New budget build for my friend

Budget (including currency): 250$can, minus case and psu if new is needed

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: JUST GAMING. COD advanced warfare, COD black ops 1. 2.3., fallout 4, payday 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R clearsky. 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Mini tower, 200 watt power supply, intel i5 6500, 2 500GB hdd
Mostly concerned with a graphics card. I think that there's a slot. if there isn't enough power I can change the case and psu.

I have all peripherals.

I am buying within 3 months, probably no earlier then 2.
1080p 75 refresh rate medium/high

I am getting my friend A new computer because his broke and is shit, he is too poor to get a new one so I bought him this basic computer. I want to upgrade it so he can play the games he likes. 

20240514_014820.jpg

20240514_011300.jpg

Annotation_2024-05-14_003122.png

1 hour ago, Skelitor said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: JUST GAMING. COD advanced warfare, COD black ops 1. 2.3., fallout 4, payday 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R clearsky. 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Mostly concerned with a graphics card. I think that there's a slot. if there isn't enough power I can change the case and psu.

I have all peripherals.

I am getting my friend A new computer because his broke and is shit, he is too poor to get a new one so I bought him this basic computer. I want to upgrade it so he can play the games he likes. 

20240514_014820.jpg

20240514_011300.jpg

Realistically, you're looking at a 1050ti level of card, or similar. I've got a G3, and it's super limited for GPU expansion. Once you go replacing the PSU, etc it's gonna be more efficient to get something in the "used AM4" range. 

2 hours ago, Skelitor said:

I have all peripherals.

20240514_014820.jpg

20240514_011300.jpg

Firstly, is that a standard atx psu, ie, does it have a regular 24pin power? If so, switching the PSU and getting a used rx570 would be my preferred way to go. and if possible a 500gb/1tb sata ssd would seriously help.

2 hours ago, Skelitor said:

2 500GB hdd

Get an SSD. Used RX5600 and RX5700XT's should be at a reasonable price point.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

2 hours ago, venomtail said:

Get an SSD. Used RX5600 and RX5700XT's should be at a reasonable price point.

Yeah I noticed that, I might be able to salvage his old one so ill wait on that for now

3 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

Realistically, you're looking at a 1050ti level of card, or similar. I've got a G3, and it's super limited for GPU expansion. Once you go replacing the PSU, etc it's gonna be more efficient to get something in the "used AM4" range. 

"Used am4"? As in a used computer? Maybe? Arround here not really though. Theres 2 computers within like 50 km and shipping would add like 50-100 can. Ill look into a 1050ti thanks

The issue with these OEM PCs is that their motherboards have proprietary PSU connectors, which means you can't just replace the power supply. 

Even though you can get an RTX 3050 that only needs 70w and runs off the PCIe slot without a cable from the PSU, with a 200w PSU, you're pushing it. 

The i5 6500 is a 65w chip, the GPU is 70w, the motherboard is 30w, the RAM is 15w, and after swapping the crappy HDDs to an SSD, that's still another 10w. 

You're still looking at very close to 200w, on a PSU that is unlikely to be capable of actually delivering it safely, and without the ability to swap. 

My advice? Look for a used AM4 motherboard with maybe an older Ryzen chip, keep the case, buy a new PSU, and try to find a used RX 5700xt.

Alternatively, if you're feeling really ghetto, buy a GPU and a secondary PSU to use just for the GPU lol. I've seen that done before.

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

1 hour ago, Aereldor said:

The issue with these OEM PCs is that their motherboards have proprietary PSU connectors, which means you can't just replace the power supply. 

Even though you can get an RTX 3050 that only needs 70w and runs off the PCIe slot without a cable from the PSU, with a 200w PSU, you're pushing it. 

The i5 6500 is a 65w chip, the GPU is 70w, the motherboard is 30w, the RAM is 15w, and after swapping the crappy HDDs to an SSD, that's still another 10w. 

You're still looking at very close to 200w, on a PSU that is unlikely to be capable of actually delivering it safely, and without the ability to swap. 

My advice? Look for a used AM4 motherboard with maybe an older Ryzen chip, keep the case, buy a new PSU, and try to find a used RX 5700xt.

Alternatively, if you're feeling really ghetto, buy a GPU and a secondary PSU to use just for the GPU lol. I've seen that done before.

A good point, but the current computer is good enough for him right now so I'll consider getting him a new one later. I could easily make a pretty cheap amd computer but its beyond my budget atm. ill try to build or get a new computer for him when he saves up for that. it sucks about the motherboard not accepting regular power supplies, that would have made this much easier and painless

6 hours ago, Skelitor said:

A good point, but the current computer is good enough for him right now so I'll consider getting him a new one later. I could easily make a pretty cheap amd computer but its beyond my budget atm. ill try to build or get a new computer for him when he saves up for that. it sucks about the motherboard not accepting regular power supplies, that would have made this much easier and painless

Yeah, the only safe thing to do here is to get a used GPU and a PSU to power it with, because that PSU isn't doing anything. 

i5 6500 is IMO still quite capable. 

See if you can find like a used 5700xt and a secondary power supply to put in there, or even outside the PC lmao.

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

After reading your comments and looking at the case it seems I either need 1, a suggestion for a powersupply that both fits/works with the motherboard and has a 24 pin. Or A suggestion for a graphics card that fits, I have enough power, and doesnt require a 24 pin.

Theres a good chance I just have to build him a second pc in the future If I want to upgrade