New Rig - Rapid Prototyping by day, Rapid FPS at night

Posted (edited)

Budget: Enough to pay the premium of having a reputable company build it and stand behind it with a multi year parts and labor warranty. We all know what these components cost and what dealing with RMAs is like. 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Games: FS 2020, Beam NG, Titanic Project 401, GTA5, RDR2, Hogwarts Legacy. Work: 3D CAD design and rapid prototyping- Inventor, 3ds Max, Autocad, Rhino, Solidworks, Blender, Photoshop. 

Other details: 

Looking at cases like the DS Velox, Xidax X-10, or similar. Maybe not quite as big as the DS Aventum. I was looking at Singularity’s rigs, but kind of a waste since I’m not going with hard tubing. 

Dark Hero

14900KS

1x 4090

192GB of 6000MHz+

Rocket 5

CPU + GPU water cooling- soft tubing

1500W+ power supply

Corsair RGB fans with iCUE controller

What SI should build it? I've looked into DS, Xidax, Xotic, Falcon, and Puget.

I can pull the trigger at any time, but let me know if its worth waiting for the 285k / 5090 at this point.

Thanks, D

Edited by Diapason8

5 minutes ago, Diapason8 said:

Dark Hero

evga z790 classified will clock 4 dimms better though i/o is better on the dark hero

good luck clocking quad rank though youll probs hit imc limit before mobo

5 minutes ago, Diapason8 said:

Delid CPU

are there any si willing to do this and back it with a warranty? im genuinely curious if there are and i assume youll be going for direct die

6 minutes ago, Diapason8 said:

how many of em?

itd make sense to watercool when theres multiple of em but if its only 1 i think you are better off sending all that cooling to the cpu considering how beefy some of these 4090 coolers get (ex strix 4090) and they can actually dissipate their heat

if its purely an aesthetic choice

Spoiler

th-3368546235.jpg.2ad7dfd13276cbf7b290b08507892654.jpg

15 minutes ago, Diapason8 said:

Corsair RGB fans with iCUE controller

there are better fans but its an aesthetic choice so refer to the pic above

16 minutes ago, Diapason8 said:

I can pull the trigger at any time, but let me know if its worth waiting for the 285k / 5090 at this point.

if you can wait then sure why not since youll get a better system but if you dont wanna wait you can totally just build it now

as for si i have no clue as im probably never gonna deal with them, id probably just pick the one that gives the longest warranty

Posted (edited)

@Somerandomtechyboi

To answer your questions- one 4090 and Maingear was offering a factory delid option with full warranty on the KS. Do you prefer Lian Li fans? Also, every PC I’ve had for the last 32 years has had an Asus motherboard.

As an aside, every EVGA graphics card I’ve owned from 2007-2019 had some issue arise within 6 - 18 months from install. The 8800GTX was the most reliable. 

Edited by Diapason8

2 hours ago, Diapason8 said:

@Somerandomtechyboi

To answer your questions- one 4090 and Maingear was offering a factory delid option with full warranty on the KS. Do you prefer Lian Li fans? Also, every PC I’ve had for the last 32 years has had an Asus motherboard.

As an aside, every EVGA graphics card I’ve owned from 2007-2019 had some issue arise within 6 - 18 months from install. The 8800GTX was the most reliable. 

i prefer 38mm thick server fans or arctic fans, whatever performs best at the lowest price for me

asus aint as good as it used to be, i mean there was some shenanigans going on with their maximus z690 with a component that was soldered backwards and then theres the am5 vsoc causing cpus to burn though their higher end has really good i/o, only real oc boards they make nowadays are the apex encore and their crosshair gene with 1dpc (2 ram slots)

i assume youve only bought high end asus? their lower end is kinda crap looking at my bios modded p5q (flashed to p5qd turbo) and p7p55 (flashed to p7p55d deluxe) and in this era gigabyte was on top for max bclk/fsb (ep45 ud3r/p, h55m ud2h) though the og x48 rampage is still the best for benching

