AMD Reveals its new cooler for Zen

Castdeath97

well, 2016 is already gonna be the year of the SSD, so maybe 2017 can be the year of amd's comeback.

or going into the dumpster depending on how good Nvidia Pascal is.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

i was at a lan party where someone had a stock cooler on an fx8350, and well.. i couldnt hear my laptop over his tower cooler on the other side of the room...

did he bring portable air conditioner with him aswell or did his 8350 raise temp by 2°C?

1 more year of AMD bulldozer and amd processors would bring global warming :D

well, 2016 is already gonna be the year of the SSD, so maybe 2017 can be the year of amd's comeback.

how do you mean year of SSD? 750 series vnand? I like XPoint more.

2016 will be year of VR and Graphical revolution.

Yeah.  They'll probably get above Ivy-bridge IPC, around Haswell.  They'll have to have some aggressive pricing.

if they have haswell ipc they better be clocked higher, or amd's gonna be continuing to limp behind...

that said, a haswell-ish IPC with amd fx's overclocking potential would be sexy for flight simulator X

not bad, makes me wonder if my noctua nhd9l will be compatible with the new socket

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

did he bring portable air conditioner with him aswell or did his 8350 raise temp by 2°C?

1 more year of AMD bulldozer and amd processors would bring global warming :D jk lol

he has since gotten an aio watercooler, and now has the slowest watercooled cpu i know...

i think part of it was him being a moron, and the other half is bad luck on the silicon lotery...

or going into the dumpster depending on how good Nvidia Pascal is.

i'm not touching the gpu side of things, i have my own ideas, and my own €50 per month savings on power by going for nvidia...

(belgian power cost is a joke...)

if they have haswell ipc they better be clocked higher, or amd's gonna be continuing to limp behind...

that said, a haswell-ish IPC with amd fx's overclocking potential would be sexy for flight simulator X

There's no gurantee it will OC like the FX series in the past.  OC-ability goes down with each shrink, and they're making a big shrink from 32nm.  2017 will be the year of AMD, but it'll either spell a comeback or, mind the pun, them going up in flames.  The fanning of the fire, if you will.

he has since gotten an aio watercooler, and now has the slowest watercooled cpu i know...

i think part of it was him being a moron, and the other half is bad luck on the silicon lotery...

you better advise him to buy i3 6300 and ashrock board asap (for OC), as long as he can sell his proc at around i3`s price with its mobo for same price.  BTW i edited my original post.

haswell IPC would be fine. i mean who doesnt want hyperthreaded 4690k for 130$ ? Its basicly 4790k... for half the price, no? i dont think AMD will charge 100$ extra for hyperthreading or 130$ extra for 2 cores more...

Not bad for a stock cooler. I wonder if AMD will put some brackets for Intel sockets :P That'd be cool.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

cool so zen is goig to be hot?

probably but not as hot as a 9590 is my guess

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

The last system I built using AMD's stock cooler... did not sound that loud. For average use, I'd bet that cooler is actually fairly good.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

its gonna be the new hot thing of 2016 ;)

(still quietly hoping they'll blow intel out the water IPC wise...)

oEhVvjZ.gif

Still not silent enough doe :/

as noise doesnt scale linearly, you can expect to run Zen processor quietly.

ever heard noctua industrial fans at 2000 rpm?  They are not quiet either.

Still not silent enough doe :/

It's seems like it was running at a 100%

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

reading your post i expected a nice 92 or 120mm cooler on that spinning nice and quiet...

nope, still more noisy than my stock intel under torture...

thats cuz stock intel doesnt make noise. instead intel stock cooler just causes CPU to thermal throttle.

this way it stays quiet. that is the secret sauce behind it.

fuck intel stock cooler.

Something about naming a cooler "wraith", a howling spirit.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

NOICE

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

thats cuz stock intel doesnt make noise. instead intel stock cooler just causes CPU to thermal throttle.

this way it stays quiet. that is the secret sauce behind it.

fuck intel stock cooler.

The stock cooler for my 4790k is plenty noisy. Like extremely loud. And yeah the CPU still throttled a little bit, while reaching up to 90c. Useless cooler.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Looks like they revived the old stock Phenom II coolers...

07.jpg

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Design looks nice, buts it is still loud.

Lower pitch but still high db.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

A 5400 RPM 92mm Gentle Typhoon was their stock cooler fan? Interesting choice...

Didn't know it was THAT loud though.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

reading your post i expected a nice 92 or 120mm cooler on that spinning nice and quiet...

nope, still more noisy than my stock intel under torture...

The fan speed is at 100%. I doubt it's louder and will almost certainly performance better considering intel coolers are just a little piece of aluminium besides the ones with the copper base. This new Zen cooler has proper aluminium fins, copper heatpipes and a much larger fan.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

1 more year of AMD bulldozer and amd processors would bring global warming :D

how do you mean year of SSD? 750 series vnand? I like XPoint more.

2016 will be year of VR and Graphical revolution.

Nope, VR is dead. The Oculus Rift is $600 before shipping and taxes, coming nearly to $800 with them. Like I said, 2016 is not VR's year. Prices will be in a good position by 2018.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd