If your parents take away your phone......they could face up to 6 months in jail!

AlTech
8 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Honestly in my opinion, I doubt I would buy my kid something like an iPhone (or Android) ever.  If my kid needs a phone, which I believe they should have one in case of emergencies to contact you or you to contact them I would buy them a non-smart phone.  They can buy a smart phone when they save up and buy one with their own cash.

My own childhood growing up, I didn't get my own phone until I was 20, when I had my own job and the fact that I didn't particularly care for having one until I needed it.  And I had to buy it myself, pay for the sim card and all the fees.

I never had one until I bought myself one after getting and holding a job

It was my responsibility to pay for it and take care of it 

When I made some poor decisions, my parents were disappointed in me and took it for a week (which sucked, as my GF was in florida for the exact same week) and I really learned my lesson :P Haven't forgotten the consequences of poor choices and its going to be the same for my kids

Here in Sweden with my cell subscription i can add or remove data limits on each phone on the plan. At home i can shut off wifi and such. So that the easiest punishment for my kids.  I normally dont take my kids cell phones but i do limit the use if need be.  they are 13 and 11. 

Just now, sandboarder08 said:

Here in Sweden with my cell subscription i can add or remove data limits on each phone on the plan. At home i can shut off wifi and such. So that the easiest punishment for my kids.  I normally dont take my kids cell phones but i do limit the use if need be.  they are 13 and 11. 

Understandable. But if you caught them conspiring with other minors to bully or possibly assault someone else?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

Understandable. But if you caught them conspiring with other minors to bully or possibly assault someone else?

Probably perform an exorcism and lop a finger off 

Just now, Stupidtiggers said:

Probably perform an exorcism and lop a finger off 

Considering that assault is an actual crime, perhaps the police could be involved. Maybe the "child" could spend the night in the drunk tank, and see where their behavior is leading them.

4 minutes ago, Stupidtiggers said:

I never had one until I bought myself one after getting and holding a job

It was my responsibility to pay for it and take care of it 

When I made some poor decisions, my parents were disappointed in me and took it for a week (which sucked, as my GF was in florida for the exact same week) and I really learned my lesson :P Haven't forgotten the consequences of poor choices and its going to be the same for my kids

Same for me if I ever have kids one day, I'll adopt some of the rules my parents had when I was growing up.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

Yeah Definitely take it away.   I do pay for it, and its my house.

If he had paid for it himself and was at appropriate age.I would give him a option. Give me the phone or I would let proper authorities know of the plot (be it the school or police).

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

This is how kids grow up to be entitled SJWs

And beget yet more SJW's as a result of having no concept of consequences and the fact that they AREN'T the center of the universe.

1 minute ago, sandboarder08 said:

Yeah Definitely take it away.   I do pay for it, and its my house.

If he had paid for it himself and was at appropriate age.I would give him a option. Give me the phone or I would let proper authorities know of the plot (be it the school or police).

Take it away, if he calls the police show them what he was doing, "I was preventing a crime from occurring".

11 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

If the parent pays for the phone in any way then they have the right to take it away for any reason. Period.

You've already proven that you don't behave like an adult. You're a child. Probably 12-15.

If the parent paid for it but lets their child use it then it is property of the parent and not the child. The child did not make income to buy the phone and did not pay taxes for on phone. The child has no claim to ownership if they merely use it.

Hilarious. If you made this kind of call in the UK (i.e. 'my Dad has taken my phone'), you'd be warned that you were potentially wasting police time.

"you can't take someone's property, regardless if you're a parent or not," should in fact read: "You can't take back your own property, regardless of whether you continue to pay for it on a monthly basis or not".

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

I completely agree with the ex wife. Don't take a possession of mine. Cos I don't learn my lesson. I'll be even more pissed off and worse off than before. My mom would never dare take anything away from me. My dad is different, he has authority and he would do it. He's never taken away my phone but he has taken away my PC before.

Honestly if someone including my dad took my PC or any of my possessions ever again, then I would call the police (obviously not for small stuff but I mean a laptop or technological items). Taking things from Children or anyone is wrong because  they don't learn their lesson that way. Just tell them it was wrong and tell them how to be a better person and do it the right way.

said his client's 12-year-old daughter had been trying to organize an attack on another minor, and that's why the phone was taken.

i am going to just put this here because i am a parent and really feel like you a self entitled brat throwing a temper tantrum to the world because mommy didn't give you everything you ever wanted in life. that said, if my daughter dared to organize an attack on another child, she could call the cops all she wanted because i would be smashing EVERY damn electronic device she has access to and would then home school her. she would have no social life to ever get to organize an attack again. telling her it is wrong wouldn't work since she would be a teenager (which i assume you are) and they never listen. ask me how i know that. because i was one. if i was your parent and i saw this post by you, your PC and laptop, phone and any consoles would all be confiscated. and by the time the cops showed up probably destroyed. or i would give you this wonderful choice: lose EVERY electronic device, for say two weeks. maybe a month. or bend your fucking ass over, and you are getting double your age in swats across your bare fucking ass. oh but modern society says that swats are abuse. well looks like you get the first option then. better call the cops fast because the sledge hammer is waiting and the truck is running. and then when they show up, i hope they take you away for wasting their time. honestly that is where this whole ordeal should have stopped. clearly there was no physical harm to the child. she can clearly move about society operating without a cell phone. it isn't necessary for her to function in life. and with that said, you have confirmed to me that what i am doing as a parent is right. you know why? because it isn't liked by children. they don't like to be punished and therefore are less likely to make bad decisions if they are. you will be a self entitled twat your entire life because your parents didn't take a stand against you, spank you a little as a child, and make you realize that bad decisions have consequences. my daughter, and my son, will both know that!

