Microsoft was ‘surprised’ by negative Xbox One reaction

RyanTH98

Fan reaction to the unveiling of the Xbox One was merely the result of a misunderstanding, according to a Microsoft exec predicting an all-digital future.

‘People got in their minds that what we were trying to do was evil or anti-customer when, in fact, we were looking at what Steam does, we were looking at what iOS is going, we were looking where the customers were going and saying ‘I think we can actually give you a better all-digital experience,’ said Penello.‘So was I surprised that people had a reaction to it? No. I mean, we knew it was going to be a controversial decision. Was I surprised how negative the reaction was going to be? Yes.’ ‘We were surprised at how vocal it was, we were surprised at the reaction and the assumptions that people had about what we were trying to do. So we did the famous ’180′. ‘Nobody debates there’s going to be a world, whether it’s this gen, or next-gen, that discs are going to go away, it’s gone away in just about every medium.’‘I think if anything we thought it was going to happen sooner than the customer. We took a hard stance on it.’

Honestly, I don't know how they didn't expect this to come back at them. I mostly use my PC for gaming, although I could never get the same feeling of putting the game disc in a console as I could on PC. To me I want game discs to stick around for a while. Buying online to me just doesn't have the same feeling as going to the store and buying the actual disc. Not to mention that with a game disc you can bring over the game to a friends house and play with them.

What do you guys think? Do you think they rushed the decision of trying to become something similar to Steam? 

Video:

Article Link: http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/06/microsoft-was-surprised-by-negative-xbox-one-reaction-3952471/

I don't think that idiot understood it at all, people were so negative about them going so far with digital sales is because they don't want their digital property locked up with fucking microsoft, steam does it so well because every body loves/trusts steam where as nobody fucking trusts microsoft.

Well I expected that

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

I don't think that idiot understood it at all, people were so negative about them going so far with digital sales is because they don't want their digital property locked up with fucking microsoft, steam does it so well because every body loves/trusts steam where as nobody fucking trusts microsoft.

Let it out

If you were allowed to play your games offline and didn't have to be constantly online, that'd be fine. You can play games offline on a PC and phone, not the Xbox.

They have to learn how to not limit everything.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

3qbtg6.jpg

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

I don't think he understands that what allot of people were mad at was the always online/watching thing and also not being able to share games with your friends.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

Lol, 'hard drive'. They could have at least put lower grade flash storage in it that reads at around 2-300mb/s which would be much faster that an HDD, make the system cooler, and consume less power. 5 years into these consoles' life span they are going to be so brutally obsolete.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

If they would of had explained what would happen if you didn't check in whenever you are supposed to phone home, say 1 week. Also if they had sold the always on and some of the other "negative" aspects. Think about it guys, almost everything brought up that's negative about the Xbox One something in common with stuff you have claimed to be ok with. I just find it weird that a PC gaming community that promotes the use of Steam.

Back from the dead....

I would say unbelievable but at this point it isn't really.

Xbox One's policies were nothing like Steam. Steam is an optional and fantastic service users can choose to use. Xbox Live is neither optional nor fantastic (in comparison).

Steam does not lock you into their ecosystem, Steam does not force you into buying new games, Steam does not force archaic and anti-consumer DRM policies onto their consumers and Steam does not mandate that you connect to the internet every day to play your games.

Let's not even start going into the quality of service issues and lack of a value for money.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Misunderstandings?

No, we didn't misunderstand anything, you simply do not understand what WE(consumers) want.

I know I'm going to get a lot of flack because of this, but the majority of Windows users do not want Modern UI and again, the majority of Xbox users do not want a system that forces us to be online once a day, but that doesn't mean we don't want online features like day one digital releases.

Forcing stuff onto us makes us not want it. If they didn't force once a day sign ins and the Kinect, then I might have bought the Xbox One day one, but because you want to force these policies onto me(personally) it puts me off to buying your system entirely, and I bet many others felt the same. It is great that they reverted on these policies and restrictions, but now I'm not even interested in the console.

And with the Modern UI example, I know how to manage it and know the shortcuts, I just don't want to deal with that kind of ecosystem and I bet most users don't want to either. If anyone disagrees, please feel free to PM me, I don't want to derail this topic and I was merely posting an example.