only asus board im currently interested in is the p5k cause those seem to be pretty good for fsb otherwise im mostly looking at gigabyte particularly the x58a oc (ddr3 3000+ on all 3 channels) but those are unobtainium while rampage is common

damn that is one hell of a bad luck streak or what but oh well makes sense that youd be avoiding evga if theyre that consistent in having issues over that kinda timespan same as me avoiding most of asus lowend cause theyre trash at oc for the most part

do any of the other si offer delid? cause if its just maingear then its a pretty obvious pick, and what waterblock will you run? cause ive heard that theres some new iceman direct die block you can get for pretty cheap and it actually performs pretty well

7 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

i prefer 38mm thick server fans or arctic fans, whatever performs best at the lowest price for me

asus aint as good as it used to be, i mean there was some shenanigans going on with their maximus z690 with a component that was soldered backwards and then theres the am5 vsoc causing cpus to burn though their higher end has really good i/o, only real oc boards they make nowadays are the apex encore and their crosshair gene with 1dpc (2 ram slots)

i assume youve only bought high end asus? their lower end is kinda crap looking at my bios modded p5q (flashed to p5qd turbo) and p7p55 (flashed to p7p55d deluxe) and in this era gigabyte was on top for max bclk/fsb (ep45 ud3r/p, h55m ud2h) though the og x48 rampage is still the best for benching

only asus board im currently interested in is the p5k cause those seem to be pretty good for fsb otherwise im mostly looking at gigabyte particularly the x58a oc (ddr3 3000+ on all 3 channels) but those are unobtainium while rampage is common

damn that is one hell of a bad luck streak or what but oh well makes sense that youd be avoiding evga if theyre that consistent in having issues over that kinda timespan same as me avoiding most of asus lowend cause theyre trash at oc for the most part

do any of the other si offer delid? cause if its just maingear then its a pretty obvious pick, and what waterblock will you run? cause ive heard that theres some new iceman direct die block you can get for pretty cheap and it actually performs pretty well

@Somerandomtechyboi

Yeah only high end Asus. I've also used high end Gigabyte from time to time. A friend of mine is pushing me to get an MSI Godlike, but they're a glutton for punishment and I've heard horror stories of dealing with MSI.

Maingear is the only SI I've seen offer factory delid with full warranty, and it's only been an option for the last couple months. Maybe because Intel knows they FU on the KS with a low overhead for stability without significant cooling. 

I've only ever used EK water components. Never had a single issue on my 2014 rig or current 2019 10980XE / RTX Titan rig. 

1 minute ago, Diapason8 said:

@Somerandomtechyboi

Yeah only high end Asus. I've also used high end Gigabyte from time to time. A friend of mine is pushing me to get an MSI Godlike, but they're a glutton for punishment and I've heard horror stories of dealing with MSI.

Maingear is the only SI I've seen offer factory delid with full warranty, and it's only been an option for the last couple months. Maybe because Intel knows they FU on the KS with a low overhead for stability without significant cooling. 

I've only ever used EK water components. Never had a single issue on my 2014 rig or current 2019 10980XE / RTX Titan rig. 

high end asus is pretty decent even if pricey, usually its the i/o thats really good

high end gigabyte theyre mostly just oc boards as far as i can tell (tachyon, aorus master) and even lowend is pretty good, i mean ive already hit 3400 ddr3 on my x58a ud3r and imc limit with a w3503 so im pretty sure itll do 3600+ once i get my w3680 sorted out (refuses to bclk over 200)

msi is also pretty decent but no idea concerning rma, idk what the godlike offers to be priced that high but im pretty sure thats no oc board

as for si yeah choice is obvious since its literally the only one you can pick

ek is pricey but thats all i know, i dont plan on dabbling too much with watercooling cause it isnt as funny as destroying records on air and its not as capable as subzero phase change, maybe just build a basic car radiator loop and thats it