If your parents take away your phone......they could face up to 6 months in jail!

AlTech
Just now, Trik'Stari said:

There's always military school or boarding school (what the OP needs)

I like the way you think B|

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

I'm serious.

Sign me the fuck up for a Mars expedition. Hell, I'll even settle for the moon, or even simple "lets see how far a person can get" straight shot out of the solar system.... I'm fucking done.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Just now, ALwin said:

I'm not much into child abuse.  Someone who is 16 years old should have more reasoning ability than a 5 year old.

I agree, but kicking the little shit out is a little harsh

If he/she is in total rebellion and won't take discipline/learn a lesson then yes, kick them out

But they are your responsibility until they are 18, and you need to do your best to show them how to adult :P

2 minutes ago, ALwin said:

No, if I had a teenage kid that was breaking the rules in my house, he would be kicked out. I wouldn't waste my time spanking him.  His options would be either start following the rules of the house or find his own place to live, paid for with his own money.

I don't think that many people would go that far, but there must be consequences.

In Canada, at least, there are laws regarding when you can use corporal punishment (spanking) - a Teenager (Aged 13+ I believe), cannot be spanked. That becomes abuse. It's only legally appropriate to spank a child that's between 2 and 12 I believe.

Spanking a teenager is mentally damaging to their development (You can argue whether spanking is ever good, but that's a different topic - spanking a teenager has been undeniably proven to be detrimental to their mental well being). It's demeaning and not appropriate for their age.

So that means you have to use other means of punishment. Confiscating devices, grounding, etc.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, Stupidtiggers said:

I agree, but kicking the little shit out is a little harsh

If he/she is in total rebellion and won't take discipline/learn a lesson then yes, kick them out

But they are your responsibility until they are 18, and you need to do your best to show them how to adult :P

Well someone just mentioned boarding school or military school, I might send my kid to military school where he will learn proper discipline as 1 step before being booted out of my house.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

49 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

If you live in America, and your parents took away your phone then your parents could face up to 6 months of prison.

I completely agree with the ex wife. Don't take a possession of mine. Cos I don't learn my lesson. I'll be even more pissed off and worse off than before. My mom would never dare take anything away from me. My dad is different, he has authority and he would do it. He's never taken away my phone but he has taken away my PC before.

Honestly if someone including my dad took my PC or any of my possessions ever again, then I would call the police (obviously not for small stuff but I mean a laptop or technological items). Taking things from Children or anyone is wrong because  they don't learn their lesson that way. Just tell them it was wrong and tell them how to be a better person and do it the right way.

http://mashable.com/2016/01/27/dad-confiscates-iphone-misdemeanor/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-tech-link#LNkIXBoBUkqT

Yeah Completely disagree,  And one day when your a father you will understand. He was in the Right.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I don't think that many people would go that far, but there must be consequences.

In Canada, at least, there are laws regarding when you can use corporal punishment (spanking) - a Teenager (Aged 13+ I believe), cannot be spanked. That becomes abuse. It's only legally appropriate to spank a child that's between 2 and 12 I believe.

Spanking a teenager is mentally damaging to their development (You can argue whether spanking is ever good, but that's a different topic - spanking a teenager has been undeniably proven to be detrimental to their mental well being). It's demeaning and not appropriate for their age.

So that means you have to use other means of punishment. Confiscating devices, grounding, etc.

How about humiliating them on national TV, when they're at a riot acting like a moron? I'd wager that worked out pretty well.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 minute ago, DevilishBooster said:

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

I'm serious.

Sign me the fuck up for a Mars expedition. Hell, I'll even settle for the moon, or even simple "lets see how far a person can get" straight shot out of the solar system.... I'm fucking done.

After reading @Trik'Stari's comment's, I completely agree.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Guess what? in Canada marijuana is legal! if they think that's ok then why should we listen to anything they say?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

@Godlygamer23 @Windspeed36 Please help me. This thread has become quite out of control. Everybody is taking the piss out of each other.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Damn.

There are really people around the world that think the spoiled child is right? Poor world. 

I really wonder where we will draw the line. I mean we used to hit our kids when they screwed up. That is illegal now, and i am totally fine with that. Now we are no longer allowed to take away their stuff, even if they use it to bully other children?... THAT i am not fine with at all.

Next it will be illegal to scream at your kids, or just plain out not allowing them to do whatever they please. You will only be allowed to pay for them and go to jail if THEY screw up, but taking measures to prevent them screwing up... will also get you into jail.

It will be great!

(Glad i don't live in america, laws there are so fucked up)

1 minute ago, ALwin said:

Well someone just mentioned boarding school or military school, I might send my kid to military school where he will learn proper discipline as 1 step before being booted out of my house.

Yessssss, honestly I've seen really good changes in people, especially in the respect/character building portion of how military school affects you

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

@Godlygamer23 Please help me. This thread has become quite out of control. Everybody is taking the piss out of each other.

