Are Mac computers really that bad?

Trav_X
57 minutes ago, royalcrown said:

I could think of a bunch of ways Linux sucks too:

Every distro has somebody monkeying with the code breaking stuff.

You often cant compile because of some outdated or mismatched library component.

Non Intuitive multi tiered menu hierarchy

If you use CLI also  non intuitive folder hierarchy

Broken wifi drivers that use ancient Broadcomm drivers as base, or Railink crap when 99 percent of wifi  hardware is broadcomm based.

Shit indie games for the most part, indie sucks, so same as OSX for most part.

Stupid, junky Unity

I agree, there is a lot of bs with linux. The main difference is, with linux you have the option of using a different DE where in OSX you do not. All I'm saying is Linux gives you virtually limitless options as long as knowledge is no limit, where OSX limits you greatly. If you prefer OSX to Linux, that's fine. I'm just saying that OSX is full of proprietary software that you are all but forced to use. 

Speaking from personal experience (working for a small company repairing and upgrading macs for people that can't be bothered), Macs are very nice machines, the software runs well, looks good, and is fairly easy for a casual user to feel at home in. That being said, one of the reasons I even have a job where I do is the fact that they are a pain in the ass to work on and upgrade. I did three iMac upgrades today where if I had done the same upgrades on my personal PC I could have done it 20 times over in the same time frame. Upgrading to an SSD or changing a HDD is sooooo time consuming, because the freaking thing is hidden behind the display, which is behind a magnetically attached piece of glass, and said magnets grab the stupid screws when you go to put it back together, and the reason the HDD failed is because it's poorly oriented in an environment that's far too hot for optimal use..... and I can say that I will not be owning a Mac for the foreseeable future. Maybe the old Mac Pro would be ok, but that's about it.

So, signatures are a thing. How does one do them? Is this right?

It's the same thing with Alienware products (except you can build the same spec for lower price)...they're not bad if sold at the right amount. Of course they'd justify a $300/year warranty to cover your hardware with troubleshooting. I mean if you have the Googling skill to troubleshoot and know how to read a manual, you are better off building one yourself. Plus, most new hardwares you buy have at least 3 year warranty on them anyway.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

funny how this topic gets brought up over and over again lol

Use whatever gets your work done and is convenient for you and your pocketbook. I have a desktop PC and Mac laptop, both serve me well. The laptop is light, good quality, hard to beat up, and powerful enough for me to do basic tasks and a bit more. I see no point in a mac desktop for myself but im happy with what I have now. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Macbooks arent actually that bad I have a 2011 macbook pro which i use for school and i i tcan run csgo at a steady 90 fps in comp. Macs just need to be fitted with proper hardware for example my school imac has two gbs of ram which makes it very slow but my mac book has 8gbs of ram so its pretty fast. The only problem i have with Macs is the OS. I Hate Os X But i ussually dont use osx on my macbook. Instead i use Linux Mint on my mac which speeds up the mac even more.

Desktop - CPU Intel i7-8700k @3.20ghz ~ Motherboard Dell OPHWHK ~ RAM 8GB of HyperX DDR4 ~ GPU Nvidia EVGA Geforce GTX 1060 3GB ~ Case Dell case ~ Storage 1TB Hard Drive by WD and a Samsung 128 SSD ~ PSU EVGA 500W ~ Monitors MSI Optix G27C2 144hz ~ Cooling CM air cooled ~ Keyboard Corsair K70 ~ Mouse Logitech G502 ~ Headphones Skullcandys ~ OS Windows 10 Laptop 1CPU Intel i7-4700MQ ~ RAM 8GB of DDR3 ~ Motherboard Acer ~ Graphics GTX 750ti Laptop 2 2011 MacBook Pro

Everything is being upgraded so it might be out of date or I missed something

2 hours ago, royalcrown said:

I could think of a bunch of ways Linux sucks too:

Every distro has somebody monkeying with the code breaking stuff.

You often cant compile because of some outdated or mismatched library component.

Non Intuitive multi tiered menu hierarchy

If you use CLI also  non intuitive folder hierarchy

Broken wifi drivers that use ancient Broadcomm drivers as base, or Railink crap when 99 percent of wifi  hardware is broadcomm based.

Shit indie games for the most part, indie sucks, so same as OSX for most part.

