"Skylake isnt worth it"

Go to solution Solved by ITS-PARTY-TIME,

given the difference in minimums. i bet the 4790k is running a 1600 kit, and the 6700k is running 2400 to 2666 Mhz... which would be the defining factor here. since 10% IPC increase wont give THAT huge a difference in performance

ram speed does not really make a difference in performance (unless youre using iGPU of course)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

ram speed does not really make a difference in performance (unless youre using iGPU of course)

not entirely true..

some games benefit from higher speed ram

Not true. Ram speed has a significant difference in minimum FPS in situations with high CPU overhead. Read my signature and the following sources for more information.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1487162/an-independent-study-does-the-speed-of-ram-directly-affect-fps-during-high-cpu-overhead-scenarios

You will see roughly a 10% difference in minimum FPS. If you won't take my word for it, other forum members will give their experience too. @SteveGrabowski0

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

not entirely true..

some games benefit from higher speed ram

some

and very little from all the benchmarks ive seen...

linus has several videos on this if you look it up on his channel

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Not true. Ram speed has a significant difference in minimum FPS in situations with high CPU overhead. Read my signature and the following sources for more information.

You will see roughly a 10% difference in minimum FPS. If you won't take my word for it, other forum members will give their experience too. @SteveGrabowski0

i remember a thread on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/516080-1600mhz-16gb-vs-2400mhz-16gb-ram-test-rainbow-six-siege/

its not me, i do not own a skylake cpu..

i will try to get these benchmarks in if i can ok

So wait. You are just going by second hand info? You are not doing this yourself?

See I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys. 

So wait. You are just going by second hand info? You are not doing this yourself?

and? i gave info.. i showed benchmarks..

its not me, i do not own a skylake cpu..

i will try to get these benchmarks in if i can ok

that'd be great!  I'm intrigued, I was thinking about getting high speed ddr3 for my 4790k but I'm always looking for an excuse to shuffle hardware around.  If skylake holds that much of a difference then maybe I'll begin looking into it....

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

some

and very little from all the benchmarks ive seen...

linus has several videos on this if you look it up on his channel

Linus's videos on this subject are flawed. First of all, his memory speed is severely gimped for DDR4. My DDR4 on Skylake beats his X99 DDR4 Quad Channel bandwidth. If that does not spell out how broken his XMP timings are, nothing will. He also only showed average frame rates, which is not where this memory speed shines. Minimum FPS is where the biggest impact is measured. We need him to do another test, preferably on Z170 to test the impact of memory speed on minimum FPS in games with high CPU overhead.

The reason i said Z170, is because he could do a double test, and test DDR4 against DDR3 at the same time, without swapping CPU's out, removing a variable.

What do you say, @LinusTech, give the test another shot? We need a PC Mythbusters series, lol.

that'd be great!  I'm intrigued, I was thinking about getting high speed ddr3 for my 4790k but I'm always looking for an excuse to shuffle hardware around.  If skylake holds that much of a difference then maybe I'll begin looking into it....

once i got high speed ram for my 4670k rig i was happy with the fps difference.. worth it if your upgrading capacity as well

and? i gave info.. i showed benchmarks..

If you don't get it I'm certainly not going to spell it out to you. 

If you don't get it I'm certainly not going to spell it out to you. 

I can run this test myself if you'd like. My brother owns an i5 4690k at stock, and i have a core i5 6600T that i can OC to match his clock speeds. I can also show the difference between 1600mhz DDR3 and 2400mhz DDR3, along with 2133mhz DDR4 and 3200mhz DDR4, if it will help. 

Not true.

anymore***

Before Skylake there was never this large of a gap.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I can run this test myself if you'd like. My brother owns an i5 4690k at stock, and i have a core i5 6600T that i can OC to match his clock speeds. I can also show the difference between 1600mhz DDR3 and 2400mhz DDR3, along with 2133mhz DDR4 and 3200mhz DDR4, if it will help. 

that would be great sir!  if you don't actually mind taking the time and trouble, it'd be appreciated!

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

anymore***

That overclock.net link i provided was on X99. Everyone in that thread seemed to notice a pretty significant impact on minimum FPS. Oddly enough, 10%, just like my numbers, and @SteveGrabowski0's numbers. All of us getting the exact same % boost in minimum framerates has to be more than coincidence, no? 

Not my point. It just seems iffy to start a whole thread with second hand information from an unverifiable source is all. 

anymore***

Wait, what? What gap? Between reality and hype?

If anyone asks you never saw me.

That overclock.net link i provided was on X99. Everyone in that thread seemed to notice a pretty significant impact on minimum FPS. Oddly enough, 10%, just like my numbers, and @SteveGrabowski0's numbers. All of us getting the exact same % boost in minimum framerates has to be more than coincidence, no? 

So it's DDR4 then? 

Wait, what? What gap? Between reality and hype?

Yes? idk

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

that would be great sir!  if you don't actually mind taking the time and trouble, it'd be appreciated!

I don't mind at all. In fact, another forum user @z97 just gave me a free game in his competition yesterday, so I will be able to add Assassin's Creed Syndicate to my test repertoire. It might also help people looking to decide between Haswell and Skylake, DDR3 vs DDR4, and whether or not memory speed truly has an impact on gaming performance. More information is always a good thing in the tech community.

It's emperically proven, and it has never been that high (usually sub 5%) so there can't have been a hype.

What's proven? We have multiple arguments running. Ram speed effects gameplay and fps, my own use of high speed ram and Fallout 4 has proven this for me at least. And Skylake is WAY over hyped. At the same price go Skylake. But I wouldn't spend that much more for it over Haswell.

So it's DDR4 then? 

Yes? idk

@SteveGrabowski0 uses a Haswell Xeon on Z97. He too noticed a 10% improvement in minimum FPS. 

If anyone has any doubts about memory speed impacting minimum FPS in certain titles (Again, it is mostly observed in games with high CPU overheads) i challenge you to test it yourself. If you need help overclocking memory, i'll gladly assist in any way i can. Even the worst DDR3 kits should be capable of hitting 2133 with enough love being made to the timings. DDR4 has an even larger overclocking window, with most 2133 kits being able to hit 2800-3200 fairly easy (My $46 panram kit went from 2133 CL13 to 3200 CL15). 

http://www.overclock.net/t/1487162/an-independent-study-does-the-speed-of-ram-directly-affect-fps-during-high-cpu-overhead-scenarios

Spoiler

snip

Dude, can I call you dude?

DUDE

Ram speed effects fps in games. Fallout 4, GTA V, Ryse, all have been PROVEN by Digital Foundry and multiple forum members to suck up as much speed as you can give them. Ryse showed a 50fps improvement!!!

Linus is wrong, flat out wrong.