1 hour ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Yeah like, might as well just give the child to charity, because his a little monster. Thats like abandoning your child to the wastes, and theyll become much worse in time, and thats how murderers and psycopaths are made. Dude, are you North Korean, @suicidalfranco?

If he's a teen he's old enough to live on his own in my book, if you think that kicking out a spoilt brat with self entitlement issues is wrong then send him to the military since it seems that disciplining your own child is now illegal, let the government take care of it. Nope, i'm italian, and unlike you i lived respecting my parents rules and most important off all: respecting those older than me.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Spoil brats are lucky to be living at this time, cause in the olden days, do something wrong and a belt with be waiting for you.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Spoil brats are lucky to be living at this time, cause in the olden days, do something wrong and a belt with be waiting for you.

I still hate the sound it makes when my dad takes a belt off. I don't flinch or anything, but damn do I notice that sound.

I read an article about this case a while ago and in that article the whole court case and sentencing wasn't about the dad taking away the phone from his child, it was about the dad taking the phone and then not wanting to turn the phone over to the mother (his divorced wife) who originally bought and legally owned the phone.

Oh and also, if you live under your parents roof, I think they can do whatever they want with the stuff they bought for you or even with stuff you bought yourself... with the allowance you probably got from them in the first place. 

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

4 minutes ago, Syfes said:

I read an article about this case a while ago and in that article the whole court case and sentencing wasn't about the dad taking away the phone from his child, it was about the dad taking the phone and then not wanting to turn the phone over to the mother (his divorced wife) who originally bought and legally owned the phone.

Oh and also, if you live under your parents roof, I think they can do whatever they want with the stuff they bought for you or even with stuff you bought yourself... with the allowance you probably got from them in the first place. 

Agreed, that's where he went over the line - not giving the phone over to the Mother. But the responses here defending the daughter and mother aren't defending that specific action - they're saying that he shouldn't be able to take it away from the daughter at all. Which is flat-out wrong and bad parenting.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

That is the most fucked up thing I've ever heard. You really make me angry. What you said is the most asshole ish thing ever. That is the number 1 way to get unpopular with everyone around you.

so far seems like everyone is agreeing with me, face it: you're just self entitled, spoilt and have no respect for your own parents

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

It's funny.. when I was 12 cell phones were the size of a brick and cost an astronomical amount of money to keep in service.. Now days 12 year olds feel they are entitled :D
The era where if you had a pager or if you could manage to afford and carry a cell phone at school you were automatically labeled a drug dealer(by the school staff)

Reading through some of these replies, in a place where most people are somewhat anonymous, and you don't always know the age of the people you're conversing with, it's certainly easy to separate children from adults in this thread.

My opinion, the father was correct to take the phone away.  The *12 YEAR OLD* was doing something that requires being disciplined.  But he should have had a chat with the mother about it.

Some of you kids posting in here don't understand how difficult being a parent is, you also don't understand just how hard it can be especially for divorced parents to set aside their own feelings towards each other and still function together to raise children.

I went through it all too.  My family was very poor, I was provided for, but if I wanted extra stuff.. a nice bike, video game consoles, computers, etc, I had to get it on my own.  I worked for almost everything I have ever owned and so as a young punk when I got into trouble and they threatened to take away this or that, I was very strongly opinionated.
You cant take my stuff away, I paid for all of it myself.  I'm practically an adult, you can't tell me what to do, you're not the boss of me.
This mindset is what had me thrown out on my ass at age 17.  I lived in my car(that I paid for myself as well) for 6 months.  My boss at my part time job felt sorry for me and eventually threw me some more hours, enough to where I could split an apartment with someone.  I didn't finish high school, I didn't go to college, and I now work very hard at a dying trade.  But at least I had all my STUFF right?

Now that I've got a family of my own, it's definitely my job to make sure my children do not turn into me.  I want them to have every opportunity I didn't.  I do not want them to grow up with the same little punk ass attitude I had.  It's my JOB to do my best to raise them to be decent human beings.

So when your parents attempt to discipline you, whether you see it or not, that's exactly what they are doing.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

Pft. It's not like childs finger was cut for punishment. What a stupid world we live in.
Funny, take away, how about broke it completely. Would be funny to see the outcome of that.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 minute ago, Doobeedoo said:

Pft. It's not like childs finger was cut for punishment. What a stupid world we live in.
Funny, take away, how about broke it completely. Would be funny to see the outcome of that.

If the mom paid for it thats kinda harsh. But factory reset....  may be funny ....

What a fucking waste of the polices time and resources, they whole family should be fucking ashamed of themselves, this is the kind of bullshit that should be sorted out between themselves. and the police should have told them to fuck off and stop wasting their time.

Only in Afuckinmerica.........

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----