Apple's iPhone 6S Plus smashes its Android competition in AnTuTu's 2015 Top 10 chart

jos

inb4 android fanboys that are just as bad a apple shills

This

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Fun fact about AnTuTu: It's a really shitty benchmark.

The iPhone is very powerful. Possibly the most powerful smartphone. AnTuTu is a terrible way of confirming it though. Might as well use the Windows Experience Index to compare CPUs.

1) I'd go as far as to say most desktop programs are multithreaded. How well they can utilize several cores is another question, but the threads are there. Even my text editor, NotePad++, is using 10 threads right now. My hearthstone deck tracker has 38 threads. µTorrent? 15 threads. Steam? 22, without counting things like SteamWebHelper (12 threads), SteamService (4 threads) and many more.

2) What makes people think phone apps are multithreaded? Because we have evidence for it.

3) No... Back single threaded performance and thermals was not the reason why Samsung and Qualcomm went with very high core count. The reason why they did it was because of big.LITTLE. They got so many cores because the cores are designed for different uses. For example in the Snapdragon 810 we have four very low lower cores coupled with four very high performance cores. Why waste resources powering up a big and power hungry core when a smaller and more efficient core can do the same task at a speed the user won't mind/notice?

Ok, I managed to screw up terms here. What I really wanted to say was most apps don't use more than 2 cores if not 1 in a CPU rather depends on that sole core to get the job done

I wasn't talking about the big.LITTLE architecture rather just the general usage of four cores rather than dual core. Now I'm not saying we don't need 4 cores but all I'm saying was qualcomm and samsung needs to get on the game and be like apple where they focus on single core performance rather than depending multi core as it will have a direct affect on the apps that run it. MediaTek is great example where they a bunch of cores but performance is sub par.

Again, I will admit that I don't fully know too much about this rather I'm just presenting what i've seen and observed through the years with A series chipsets and android chipsets

He has a somewhat valid point. Run Word and I dare you to tell me that that thing uses more than one core.

What would you run multi threaded in word?

What exactly does all this power get us? I've been able to watch hd video since the first dual cores were out.

Its not like battery life has gotten any better.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

And the most taxing thing that CPU will see is Jelly Splash and Facebook, all displayed on a low-res screen. No thanks.  :D

Compare the 6P and 6s Plus on geekbench, the 6P rips the 6s a new one on multi-core.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Ok, I managed to screw up terms here. What I really wanted to say was most apps don't use more than 2 cores if not 1 in a CPU rather depends on that sole core to get the job done

I wasn't talking about the big.LITTLE architecture rather just the general usage of four cores rather than dual core. Now I'm not saying we don't need 4 cores but all I'm saying was qualcomm and samsung needs to get on the game and be like apple where they focus on single core performance rather than depending multi core as it will have a direct affect on the apps that run it. MediaTek is great example where they a bunch of cores but performance is sub par.

Again, I will admit that I don't fully know too much about this rather I'm just presenting what i've seen and observed through the years with A series chipsets and android chipsets

If you check the Anandtech article, you'll see singlethreaded performance really isn't an issue. It's not like the PC, where Skyrim performance is almost exclusively dependent on singlethreaded performance, leaving 8-core AMD CPUs struggling while 2-core CPUs from Intel run smoothly.

Also, a lot of what you've observed may have more to do with software, GPU performance, or even storage performance. The really impressive thing about the iPhone 6s is the storage. NVMe in a smartphone? Just awesome.

What exactly does all this power get us?

I dunno since I am using my modified conservative governor the CPU is rarely running at full speed.

KCRhzAW.jpg

It also smashes battery life! :D Important detail they forgot there.

And tbh for that price it should perform better. Price/performance just isn't as good compared to the Mate 8.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

What are you guys doing on your phone to need to check benchmarks before buying a phone? I'm still using a nexus 4 which is quad corem, I think. I rather check for oled screen with decent ppi and big battery life than looking for the greatest mark in antutu.

He has a somewhat valid point. Run Word and I dare you to tell me that that thing uses more than one core. 

It uses 2 of my Pentium III.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well i hate the fact that Apple and Android OEMs go in completely separate directions. I dont like it when people complain that their phone doesnt have a 1440p screen. IMO the GPU performance hit is not worth the resolution increase over 1080p. Heck, even 720p is fine at screens lower than 5 inches. This is what apple does and no one bats an eyelid; this is one of the ways that they can cut costs and keep up and exceed android phones when it comes to performance. 

The only  Android company that has this philosophy when it comes to phone screen and performance compromise is Sony, with their Z Compact line 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Until someone crams a Tegra K1 into a phone, then it's bye bye IPhone.

