Are Mac computers really that bad?

Trav_X

they aren't completely garbage. They are more geared towards editing/rendering, not really gaming. Obviously you can get better performance with a PC way cheaper. I personally  prefer macs for laptops though.

CPU: me | Dark Rock Pro 3 | Asus Z170-A | 32GB Dominator Plats | 512gb SSD/4TB WD Black | 980Ti | BQ Silent Base 800 | EVGA 850w |

01101110 01101111 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101
BEST PC FOR THE PRICE:

$400 $500 $600 $700 $800 $900 $1000

If you want to Silence your PC/Room more, contact me.

I am a pc user and I own a MacBook pro. Both have there uses and I use both of them quite often. I also go to school full-time for computer science so it is a actual benefit to be familiar with both operating systems. MacBook Pro or the Mac Pro are exceptional for content creation, and if you a desktop pc you can stream the game from your pc to the MacBook and game that way, other than that it's not horrible, but it's anything to write about as far as gaming goes. Consider that a lot of content creators own macs just for the ability to use Final Cut Pro and other content creation software. Personally I like both and I actually prefer OS X on a laptop than I do windows, but everyone will an opinion.

I think a lot of the hate just comes from the era where a macbook cost 3x what the exact same hardware in a laptop from another manufacturer would go for.  Thats where my disgust came from anyway, I remember years ago thinking "Why the bleeding hell would I pay THAT frigging much for a core2 duo?!!?"  They are still expensive now but at least they seem to offer more high end features :D

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

macs arent bad, they just are a nice audience i prefert to call the "facebook machines" pretty degradingly.

they're basicly really good computers for casuals: browsing the net, some office tasks, light video editing, and maybe a game every so often.

and best of all: they're made to take a beating from life, my samsung is in the same performance category, less than half of the price, and certainly doesnt like life's beating.

also, i can confirm all 3 of those linux pictures:

- runs great everywhere, even on grandma's relic

- command line is awesome, if MS actually knew how to implement it in a modern OS you'd use it too.

- when it finally works after 5 months of installing arch, it kinda looks like that bottom picture. may be partly halucination due to lack of sleep tho.

No they are not that bad. You won't be gaming on one that much for sure. Personally, I think Macbooks are still above the rest of the industry but theit desktops aren't that great long heavy tasks as they barely have fans. :P

I dislike MACs because I am a programmer. They are difficult to code for, and most games do not bother to code for them either because of their "all in one" system. No, they are not 'bad' so to speak, but it all depends on what you do everyday. If you are a gamer, do not get a MAC. MACs are NOT game oriented and never play them well, but if you are a creator, MACs are really nice for creating music and cutting videos.. Although I hate their cheap mouses and their lame half keyboards that I can never use. But once again, its all personal preference. College students studying arts and such love Macbooks, which are the only Macs I would ever consider owning, for their creativity. butttt, then again there is my Razer Stealth (loveeee) PC is master race.. JS.

They're good computers it's just they're business oriented computers and a bit pricey for most people.

Hello ma, hello pa, I'm on the interwebs. -LazySpeck

I have 10 systems (mostly linux) and I love my macbook for systems administration / programming.  

Why?

1. I'm a CPU poweruser.  Macbook Pro's have competitive CPU's that don't throttle like the older models did.

2. I hate plastic laptops.  Laptops run hot. Plastic degrades under heat.  I don't want to spend 2k on something that will crack and peal in 2 years.  (I'm looking at you G@m3r laptops)

3. My battery won't die in 4 hours.  

4. If OSX can't get the job done, multiboot will

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

some of the minecraft modding community begs to differ, but yeah, minecraft mod devs are a bit nuts at times.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/2174845-not-serious-villagers-nose

Minecraft was designed on Java, and the MACs can get a Java modding port to solve that issue. I just hate space sensitive coding. It annoys me lol

Just now, Temperament said:

Minecraft was designed on Java, and the MACs can get a Java modding port to solve that issue. I just hate space sensitive coding. It annoys me lol

try python, you'll pull your hair out.

Just now, manikyath said:

try python, you'll pull your hair out.

oh I already know. Had to make a program using Python once, never used it again.

Mac's absolutely repulse me for three reasons:

1. Paying for hardware I could get much cheaper somewhere else: (this one is self-explanatory)

2. Their OS is complete garbage: It's a very confusing OS to learn, and it just pretty much messed up

3. Hardly any third-party support: Mac's mostly use programs developed by Apple. On Windows there are much more programs I could freely use.

BONUS: Apple, stop trying to convince me with your thin pretty Macbook Air crap.

I woud say more but I could go on for hours about how terrible Macs are. 

