Sony wants to trademark "Let's play", or streaming or something...

Nineshadow

You've heard of a "Let's Play" video, right? That's a common term for YouTube videos featuring video game commentary and gameplay. People have built careers out of this kind of content (folks like Pewdiepie, Game Grumps, Markiplier and others) and it's a fairly ubiquitous term -- which makes it all the more weird that Sony is apparently trying to trademark it. Really.

The trademark filing was discovered by users on NeoGaf earlier this week, and it describes a service focusing on the "electronic transmission and streaming of video games via global and local computer networks." In other words, its a trademark on gaming videos just like the kind the community already describes as "Let's Play" videos. This is problematic for obvious reasons -- Sony seems to be attempting to take trademarked ownership of a entertainment style created by the community itself. It's also strange for less obvious reasons: the term "Let's Play" is ancient in internet terms.

Dive deep into the history of the world wide web, and you'll find pre-YouTube "Let's Play" threads on Something Awful's gaming forum dating back over ten years. These simple screenshot and caption galleries eventually evolved into videos, then YouTube channels. Now entire businesses are based on the concept -- including one YouTube channel with over three million subscribers simply named "Let's Play." That's a lot of common use history. So why is Sony trying to trademark it?

One theory is that it's simply being registered for use in an ad campaign. That's reasonable, but the trademark specifically describes "streaming of video games." Perhaps Sony is seeking to re-brand the PlayStation 4's Twitch streaming application? At this point, it's unclear. Either way, it's probably not an issue: the trademark is in "non-final action" status, which usually means the application was sent back because something was wrong. Still, we've reached out to Sony for official comment and will let you know if we hear anything.

SOURCE:http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/08/sony-is-trying-to-trademark-lets-play-videos/

Trademark application : https://trademarks.justia.com/868/01/let-s-86801899.html

__________________________________________________________________________________________

This is pretty bad. The description is way too vague.

Electronic transmission and streaming of video games via global and local computer networks; streaming of audio, visual, and audiovisual material via global and local computer networks

That defines all of Let's Play videos, but I don't think that is what it is about. I think it's about game streaming , something like the Nvidia Shield. But then, it could also be game livestreaming , like Twitch. It could be any video of any game sent through any network. It's way way too vague.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

You heard it here first

Sony invented 

Electronic transmission and streaming of video games via global and local computer networks

RyanTheCanadian

Network Administration / Systems Management and Security / White Hat

My computer is the definition of scrapyard wars.

Yawn...

Good luck, Sony.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Pretty sure they're aiming for "Game streaming" services like nvidia shield and cloud gaming, not "lets play" videos...

At least it sounds a LOT more like they're going for those kinds of services, all hinges on that "Local computer networks" part, lets plays are not streamed locally.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I wonder what Achievement Hunter thinks of this..

(They own the YouTube channel "Let's Play")

Oh, for God's sake...

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

on the bright side, no more Minecraft Let's Play :D 

Pretty sure they're aiming for "Game streaming" services like nvidia shield and cloud gaming, not "lets play" videos...

At least it sounds a LOT more like they're going for those kinds of services, all hinges on that "Local computer networks" part, lets plays are not streamed locally.

Yeah, that sounds more like it, even though we also have had streaming of video games before. Anyway, it's a bad trademark application because it's so vague. It could be Let's Plays, streaming, or any kind of recorded video game videos sent through a network.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Sony's first step on being a patent troll

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Sony's first step on being a patent troll

The walk down the path blazed by a little known company called "nintendo" begins...

I make bad life decisions.

Yeah, that sounds more like it, even though we also have had streaming of video games before. Anyway, it's a bad trademark application because it's so vague. It could be Let's Plays, streaming, or any kind of recorded video game videos sent through a network.

I'll have to take a look at the full patent, but pretty sure the source either has confirmation bias, or just wants to stir the waters with a catchy headline.

Either way, this patent won't pass so long as at least 5 minutes of research is done, and even if it does it will be challenged all over the place, you're right that that particular phrasing is far too vague and leaves too much to be interpreted.

The walk down the path blazed by a little known company called "nintendo" begins...

Can't forget apples wonderful contribution of pinch to zoom, rectangles with curved edges, and black lines of the sides of screens!

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

it would be like filling a patent for the human lungs

then I could sue anybody who uses them

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I was going to post this earlier but waited cause there was no article to quote and make the post nice, I saw it here: https://trademarks.justia.com/868/01/let-s-86801899.html

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

-.- really, GL with that though

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Patent trolling at its finest...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If "candy" and "saga" can be trademarked, this shouldn't be a problem for Sony to obtain

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I'll have to take a look at the full patent, but pretty sure the source either has confirmation bias, or just wants to stir the waters with a catchy headline.

Either way, this patent won't pass so long as at least 5 minutes of research is done, and even if it does it will be challenged all over the place, you're right that that particular phrasing is far too vague and leaves too much to be interpreted.

It's not a patent.

HA hopefully this will be rejected as it should since you can't trade mark a widely adopted subject unless the concept is unique (apple computers vs a regular apple), and if it isn't rejected we can be assured sony bribed someone and should see them as the crap company they are.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Why have all corporations gone full retard?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I would be surprised if they didn't get the patient, to be honest...

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

The idea of trying to patent a well know phrase that has existed for a decade is stupid in the first place.  Like why, why do you need this Sony?

HaHa, KeK

Is that like a crappy league ripoff?

I make bad life decisions.