Yeah, I know that's not likely to happen.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

What are you guys doing on your phone to need to check benchmarks before buying a phone? I'm still using a nexus 4 which is quad corem, I think. I rather check for oled screen with decent ppi and big battery life than looking for the greatest mark in antutu.

AMOLED screens have their disadvantages. They suffer from burn-in and have much shorter lifespans than IPS. Also, higher ppi equates to terrible battery life

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

AMOLED screens have their disadvantages. They suffer from burn-in and have much shorter lifespans than IPS. Also, higher ppi equates to terrible battery life

Burn in is no longer an issue. The wearing is pretty even now that the status bar changes color, and the phone will most likely be replaced before it becomes a noticeable issue.

I'd say that for phones, there is no longer any disadvantage of going with OLED anymore. There used to, but they have all been fixed.

Meanwhile, with Remix OS out, I'm waiting for how i7 4790ks will bench on Antutu and Geekbench...

And the most taxing thing that CPU will see is Jelly Splash and Facebook, all displayed on a low-res screen. No thanks.  :D

Compare the 6P and 6s Plus on geekbench, the 6P rips the 6s a new one on multi-core.

Higher resolutions on phones are bullshit that contribute absolutely nothing to the end user. Apple isn't wrong with their retina description; there really isn't much point in increasing resolution beyond a certain point other than to tout it as a spec.

I'd say that for phones, there is no longer any disadvantage of going with OLED anymore. There used to, but they have all been fixed.

Now Samsung just needs to be willing to sell Apple some of their SuperAMOLED screens.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Burn in is no longer an issue. The wearing is pretty even now that the status bar changes color, and the phone will most likely be replaced before it becomes a noticeable issue.

It may not be as widespread as in the past but the problem is still there.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Wut?

It's quite true. Outside of web browsers, most consumer software isn't multithreaded, and what is is still poorly done.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

@GoodBytes this is old news mate.

?! Original source is from yesterday.

http://www.weibo.com/p/1001603930766349320937

Yeah but we've known the A9 chip and OSX in combination is lightyears ahead of anything on Android ever since the reviews went up about the 6S models. This isn't anything new :P

Yeah but we've known the A9 chip and OSX in combination is lightyears ahead of anything on Android ever since the reviews went up about the 6S models. This isn't anything new :P

Now you have another confirmation with a different benchmark tool, from what I can see.

Also, maybe not everyone knows, or they where questioning the benchmark tools.

Of course, what helps the iPhone is the SSD it has, which definitely help texture loading so depending on how the benchmark values what most in its design will show.

But there is nothing to be sad about.

1- Competition is good. Look at Qualcomm, returning back to a few cores now with teh Snapdragon 820, instead of the 810 with the 10 cores, and focus on speed. And if they fail again, maybe some other contender will come in. Maybe phone manufacture will give Nvidia Tegra chip a try. Also, who knows, maybe Android phone makers will also start putting an SSD inside.

2- iPhone 6S/6S Plus sales are lower than 6/6 Plus, at least so far. It's not dead, just lower. It does shows that people find their phones fast enough these days for their day to day activity, and phone gaming isn't pushing any boundaries, especially that they aim with the lowest common denominator with no graphics settings like on the PC gaming side. So who cares about phone speed. Now it is all about experience and features. Now for sure, it will come back to performance, but so far, this is now the focus from my analysis.

If my analysis is true, this will be interesting to see in the future, because it might re-open doors for new contenders in the smart phone market. Perhaps a new OS based on Android (so it has all apps support), perhaps Windows Phone will have a second chance, maybe Apple and Google will need to double the fight in features, who knows! But, the consumer wins.

Just wait until snapdragon 820 comes out.

Doubt it'll make much difference. My 5s outperforms my daily driver (note 5) in single threaded tasks.

It does.

Mqolrpk.png

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Higher resolutions on phones are bullshit that contribute absolutely nothing to the end user. Apple isn't wrong with their retina description; there really isn't much point in increasing resolution beyond a certain point other than to tout it as a spec.

For me I can see pixels on my Note 3. Thats a 1080 panel on a 5.5" phone. Now I am near sighted so I have to hold things close to see them clearly but I am not talking about touching my nose close. At around 10" away I can blocks on text on curved areas, and at 6" away I can see them quite alot. Its the only reason I want to get the 6P for its 2k resolution. 

But thats just me. I use my phone a lot for reading and the higher resolution is big for me. It might not be for everyone but apple is just ignorant to say "no one needs anything higher than this"