Are Mac computers really that bad?

Trav_X

I have a 5+ yr old macbook pro that has seen pretty heavy use and is still in great shape. I bought the moderately upgraded model at the time of purchase, no Applecare protection plan BS they push on you. All in it was a little over 1k, which I had to pay off in installments. What a great investment though-- granted my PC laptop (which is made of plastic) also still works and is from even earlier (!) but the fact is it functions more like a 90 year old human still technically functions. The Mac, however, still is snappy and runs modern applications. I get work done on it to this day.

Macs are work-horses! If you're respectful of the computers they'll last forever, like old timey cars. There's lots to dislike, but these days browsing the web, word processing, videos... really it hardly matters what type of computer you use newayz. If you have the $$$ or if you don't have much $$$ and you think you can trust yourself not to get the thing stolen, a Mac is a good option.

In my opinion no they are not bad. It comes down to what product the consumer is looking for. I know a few people who own MAC's and they stand by their computers. Apple has always been about the design of products, where in the PC realm thats not always the case. You may see more on the performance and pricing rather than design. MAC OS offers a difference experience. I can tell you as a long time Windows user I get confused when I have to use the MAC. I remember in a Photoshop course I took a community college, I had to use a MAC. It was a pain. However there are those who feel its a better platform. I can tell you running Adobe CS3 seemed to work better on the MAC then on the PC at the time. 

My issue with Apple is they put design above performance. Linus has had videos where he showed the Mac book thermal throttling due to their not being an active cooling solution. Also, Apple doesn't seem to give a damn about the gaming scene. Granted their are games for MAC's but the library is still lower than the amount you can find for Windows. I have held Mac books and Mac book pro's at Best Buy, they seem to be constructed well. However Apple's price to performance is just shit. 

Chris Pirillio said it best. Its about the experience. If you feel that an Apple product gives you a better experience then good for you. Then thats the platform you invest in. Ive been using Windows since 3.11 and DOS, so Im heavily invested in the platform. Id honestly like to learn MAC OS, but the pricing just isnt their as far as their machines are concerned. It really depends on what you are looking for. If Apple offers what you need then go with them, If a PC with Windows offers it then go with that, or if a PC with Linux offers what you need then you go with that. Simple as that. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Ive been rocking a 2015 MBPro for about half of a year now and its really nice. I made the transition from an Asus laptop. The only major drawback I have experienced is support for some of the games i like, and the fans that sound like a jet on takeoff under pretty heavy load. Build quality is definitely a plus as it has been my daily driver since school started back in August and the only damage has been some minor scratches and scuffs even after my absent mind has dropped it more than a few times. Price is a big downfall though 3k for an i7 at 2.8ghz 16 gb of ram and an R9 370x 2gb. OSX has been a nice experience though as i took u some of the ins and outs and shortcuts very quick I had no trouble switching from windows 10. Overall if you are willing to deal with price they are a nice choice.

The Real Guy. The Best Guy.

I have OS X running on my custom built pc (Not primary OS), it took a bit of work to  get installed (without a mac to format a usb flashdrive, a hardrive image of a os x 86 cloned to a spare drive does the trick to make a bootable usb without a mac, ps transmac doesnt work and will just cause headache). OS X is a very nice looking OS, web browsing with a magic mouse is just awsome (only got a magic mouse for the full mac experience, its complete crap for gaming). However other than that and being able to use Logic, I f find myself booting to Windows constantly for everything else. You can tweak Windows games to run in OS X, but its not straight forward and you need to repeat the process for every windows only game that you want to run on OS X.

On March 4, 2016 at 2:48 AM, dirtjumper said:

Biggest problem I have with Mac (or simply Apple in general) is the price point vs the value. I enjoy Apple software but it sucks to code for and unless you are really going to be editing or creating things with it, it just isn't all that worth it. It's not terrible as much as it is vastly over priced if you look at what you could get with a PC. My friend asked me to build him a PC to do video and music editing, and for the first time in my life I recommended that he should just get a Macbook. Apple has this strange fascination with closed systems that sell for insane prices because of the branding. 

TL:DR

Macs aren't "bad" but cost way too much for what they offer vs PC.

Another example on this thread of really the best description of a Mac vs PC perspective. Props to you, sir!