Stupid, junky Unity

The only Good Linux distro is Mint Ubuntu sucks

Desktop - CPU Intel i7-8700k @3.20ghz ~ Motherboard Dell OPHWHK ~ RAM 8GB of HyperX DDR4 ~ GPU Nvidia EVGA Geforce GTX 1060 3GB ~ Case Dell case ~ Storage 1TB Hard Drive by WD and a Samsung 128 SSD ~ PSU EVGA 500W ~ Monitors MSI Optix G27C2 144hz ~ Cooling CM air cooled ~ Keyboard Corsair K70 ~ Mouse Logitech G502 ~ Headphones Skullcandys ~ OS Windows 10 Laptop 1CPU Intel i7-4700MQ ~ RAM 8GB of DDR3 ~ Motherboard Acer ~ Graphics GTX 750ti Laptop 2 2011 MacBook Pro

Everything is being upgraded so it might be out of date or I missed something

34 minutes ago, Howiim16 said:

Macbooks arent actually that bad I have a 2011 macbook pro which i use for school and i i tcan run csgo at a steady 90 fps in comp. Macs just need to be fitted with proper hardware for example my school imac has two gbs of ram which makes it very slow but my mac book has 8gbs of ram so its pretty fast. The only problem i have with Macs is the OS. I Hate Os X But i ussually dont use osx on my macbook. Instead i use Linux Mint on my mac which speeds up the mac even more.

Linux-the saviour of slow computers from the mid 90's and onwards.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Biggest problem I have with Mac (or simply Apple in general) is the price point vs the value. I enjoy Apple software but it sucks to code for and unless you are really going to be editing or creating things with it, it just isn't all that worth it. It's not terrible as much as it is vastly over priced if you look at what you could get with a PC. My friend asked me to build him a PC to do video and music editing, and for the first time in my life I recommended that he should just get a Macbook. Apple has this strange fascination with closed systems that sell for insane prices because of the branding. 

TL:DR

Macs aren't "bad" but cost way too much for what they offer vs PC.

When I'm just inspecting a skin in CS:GO (I trade often), my Air starts making more noise than my desktop, so I can't recommend if it you're a CS:GO trader :P

i use a windows pc and laptop and a iMac and MacBook all on  a daily basis and quite honestly i prefer windows 10 to mac osx just personal preference but i dont hate osx it has its uses i used to heavily rely on osx for final cut pro but now i have mover to adobe premier its certainly releaced the pressure of what type of computer i have to use to edit video. over all i honestly dont mind what i use 99% of the time and hell i can even play cities skylines (just) on my imac 

I lurk a lot

I would not consider them bad what so ever. They have more quality than other computers by that I mean the materials they are made from. People think a Mac is a cheap piece of sh*t but you actually get something good out of what you pay. I use a 2012 Macbook pro for school and it has lasted me since 2013 with no problems what so ever and the speed of it is still in tip-top shape even with the hard drive 3/4 used up. 

System Specs

• Gaming/work PC: 
    • Processor: Intel Core i7 4790k  @ 4.5Ghz 
    • Memory: 32GB RAM (Corsair Vengeance)
    • Graphics: ASUS GTX 980 Ti 
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z97
    • Storage: 3x 1TB Samsung SSDs (Not in RAID) & 1TB WD Black HDD
    • Case: H440 Designed By Razer

There is a big difference between quality and value.

Most Apple products (but certainly not all) are what I'd consider good, however I think they are ridiculously overpriced.

The OS itself has advantages and disadvantages like all its competitors and besides you can still install a different operating sistem, IF you consider the hardware to be worth the money.

On 2/3/2016 at 4:46 AM, pochie45566 said:

Bootcamp makes it instantly a high end windows machine that can also use osx apps when needed

laptop cpus and 5400rpm hdds are not what I would classify as "high end" - unfortunately they both appear en masse in 1000-1300$ range imacs.

On 2/3/2016 at 4:33 AM, Riki the Legendary Heropon said:

2. Their OS is complete garbage: It's a very confusing OS to learn, and it just pretty much messed up

Mac os is very good for what it is. You may disagree with their priorities but the system is stable, secure and caters well to their target audience. It's only "confusing to learn" if you have used something else for your entire life - besides if you have used ubuntu or some other linux distro the differences in interface aren't THAT deep.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

12 minutes ago, Max Dyba said:

I would not consider them bad what so ever. They have more quality than other computers by that I mean the materials they are made from. People think a Mac is a cheap piece of sh*t but you actually get something good out of what you pay. I use a 2012 Macbook pro for school and it has lasted me since 2013 with no problems what so ever and the speed of it is still in tip-top shape even with the hard drive 3/4 used up. 

