"Skylake isnt worth it"

Go to solution Solved by ITS-PARTY-TIME,

and did you notice any difference in game performance? measurable difference, not placebo

I found a few problem spots in Fallout 4. The idea was to make sure I saw a difference before buying a better ram kit. Best I saw was 15fps, now this is in a spot where turning your head changed the fps by 20. But if you log enough hours in Fallout you know the spots well.

So I looked in the problem direction, saved, upped the multiplier, and loaded the save. I then moved around a bit and turned my head followed by returning to the spot I had save at to confirm the change. All the way up to where my ram gave up at 2200mhz I saw fps improvements.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

ok so like 2-4fps

that classifies as "barely any difference" like I said in my first post

most people would rather not pay an extra $100 for higher speed ram for a performance difference that small

the tests MageTank did with his pentium showed had much larger differences, and he said hes going to redo those tests with an i5 and see if there is still such a big difference

so yeah, i'll wait for that before claiming higher speed ram is worth it

$100? Whew. You must be looking at those insane DDR4 4266mhz kits, or DDR3 3000 kits. Difference between DDR4 2133 and DDR4 2800 mhz is $10. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-memory-ct8g4dfd8213

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f42800c16d8grr

Difference between DDR3 1600mhz and DDR3 2400mhz is $10.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/mushkin-memory-996988e

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/pny-memory-md8gk2d3240011axrz

Also, during that video, were you looking at the minimum FPS numbers? Looking at minimum FPS, i saw a 6-8 FPS difference in minimum FPS on GTA 5 in that video. I also saw over a 10-20fps difference on Witcher 3. A solid 4-8fps difference on Assassin's Creed, A 10 FPS difference on Far Cry 4,  etc.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

That's like insulting the core 2 quad bruh

The Core 2 line up is outdated now.

It is time to let go.

(It is a good chip for Lightweight Linux Systems though)

It says i7 4790k

I see that nows... bit late m8 

Sorry I'm not used to forums, this is the first one I've used, and plan on using for a while

CPU - Intel I3-6100 Motherboard - MSI Z170-A PRO RAM G.SKILL NT Series 8gb 2400MZ DDR4 GPU - Power Color R9 380X Case - NZXT Source 220 Window Storage - 1TB Western Digital Blue PSU - Corsair CX500 OS - Windows 10 Pro

ram speed does not really make a difference in performance (unless youre using iGPU of course)

seriously?

how dense are you?

we have shitloads of evidence that it does. Then we have linus saying otherwise...

Linus vs Magetank, people on Overclockers, people on Tom's.

i know Magetank is tired of explaining it so i wont bother to tag him properly. But seriously dude. You dissappoint me.

next time try reading the rest of the topic instead of replying to the first thing you see that triggers you

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

this is a worthy upgrade for my friend who is an enthusiast with cash to spare... i would say 20fps is pretty considerable

Ugh he should've gotten a 5820k, mine was only $299 and X99 boards are cheap now

next time try reading the rest of the topic instead of replying to the first thing you see that triggers you

i reply to what i want to reply to.

i will say though, you have gotten your fair share of hammerin so far in this thread. so ill leave you alone.

Yeah... That video is proof of my previous claims. His tests are flawed. "As you gain bandwidth, you tend to lose latency". MageTank disagrees.

I hadn't seen that video. Those results are exactly what I'd expect, as Linus ran a weak GPU (660 Ti) and a strong CPU (4770k@stock), and tested Far Cry 3 with 8xMSAA and Metro LL with 4xSSAA. Those tests should in theory show no gain whatsoever since they are enormously gpu limited, I strongly doubt even the minimums change at those ridiculously gpu bound settings. 

I think the other point is DDR4 memory too. If skylake wasn't out I wouldn't be buying a 4790 knowing that my ram and CPU would outdated within a year

Lower clocked, more expensive,

Bending under some CPU coolers, crashing at full loads with no known fix

We're do I sign up

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933