"Skylake isnt worth it"

Go to solution Solved by ITS-PARTY-TIME,

and might I ask, What CPU was #1?

It says i7 4790k

CPU - Intel I3-6100 Motherboard - MSI Z170-A PRO RAM G.SKILL NT Series 8gb 2400MZ DDR4 GPU - Power Color R9 380X Case - NZXT Source 220 Window Storage - 1TB Western Digital Blue PSU - Corsair CX500 OS - Windows 10 Pro

It says i7 4790k

I see that nows... bit late m8 

Linus is wrong, flat out wrong.

how about telling that to him instead of me?

this is Linus Tech Tips, Not Enderman Tech Tips, sorry :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yeah... That video is proof of my previous claims. His tests are flawed. "As you gain bandwidth, you tend to lose latency". MageTank disagrees.

Stock ram XMP:

aEi2IC0.png

Overclocked ram:

wvLUg90.png

Now, notice how both my bandwidth and latency improved? Latency is not defined strictly by Cas Latency. It is an entire formula involving clock speeds and cycles and a whole bunch of math and mumbo jumbo. Simply put: latency is a combination of both your memory clock speed and its cas latency. Even though my CL went from 13 to 15, i managed to cut latency down by over 15ns just because my clock speed improved. 

Once again, he also did not specify whether or not those were minimum or average frame rates. 

This needs to be retested, plain and simple. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

how about telling that to him instead of me?

this is Linus Tech Tips, Not Enderman Tech Tips, sorry :P

You're spreading misinformation, that's why I'm addressing you.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

You're spreading misinformation, that's why I'm addressing you.

his tests made the information pretty clear, and not misinterpreted

but hey if you have other sources for proof feel free to post them

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

why are you posting images of a benchmark

show some game performance, benchmarks are useless unless you only care about getting a higher number and paying more

Spoiler

why are you posting images of a benchmark

show some game performance, benchmarks are useless unless you only care about getting a higher number and paying more

I've asked you to look at my signature multiple times friend. I even provided a video from Digital Foundry, and an entire test from Overclock.net, which was the original basis for my test. I did not believe them until i did it. I even have skype records of me talking to fellow overclockers professing my disbelief until they made me test it. Would you like to see those as well?

his tests made the information pretty clear, and not misinterpreted

but hey if you have other sources for proof feel free to post them

how about tests with a CPU thats not as weak as an i3?

i5/i7 tests

Spoiler

i5/i7 tests

Fair point. I bought this i5 6600T to redo those tests. I will redo them with an i5 and see if anything changes. After all, i could have very well been limited by core count in my previous test.

i5/i7 tests

We done here?

Fair point. I bought this i5 6600T to redo those tests. I will redo them with an i5 and see if anything changes. After all, i could have very well been limited by core count in my previous test.

alright let me know how it goes when you run it

tag me in the topic

Spoiler

alright let me know how it goes when you run it

tag me in the topic

We done here?

???

how is that relevant...?

thats a comparison of different CPUs and overclocked CPUs

I asked for a comparison between memory speeds...

Spoiler

???

how is that relevant...?

thats a comparison of different CPUs and overclocked CPUs

I asked for a comparison between memory speeds...

Yep, got the wrong link. Second video is the one I wanted

Not true. Ram speed has a significant difference in minimum FPS in situations with high CPU overhead. Read my signature and the following sources for more information.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1487162/an-independent-study-does-the-speed-of-ram-directly-affect-fps-during-high-cpu-overhead-scenarios

You will see roughly a 10% difference in minimum FPS. If you won't take my word for it, other forum members will give their experience too. @SteveGrabowski0

Yeah, I get an almost 10% better minimum framerate in GTA V with DDR3-2400 than I do with DDR3-1600 (system shown in the sig below), and I hit that higher minimum way less than I hit the lower minimum with DDR3-1600. It is an easily noticeable difference in gaming; it's the difference between the game feeling laggy when I drive through the forest near Mt Chiliad with my DDR3-1600 kit and the game getting a smooth dip just below 60 fps in the same area with DDR3-2400. It actually made a bigger difference than I was expecting, and I was expecting it to make a noticeable difference after seeing the Digital Foundry videos showing the importance of RAM speed.