The thread is not out of control, there is just a majority opinion opposite of yours 

This is dumb.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Guess what? in Canada marijuana is legal! if they think that's ok then why should we listen to anything they say?

That last sentence though.  Your age is showing.  I've lowered my bet to 16.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

@Godlygamer23 @Windspeed36 Please help me. This thread has become quite out of control. Everybody is taking the piss out of each other.

Are you calling on them because you realize many people disagree with your comments?  No one here has personally attacked you or insulted you in any way, but many have disagreed with you and called into question your judgement and age.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

35 minutes ago, mikat said:

and as a reply to RTU's video:

the holy grail, the cell phone? djeez kids these days are really addicted.

i could live without my pc and without my iphone, but i like to have them.

my macbook i have to have because i have a terrible handwriting and i do my school things on there

Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but how many teenagers do you know who wouldn't react strongly to having their phone taken away?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but how many teenagers do you know who wouldn't react strongly to having their phone taken away?

Which is why it is an effective punishment, your going to remember losing that phone for two weeks before you sneak out to go party at 2am next time 

Just now, Stupidtiggers said:

Which is why it is an effective punishment, your going to remember losing that phone for two weeks before you sneak out to go party at 2am next time 

exactly

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Honestly in my opinion, I doubt I would buy my kid something like an iPhone (or Android) ever.  If my kid needs a phone, which I believe they should have one in case of emergencies to contact you or you to contact them I would buy them a non-smart phone.  They can buy a smart phone when they save up and buy one with their own cash.

My own childhood growing up, I didn't get my own phone until I was 20, when I had my own job and the fact that I didn't particularly care for having one until I needed it.  And I had to buy it myself, pay for the sim card and all the fees.

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Hmm? What? No, Marijuana is not legal in Canada (Unless for Medicinal purposes, as prescribed by a licensed and practicing Doctor - you know - people who would know best).

The current government is trying to legalize Marijuana for recreational use for legal consenting adults (Those aged 19 and over), with similar rules that govern Alcohol (The rules are pretty strict, especially in regards to sales and minors). But that might not even become law, so we cannot use that as any sort of justification one way or the other. As of right now, Marijuana is illegal except when prescribed by a doctor.

And being a Canadian, yes, I think we should listen to what Canada has to say.

FYI, the Government is thinking about making it illegal to spank any child, regardless of age (Currently it's 2-12 years old, allowed to be spanked) - many people disagree with that, since spanking is a very common practice in North America, and in Europe, but there is some research that shows it leads to a higher risk of aggressive behaviour. The problem with that research, is that most people turn out just fine, despite being spanked. So only a certain subset of children would be at risk.

Is it okay to spank kids? I don't know. Most people think so. I think in 99% of cases, you should find a more effective method of punishment, since I find it ironic that kids are the only people we're legally allowed to beat, but that's getting outside the bounds and scope of this conversation and thread topic.

3 minutes ago, Mjvdk said:

That last sentence though.  Your age is showing.  I've lowered my bet to 16.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

13 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Are you calling on them because you realize many people disagree with your comments?  No one here has personally attacked you or insulted you in any way, but many have disagreed with you and called into question your judgement and age.

Ironic, because we're talking about consequences.

4 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Honestly in my opinion, I doubt I would buy my kid something like an iPhone (or Android) ever.  If my kid needs a phone, which I believe they should have one in case of emergencies to contact you or you to contact them I would buy them a non-smart phone.  They can buy a smart phone when they save up and buy one with their own cash.

That's a good practice. Especially for younger kids. For teenagers, making them buy their own with their own savings does promote financial understanding and education - they learn the value of money because they have to earn it themselves and spend it themselves - and if they break their phone because of carelessness, well, they learn a lesson from that too.

I don't think that parents should never buy their kids electronics or expensive items, but occasionally it does make sense. Here's a cheap phone for free for emergency calls. Want a fancy one? Buy it yourself. Here's a cheap computer that can handle all of your homework needs. Want a better one, save up and I'll match your savings and I'll teach you how to build one. etc.

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

Ironic, because we're talking about consequences.

Indeed, when someone starts a discussion like this one of the consequences will be that there are going to be people who disagree... especially considering the stance taken by the OP.

25 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Doing something like using phone badly != Punishing someone by removing phone.

Pretty damn close to it. I look like one physically (cos i'm that tall). And I'm a he . I behave like an adult a lot of the time.  Unless someone pissed me off. The I might over react.

If the parent pays for the phone in any way then they have the right to take it away for any reason. Period.

You've already proven that you don't behave like an adult. You're a child. Probably 12-15.

1 minute ago, ALwin said:

Indeed, when someone starts a discussion like this one of the consequences will be that there are going to be people who disagree... especially considering the stance taken by the OP.

I was really hoping the mods, or @LinusTech himself would show up in here and say "hey, you brought this on yourself. Those are the consequences"