-Snip-

I entirely echo all of your sentiments.

They can reverse as many things as they wish - I have already lost my trust in them. I feel that they have taken an arrogant and ignorant stance with their next console, have completely ignored a massive part of their userbase and have shown that they have no interest in or knowledge of our collective needs and wants.

Reversals or not, I cannot put my trust into a console made by a company naive enough to contemplate going through with such appalling policies.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Misunderstandings?

No, we didn't misunderstand anything, you simply do not understand what WE(consumers) want.

I know I'm going to get a lot of flack because of this, but the majority of Windows users do not want Modern UI and again, the majority of Xbox users do not want a system that forces us to be online once a day, but that doesn't mean we don't want online features like day one digital releases.

Forcing stuff onto us makes us not want it. If they didn't force once a day sign ins and the Kinect, then I might have bought the Xbox One day one, but because you want to force these policies onto me(personally) it puts me off to buying your system entirely, and I bet many others felt the same. It is great that they reverted on these policies and restrictions, but now I'm not even interested in the console.

And with the Modern UI example, I know how to manage it and know the shortcuts, I just don't want to deal with that kind of ecosystem and I bet most users don't want to either. If anyone disagrees, please feel free to PM me, I don't want to derail this topic and I was merely posting an example.

+1 we need to echo this to Microsoft's doorsteps

iOS has cheap games  and offline play

steam has competitors   xbox has non if it was online only  = expensive games

this is a reaction to piracy

dont give me this bullshit

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

The difference between what Microsoft introduced and what Steam and iOS is that with iOS and Steam allows you to play offline completely after purchasing and playing ONCE. The Xbone required you to be online 24/7 in order to do what the console was intended to do... play games. They removed that functionality by forcing the user to be connected to the internet.

Idiots know nothing.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

It was nothing like steam, what are they going on about? do they even know what steam does? Steam is by far not perfect, but at least it doesn't force horrible DRM down your throat every chance it gets.  Steam is a form of DRM yes, but its a understandable DRM that doesn't restrict anything.

They where limiting everything you could do for NO GOOD REASON, how can they say we wanted that? we want to be restricted with something we BOUGHT with OUR own money?

If they think that is what we(consumers) want, they are very mistaken, however this is coming from the company who thinks that we want modern UI on desktops for some stupid reason....

Who ever approved the original policies must be high or something if they thought consumers would be fine with it.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Tell this guy to download and buy Steam games and try playing offline for more than a day.  Now tell me if that's what the Xbone was going to do. 

Have him go to Gamestop or on craigslist/Kijiji and sell his old games, or go to a friends house, lend someone his discs so he can play just by putting it in his own console.  Now tell me if that's what the Xbone was going to do with physical media.

This is like the umpteenth time Microsoft has subtly take jabs at vocal gamers/consumers for forcing them to do a 180 with their console.  I see where they wanted to take console gaming into the pure digital download age but my goodness... whomever came up with those policies and the team responsible for explaining their implementation, I swear, never ran a game off Steam.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

Aaant he has a point, it will happen and it can be a better experience, I definitely didn't like the way Microsoft were going to use this to their advantage, though.

I actually kind of get his point, but I also feel like it wasn't really the right move. Steam is for the PC and no matter how close you got it, it would still be on an unupgradable, weaker console. And the console players don't really want steam, it only works single player. I hardly ever play a console alone and for that I want a more mobile platform (CDs I can take and such)

the difference is that Steam comes as a convenience first - a reliable service to get my games. I love not having to deal with CD's (back when it came out), and now it's a service to were I don't see a point in going out and buying physical copies that I could lose or waste space on my shelf. So I'm happy to use Steam's system, and hey what do you know - it's DRM for the developer/publisher. Doesn't bother me though

Microsoft enforced their system upon the public. There was NO benefit to the consumer, only hassle. Unnecessary hassle merely to make/save money - the whole system was built out of pure greed (*cough Origin)

Microsoft really needs to wake the f- up. Steam has been out for years/decades and is THE shining example of how to do DRM. Yet they came nowhere close to it's execution, as if this "online DRM" concept is completely new to the industry....I mean really M$?..............................

and then of course their following presentation was terrible - tons of mixed messages and awful choice of words/answers in interviews made it worse