Good Job!

Here, have a cookie.

Also, Skylake is worth it, if you are coming from a Pentium D, or a Core 2 Quad.

That's like insulting the core 2 quad bruh

Yeah, I get an almost 10% better minimum framerate in GTA V with DDR3-2400 than I do with DDR3-1600 (system shown in the sig below), and I hit that higher minimum way less than I hit the lower minimum with DDR3-1600. It is an easily noticeable difference in gaming; it's the difference between the game feeling laggy when I drive through the forest near Mt Chiliad with my DDR3-1600 kit and the game getting a smooth dip just below 60 fps in the same area with DDR3-2400. It actually made a bigger difference than I was expecting, and I was expecting it to make a noticeable difference after seeing the Digital Foundry videos showing the importance of RAM speed.

This is why I tell people to test it for themselves. I did not believe it. I was one of the people that, for years, recommended slow memory because faster memory was "pointless". That has changed though, and the impact is pretty significant in certain titles. Factor in that DDR4 2133mhz memory and DDR4 3000mhz memory is only $10 difference in price at the same capacity, and it almost seems like a no-brainer if you are buying a Z series chipset already. Even if you don't want to spend the $10 difference. Just take a day out of your week to overclock ram. Even if you are not a benchmark junkie like I am, and do not want to waste time on tertiary timings. Get a cheap 2133 CL15 kit, change voltage from 1.2V to 1.35V, and change ram speed from 2133 to 2800-3200 and let the board auto train the rest. It really is that simple. 

Yep, got the wrong link. Second video is the one I wanted

ok so like 2-4fps

that classifies as "barely any difference" like I said in my first post

most people would rather not pay an extra $100 for higher speed ram for a performance difference that small

the tests MageTank did with his pentium showed had much larger differences, and he said hes going to redo those tests with an i5 and see if there is still such a big difference

so yeah, i'll wait for that before claiming higher speed ram is worth it

Spoiler

ok so like 2-4fps

that classifies as "barely any difference" like I said in my first post

most people would rather not pay an extra $100 for higher speed ram for a performance difference that small

the tests MageTank did with his pentium showed had much larger differences, and he said hes going to redo those tests with an i5 and see if there is still such a big difference

so yeah, i'll wait for that before claiming higher speed ram is worth it

What $100 dollars :huh: I overclocked my 1333mhz ram to 2200mhz, wait for it,

keep waiting,

almost there,

FOR FREEE!!!!!!!!!

What $100 dollars :huh: I overclocked my 1333mhz ram to 2200mhz, wait for it,

and how much did your latency increase?

from CL9 to what?

Spoiler

and how much did your latency increase?

from CL9 to what?

9 to 10

9 to 10

and did you notice any difference in game performance? measurable difference, not placebo

Spoiler

This is why I tell people to test it for themselves. I did not believe it. I was one of the people that, for years, recommended slow memory because faster memory was "pointless". That has changed though, and the impact is pretty significant in certain titles. Factor in that DDR4 2133mhz memory and DDR4 3000mhz memory is only $10 difference in price at the same capacity, and it almost seems like a no-brainer if you are buying a Z series chipset already. Even if you don't want to spend the $10 difference. Just take a day out of your week to overclock ram. Even if you are not a benchmark junkie like I am, and do not want to waste time on tertiary timings. Get a cheap 2133 CL15 kit, change voltage from 1.2V to 1.35V, and change ram speed from 2133 to 2800-3200 and let the board auto train the rest. It really is that simple. 

Yeah I'm not a benchmark junkie or overclocking enthusiast, I just went into BIOS to turn on the XMP profile when I bought the fast RAM kit.  :lol:

It blows me away how cheap DDR3-2400 kits are, I think my 2x8GB DDR3-2400 kit was $10 more than a similar 2x8GB DDR3-1600 kit. For 10% higher minimums in cpu heavy games it's a no brainer if you already have a Z-series board. I haven't paid as much attention to DDR4, at what level does DDR4 start getting expensive? DDR3 starts to at the DDR3-2666 kits.