I hope you realize 3 years of usage isn't such an amazing achievement ^^ don't get me wrong, macbook pros are well built, but they do have defects that others don't have just as they have advantages that others don't have.

It is also wrong to assume the materials are all that matters in build quality, and that aluminium is inherently superior to plastic; I have a refurbished thinkpad x220 that still works perfectly and is pretty much indestructible in normal use, while still being made of plastic.

5 hours ago, Howiim16 said:

The only Good Linux distro is Mint Ubuntu sucks

slow down there cowboy, a statement like that shows that you either have tried only those two or don't know what you're talking about

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

I hope you realize 3 years of usage isn't such an amazing achievement ^^ don't get me wrong, macbook pros are well built, but they do have defects that others don't have just as they have advantages that others don't have.

It is also wrong to assume the materials are all that matters in build quality, and that aluminium is inherently superior to plastic; I have a refurbished thinkpad x220 that still works perfectly and is pretty much indestructible in normal use, while still being made of plastic.

slow down there cowboy, a statement like that shows that you either have tried only those two or don't know what you're talking about

I did not mention something. The biggest defect is the hard drive cable on the 2012 Macbook Pro. It breaks every few months if you use it on the go a lot. I know. But the aluminium just makes it feel. That much better in quality and has a more expensive feel to it. I especially love the trackpad on the macbook pro with all its functions. 

System Specs

• Gaming/work PC: 

Just now, Max Dyba said:

I did not mention something. The biggest defect is the hard drive cable on the 2012 Macbook Pro. It breaks every few months if you use it on the go a lot. I know. But the aluminium just makes it feel. That much better in quality and has a more expensive feel to it. I especially love the trackpad on the macbook pro with all its functions. 

An "expensive feel" doesn't warrant a higher price tag in my book. If it does for you however that's fine. As for the trackpad, well, I just hate ALL trackpads equally :P I'd rather use the trackpoint or a real mouse

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

An "expensive feel" doesn't warrant a higher price tag in my book. If it does for you however that's fine. As for the trackpad, well, I just hate ALL trackpads equally :P I'd rather use the trackpoint or a real mouse

I mean. Have you ever used an apple trackpad for at least an hour? 

System Specs

• Gaming/work PC: 

6 minutes ago, Max Dyba said:

I have-the track pad on my old Compaq laptop from 2003-2004 is still better than those used by Apple.

PMSL

8 minutes ago, Max Dyba said:

yes

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Dabombinable said:

I have-the track pad on my old Compaq laptop from 2003-2004 is still better than those used by Apple.

I'd have to disagree. I love the Apple trackpad so much I bought one for my All in one PC the I have in the kitchen which I use while i'm cooking for recipes or listening to music.  

System Specs

• Gaming/work PC: 

Just now, Max Dyba said:

I'd have to disagree. I love the Apple trackpad so much I bought one for my All in one PC the I have in the kitchen which I use while i'm cooking for recipes or listening to music.  

Ever used a Compaq Presario R3000 for at least an hour? If not, then how can you disagree?

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Ever used a Compaq Presario R3000 for at least an hour? If not, then how can you disagree?

That was my first laptop.............

System Specs

• Gaming/work PC: 

It's not the hardware I dislike (though you have to admit, price/performance does not compare to traditional PCs, though I suppose a part of the price is looks, which I'll admit look really on point), it's the software I can't stand. I utterly despise MacOS.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

27 minutes ago, Max Dyba said:

That was my first laptop.............

This one with the Pentium 4 3.2GHz at around $2K?

http://www.digitaltrends.com/laptop-reviews/compaq-presario-r3000-review/

PMSL

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

This one with the Pentium 4 3.2GHz at around $2K?

http://www.digitaltrends.com/laptop-reviews/compaq-presario-r3000-review/

Nope the one with the Athlon.

System Specs

• Gaming/work PC: 

Their not that bad at all. but their choice of hardware is terrible since most people who buy apple products buy bybrand, such as buying a core i5 just because its a core i5. The OS on the other hand, is pretty good, which is why hackintoshing is a good way to keep the os, yet save money.