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PRO | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB @3600MHz CL16 | AMD Radeon 6800 XT Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 w/ Tempered Glass | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + ADATA SU800 2TB | Corsair HX1000iNoctua NH-D15 chromax.black

1 minute ago, Riki the Legendary Heropon said:

Mac's absolutely repulse me for three hreasons:

1. Paying for hardware I could get much cheaper somewhere else: (this one is self-explanatory)

2. Their OS is complete garbage: It's a very confusing OS to learn, and it just pretty much messed up

3. Hardly any third-party support: Mac's mostly use programs developed by Apple. On Windows there are much more programs I could freely use.

BONUS: Apple, stop trying to convince me with your thin pretty Macbook Air crap.

I woud say more but I could go on for hours about how terrible Macs are. 

1: that solid block of aluminum costs money :P

2: i know my fair share of that, gotta love 8000% cpu usage right?

3: thats dead wrong, while indeed the list is smaller, there is a surprisingly large amount of applications available for mac.

bonus: the air is what appeals a lot of people who need a "facebook machine" to mac: yes they're expensive, but they're still decently fast, and are pretty dang lifeproof.

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

1: that solid block of aluminum costs money :P

2: i know my fair share of that, gotta love 8000% cpu usage right?

3: thats dead wrong, while indeed the list is smaller, there is a surprisingly large amount of applications available for mac.

bonus: the air is what appeals a lot of people who need a "facebook machine" to mac: yes they're expensive, but they're still decently fast, and are pretty dang lifeproof.

I'll admit, there are some third party programs for Macs but the list on Windows is much larger. I still think my other points are valid though.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PRO | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB @3600MHz CL16 | AMD Radeon 6800 XT Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 w/ Tempered Glass | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + ADATA SU800 2TB | Corsair HX1000iNoctua NH-D15 chromax.black

3 minutes ago, Riki the Legendary Heropon said:

I'll admit, there are some third party programs for Macs but the list on Windows is much larger. I still think my other points are valid though.

well, sure you're right on 1, but some people prefer an expensive laptop they can use as a kickstand.

apple has a notoriously bad reputation OS wise historically, but one thing i simply cannot argue is DJs: a mac is made to be carried around, and if you dont torture them they just keep on going with no unexpected surprises (like bluescreens during a concert). theres plenty of scenarios where both windows and linux are far superior tho.

the apps are basicly like this: whats the market share? thats roughly the market share of apps that bother. and apple targets those people who use the apps available for their platform. never saw apple targetting gamers did you? :P

and well, the macbook air, if they werent so dang flipping expensive (and didnt run OSX...) i'd have one for my on the go stuff. my samsung is like a cripple old man right now.

Well I happen to like PC hardware and Mac Software more somewhat. I like PC Hardware because its cheaper(Apple Grossly Overprices items) and Mac Software sometimes though because it can be a bit simpler than Windows for beginners. But I'm not a beginner so to me PC is good and Mac SUX. I only have one because i need it for school (screw u school).

Pricing

Fixability

Openess

3 things it doesnt have

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 minute ago, thekeemo said:

Pricing

Fixability

Openess

3 things it doesnt have

yup PC's way better than mac garbage

Plus, if u wanna run mac software on a pc, u can but its not advised. its called hackintoshing

3 hours ago, Trav_X said:

People dog them so much, but what do you guys really think?

Personally OSX, especially Capitan and the newer versions, are a pleasure to use. The only drawback in my opinion is lack of support on certain programs from the Internet, stuff like Dolphine Emulator and those kinda things (not even sure if Dolphin is supported, just suing as an example). 

I think the aesthetics are great. If the newest MacBook actually had some vents, I would consider getting it and BootCamping it and using as a daily driver (however my mileage may vary ;)). But the design just has drawbacks, and I don't like a crap ton on adapters. 

What do you guys honestly think about Mac computers (excluding the Mac Pro). I know this has probably been a thread before, but what actually do you guys think?

image.jpeg

It really depends. When my gf bought her MacBook air a year ago it cost here about 700€ which is the same price I payed for my lenovo. She has better battery life a better CPU a MUCH better display, less weight, smaller chassis, it is super quiet (duh).....just RAM is only at 4gb compared to my 8. That is really what it comes down t, what deal can you get? Depending on that, they can be pretty awesome. Right now prices are back up to a level (1000€ for the cheapest air) where I wouldn't recommend buying due to price/performance.

Edit: of course you have to like the OS and be fine with its limitations. But for people who jut want to use and not tinker...well I believe that's why they are selling so many units. Usually it just works.

Edited by mapegl

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)