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

17 minutes ago, koplandr said:

I have OS X running on my custom built pc (Not primary OS), it took a bit of work to  get installed (without a mac to format a usb flashdrive, a hardrive image of a os x 86 cloned to a spare drive does the trick to make a bootable usb without a mac, ps transmac doesnt work and will just cause headache). OS X is a very nice looking OS, web browsing with a magic mouse is just awsome (only got a magic mouse for the full mac experience, its complete crap for gaming). However other than that and being able to use Logic, I f find myself booting to Windows constantly for everything else. You can tweak Windows games to run in OS X, but its not straight forward and you need to repeat the process for every windows only game that you want to run on OS X.

I might be looking to add OSX to my custom build, do you have any links to good boot links or like the files for OSX for USB booting? Like any specific tutorials or download sites for the best versions/etc for partitioned OSX? Just wondering if you know of the top of ur head where you got that stuff :D I don't have too much experience in separate OS partitioning 

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

On 3/4/2016 at 0:33 AM, Howiim16 said:

The only Good Linux distro is Mint Ubuntu sucks

There are a lot better distros then mint (Arch, Debian, Kali, Fedora to name a few). Also, Mint is Ubuntu based btw. So saying Mint is good, but Ubuntu sucks is kind of an oxymoron even though I understand what you're getting at. However rather than saying "Ubuntu sucks" I would just say "Unity sucks" because it kinda does lol.

My personal view: In an attempt of upgrading my old ass PC and trying to be platform agnostic along the way, I got a Mac. Since it was the most powerful computer I could find in my awesome awful country for less than US$700, and because I'm curious I decided to give them a go.

So far, they've been extremely helpful for my most of my workflow (basically lots of Photoshop, AutoCAD, SketchUp, VM's and light gaming). All the creative work I did was a bit more of a breeze on my Mac than on Windows, but IMO it's not worth the switch alone. Stuff like Alfred, TextExpander, Day One (which I use for my design process, nothing useful for most people) made me stay.

If you do tons of creative work, it's a match made in heaven. But, for most of the stuff people here do, like gaming, programming and other heavy tasks, you either get a sweet deal or pass. It's not a magical unicorn of a computer, but it's a very well though out experience.

The bad side is the fact that you probably might have to still use Windows apps. And that can go either of both ways: you Boot Camp or you VM. Boot Camp on older Macs is an absolute royal pain in the ass to get working without a DVD drive, and since I got mine swapped for my old mechanical HDD, basically I was rekt. VM's are fine unless you want something like simulation software running, which is always gonna run slower than if it was running on the host natively.

But, if you're willing to try a switch, you must do it with a clear mind, without any preconceptions. People say Macs as underpowered, overpriced, crap, but like anything in life, new things should be tried for what they are and not what the rest thinks. They're overpriced for 80% of use cases, but if you need a dependable machine that is well built and you don't want to think about it anymore, that has extra stuff like AppleCare and an ecosystem that works with it, then go ahead. But if you need the best bang for the buck (and you don't want to go used like me), build your own or get a laptop. They'll work either way.

For those wondering, the specs are:

• MacBook Pro (early-2011, 15")
  • Intel Core i7-2720QM 2.3GHz
  • 16GB RAM
  • AMD Radeon 6570M 1GB
  • Samsung 850 EVO 256GB + 750GB Hitachi HDD

I have a MacBook Pro, and a custom build PC. Price to performance ratio, PC outperforms MAC. However, MacBook Pro is a great machine, I cannot carry my custom build and MacBook Pro fills in well, better than any Windows laptop!

have 27" imac, macbook (both for the missus) and i have a thinkpad and a custom heavy hitter system for gaming and storage and last week i converted the imac (macbook was already done) to windows 7 on request from my better half.

they are good looking and very well build machines but they are simply not worth the price premium, especially when putting my own (cheaper) non-apple machines next to them. it is insane to buy a 3k machine with less then 1.2k worth of hardware inside, no matter your position on design.

