mac's absolutely repulse me for three hreasons:

1. Paying for hardware I could get much cheaper somewhere else: (this one is self-explanatory)

2. Their OS is complete garbage: It's a very confusing OS to learn, and it just pretty much messed up

3. Hardly any third-party support: Mac's mostly use programs developed by Apple. On Windows there are much more programs I could freely use.

BONUS: Apple, stop trying to convince me with your thin pretty Macbook Air crap.

I woud say more but I could go on for hours about how terrible Macs are. 

All of this is an opinion and not fact at all.

1. Have fun sourcing an aluminium laptop that is typically thin and light that houses components similar spec.

2. The OS is UNIX based, which is still used to this day and has a lot of superior features. Want to mount an external storage drive in the same file system and NOT worry about drive letters? Sure thing, we have a command line applet for that. UNIX OS' can handle higher loads and have better hardware resourcing (i.e. get the most out of your hardware).

The OS is changeable, you can still install windows on an Apple device, hell there's even a built in program to help the ignorant people that don't know how to UNIX.

3. This is also incredibly wrong, there are plenty of support for MAC OS, sure you will find a lot of games are Windows only etc. but this was only due to DirectX, now that there are new competitors (see METAL/Vulkan) this will soon change. 

BONUS: MBA is an awesome machine for the purpose it's built for. Want battery, a good screen and not fill up your carry-on (for planes) with a laptop? Sure thing. have fun bringing your super gaymen MSI laptop on with you and being able to bring a change of clothes... not gonna happen.

ITT: Ignorant Windows fags that will never see other perspectives or will accept the fact that they are just consumers and not really tech enthusiasts. GG

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

14 hours ago, NickTheMajin said:

This shit I don't get. They're aren't proprietary. Every port on a macbook can be found on Windows machines. I can take a $5 logitech mouse and plug it into my macbook. I'm looking at my Macbook Pro right now and there is not a single port on it that's proprietary. Hell if anything Apple is going away from proprietary by putting a universal port like USB C as the charging port for the Macbook instead of the magsafe chargers they use in their other machines. 

They're extremely proprietary because:

1) Apple approved software

2) OSX is completely proprietary

3) Apple only lets you do what apple wants you to do.

Honestly it's all of apple's software that makes it proprietary and tbh even the content creation software that everyone raves about isn't very good. I mean photoshop on a mac is almost identical to photoshop on a pc. The defaut apps (while better than the windows alternatives) still aren't great. If apple was completely proprietary for hardware the macbook would be completely worthless.

4 minutes ago, Dyelon21 said:

Honestly it's all of apple's software that makes it proprietary and tbh even the content creation software that everyone raves about isn't very good. I mean photoshop on a mac is almost identical to photoshop on a pc. The defaut apps (while better than the windows alternatives) still aren't great. If apple was completely proprietary for hardware the macbook would be completely worthless.

So much ignorance its unbelievable. 

Mac OSX is not iOS. You can install non "apple approved  applications". A developer does not have to get their application approved by anyone. 

I can do whatever the fuck I want on my Mac. 

1 minute ago, NickTheMajin said:

So much ignorance its unbelievable. 

Mac OSX is not iOS. You can install non "apple approved  applications". A developer does not have to get their application approved by anyone. 

I never said you can't install approved software. I'm saying you can't remove the apple included software. I have a macbook and the only OS on it is Arch. OSX is a joke if you want to do more than basic content creation and browse the internet. Programming in OSX is agonizing, gaming on OSX is even worse, and the construction of the os (which is quite poor) cannot be edited or changed without 3rd party programs.

On 3/2/2016 at 8:08 PM, Trav_X said:

image.jpeg

lol that picture is actually great.  It took someone, or a group of people a broad range of experiences and a great force of will and lack of bias to make this.  We should praise it :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Holy balls, what's that last one? I want that on my desk at work for breakfast!!

CPU: i5-6600k GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980Ti Ram: 16GB DDR4 SSD: Samsung 950Pro 512gb m.2

2 hours ago, Dyelon21 said:

Not even true at all, ever heard of a Hackintosh? OSX is not proprietary. 

As well, there is so much more you can do than besides "What Apple wants". That's why they make Mac support for games and programs, so you can use them on Apple devices instead of just Apple's own things. BootCamp solves the problem of compatibility as well. Even then, you can still get around Apple "filters". Macs are in no way proprietary. Their ports can be used by basically anything.

macs are aesthetically pleasing, expensive, and user friendly laptops with a "somewhat exclusive" OS, but are in no way very proprietary.

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

lol that picture is actually great.  It took someone, or a group of people a broad range of experiences and a great force of will and lack of bias to make this.  We should praise it :D

Ikr, I Googled something like "Mac vs Windows memes" and it was one of the first. It's hilarity, truth, and aesthetics made me need to include it in the thread.

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

13 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

Not even true at all, ever heard of a Hackintosh? OSX is not proprietary. 

As well, there is so much more you can do than besides "What Apple wants". That's why they make Mac support for games and programs, so you can use them on Apple devices instead of just Apple's own things. BootCamp solves the problem of compatibility as well. Even then, you can still get around Apple "filters". Macs are in no way proprietary. Their ports can be used by basically anything.

macs are aesthetically pleasing, expensive, and user friendly laptops with a "somewhat exclusive" OS, but are in no way very proprietary.

The fact that it's called "Hackinstosh" it exactly the reason it's proprietary and works on very few components. The only reason it can be used on other components because we have awesome developers who work to the bone to keep it working fluidly, but even they can't make it work for all components like windows and linux does. 

EDIT: Also, it's not that Mac computers are completely proprietary, just large parts of them are. OSX isn't completely proprietary but almost every program and the setup of the os is.

Edited by Dyelon21
adding info

On 3/2/2016 at 2:53 AM, manikyath said:

the apps are basicly like this: whats the market share? thats roughly the market share of apps that bother. and apple targets those people who use the apps available for their platform. never saw apple targetting gamers did you? :P

Here you have it.

I personally love the used macs I have gotten but would never pay the outrageous price for one.

3 hours ago, Dyelon21 said:

I never said you can't install approved software. I'm saying you can't remove the apple included software. I have a macbook and the only OS on it is Arch. OSX is a joke if you want to do more than basic content creation and browse the internet. Programming in OSX is agonizing, gaming on OSX is even worse, and the construction of the os (which is quite poor) cannot be edited or changed without 3rd party programs.

I could think of a bunch of ways Linux sucks too:

Every distro has somebody monkeying with the code breaking stuff.

You often cant compile because of some outdated or mismatched library component.

Non Intuitive multi tiered menu hierarchy

If you use CLI also  non intuitive folder hierarchy

Broken wifi drivers that use ancient Broadcomm drivers as base, or Railink crap when 99 percent of wifi  hardware is broadcomm based.

Shit indie games for the most part, indie sucks, so same as OSX for most part.

Stupid, junky Unity