People mostly hate Macs because of their price, and because of the specs inside. I am currently using an MacBook Air. It's not good for gaming, or anything demanding in fact. But the feel and quality of it is very nice. For example, the track pad is very smooth and responsive, better then most other laptops. There is also the people hate Macs because of there operating system. I'm one of those people, because there is not a lot of games, and useful software like AutoHotkey or Sony Vegas. People would be better off getting a cheap laptop, because there are a lot of laptops just like Macs that are thin and high quality feeling, but if you are looking in a desktop, building your own would be the best, or if you want it to be thin, then you can buy a cheap "All-In-One PC."

only opinionated 12 year olds will tell you macs suck.. same people that will also tell you only their brand of gpu is the best and anyone who buys the opposite should have been shot at birth...

macs are fantastic.. yes theyre expensive.. but you dont say Ferraris are shit because of that reason..

firstly their build quality is amazing.. like really really good. very well screwed together with no wobbles or squeaks and no useless gimmicks, its all function and form.

secondly ..yes they dont have 980tis or 980ms.. but its a whole different market.. you dont need that in a mac.. they arent designed for games.. theyre more for the creative type of person.. 

Osx is awesome.. its so well refined and optimised. everything is smooth and fast and feels like youre on an ssd even on a 5 year old machine.

if peoples only complaint here is price to performance then theyre the wrong customer in the 1st place.. you dont get a v12 engined car and then ask about fuel consumption.. i i recently switched from mac back to a windows laptop.. and its tough so far.. still havent sold the mac incase i go back.

you either buy a mac for a specific reason or you buy a mac because you want one.. the price isnt a factor.. (isnt with any pc component for me.. i buy what i want..)

plus a mac is a status symbol.. you show a mac to a thousand people and theyll all kno what it is.. show a generic square pc box or a black laptop and youll get a whole heap of answers..

i currently own a dell.. kind of ashamed lol.. the snob in me makes me feel like ive got a poor machine.. yes its not the best looking and well built machine.. but it has a i7 6700hq and a 960m lol.. does the job i guess.. 

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

6 minutes ago, Badger906 said:

only opinionated 12 year olds will tell you macs suck.. same people that will also tell you only their brand of gpu is the best and anyone who buys the opposite should have been shot at birth...

macs are fantastic.. yes theyre expensive.. but you dont say Ferraris are shit because of that reason..

firstly their build quality is amazing.. like really really good. very well screwed together with no wobbles or squeaks and no useless gimmicks, its all function and form.

secondly ..yes they dont have 980tis or 980ms.. but its a whole different market.. you dont need that in a mac.. they arent designed for games.. theyre more for the creative type of person.. 

Osx is awesome.. its so well refined and optimised. everything is smooth and fast and feels like youre on an ssd even on a 5 year old machine.

if peoples only complaint here is price to performance then theyre the wrong customer in the 1st place.. you dont get a v12 engined car and then ask about fuel consumption.. i i recently switched from mac back to a windows laptop.. and its tough so far.. still havent sold the mac incase i go back.

you either buy a mac for a specific reason or you buy a mac because you want one.. the price isnt a factor.. (isnt with any pc component for me.. i buy what i want..)

plus a mac is a status symbol.. you show a mac to a thousand people and theyll all kno what it is.. show a generic square pc box or a black laptop and youll get a whole heap of answers..

i currently own a dell.. kind of ashamed lol.. the snob in me makes me feel like ive got a poor machine.. yes its not the best looking and well built machine.. but it has a i7 6700hq and a 960m lol.. does the job i guess.. 

Apple: making technology a status and fashion symbol since the first Macintosh.

Look, my $2K laptop back in 2004 was more of a status symbol than any Apple computer. It was better in comparison to Apple computers of the same age, even newer ones and ones at the same price point or higher due to:

• Better asthetics
  • Better screen
  • Better processor
  • Better build quality
  • Better sound system
  • Being lighter than most laptops of the time for the specs
  • Far wider range of I/O
  • Excellent cooling system that could cool a Pentium 4 HT 3.2GHz silently
  • More memory

The only downside was the HDD, those old Seagate 2.5" drives are weaker when powered off than a newer Samsung pata 2.5" when its operating and copying files.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

People keep forgetting about this thing called "optimization". A Mac doesn't need the latest and greatest hardware because the software that runs it knows how to make use of the full potential of the system. That's why AMD's Bulldozer architecture didn't work, Windows didn't know how to use it correctly. That's why using a Mac is a seamless butter smooth experience (if it isn't my Mac, that is).

My MacBook Pro is an Early 2009 17" affair with the 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo T9550, 4GB of Ram and a 640GB HDD. It was used in a recording studio for the first part of its life and then it fell into my hands. I have beaten and abused it and it just keeps going and going and going. It's been overheated, dropped, used days on end, only half the speakers work and it struggles with anything outside of web browsing because of how used up it is. But, you know what, I can trust it. I can grab it and it'll boot up every time. It'll work and do what I want every time. It still looks beautiful. The screen still looks beautiful. And I still get 4 hours of battery-life, even though I have a "service battery" warning. As far as I'm concerned, even though I'm a heavy power user, I'd absolutely buy another MacBook Pro. 

PC Fleet:

Athena: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.8GHz/MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon/16 GB RAM/ASUS Strix Geforce GTX 1070/Corsair HX850i PSU/1.85 TB Total Storage Space/NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/Windows 10

Solindra: Parted out/given away

Hot-Box HTPC: Intel Core i5-4690k @ 3.5GHz/MSI Z97 Gaming 5/16 GB RAM/1TB HDD/Geforce GTX 980/EVGA 500W PSU/Silverstone Grandia GD09B/Windows 10

1 hour ago, redrobin said:

People keep forgetting about this thing called "optimization". A Mac doesn't need the latest and greatest hardware because the software that runs it knows how to make use of the full potential of the system. That's why AMD's Bulldozer architecture didn't work, Windows didn't know how to use it correctly. That's why using a Mac is a seamless butter smooth experience (if it isn't my Mac, that is).

My MacBook Pro is an Early 2009 17" affair with the 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo T9550, 4GB of Ram and a 640GB HDD. It was used in a recording studio for the first part of its life and then it fell into my hands. I have beaten and abused it and it just keeps going and going and going. It's been overheated, dropped, used days on end, only half the speakers work and it struggles with anything outside of web browsing because of how used up it is. But, you know what, I can trust it. I can grab it and it'll boot up every time. It'll work and do what I want every time. It still looks beautiful. The screen still looks beautiful. And I still get 4 hours of battery-life, even though I have a "service battery" warning. As far as I'm concerned, even though I'm a heavy power user, I'd absolutely buy another MacBook Pro. 

I do have to give props to apple for the longevity of their products. My iPhone 4 lasted me like 4-5 years, since like 2011. My sisters MacBook Pro is going super strong without many scuffs, damages, and only a hard drive change cause hers was so full and she just copied everything over and got a new one. Hers is already like 3-4 years old now. I still have an iPad 1, no camera, no Siri, and stuck at iOS 5.1.2 because of its internal parts not even being compatible with newer iOS's. That thing has been going on for like at least 5-6 years now and I still use it quite often. 

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

I think when it comes to Apple desktops, anybody who remotely knows computer hardware understand they cost an arm and a leg more than they should.

Nope. The OSX is no better or no worse than Windows or LInux. Each have their strengths and flaws.  Figure out your needs, budget and which interface you like the most. 

On 2-3-2016 at 4:11 AM, i7-6700K said:

they aren't completely garbage. They are more geared towards editing/rendering, not really gaming. Obviously you can get better performance with a PC way cheaper. I personally  prefer macs for laptops though.

i agree, macs are great for things like editing and programming :)

13 minutes ago, mikat said:

i agree, macs are great for things like editing and programming :)

And the cheaper+higher specd Windows and Linux computers (where you have the Linux equivalent, as in equal), are even better for both of those.

PMSL

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

And the cheaper+higher specd Windows and Linux computers (where you have the Linux equivalent, as in equal), are even better for both of those.

i personally like programming on mac way better and i've tried both mac and windows, and for editing i'd choose my windows machine since it's so much faster :) (some people like final cut, that's why they edit on mac, but i don't really like it)

1 minute ago, mikat said:

i personally like programming on mac way better and i've tried both mac and windows, and for editing i'd choose my windows machine since it's so much faster :) (some people like final cut, that's why they edit on mac, but i don't really like it)

Just a little tip, the Terminal used in Ubuntu based distro is pretty much identical to the one used in OSX when it comes to the commands-though there are a few different ones in OSX.

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Just a little tip, the Terminal used in Ubuntu based distro is pretty much identical to the one used in OSX when it comes to the commands-though there are a few different ones in OSX.

I have the RPi 2, with raspbian, does it also have the same functionality or should i install ubuntu?