AMD Reveals its new cooler for Zen

Castdeath97

DDpT1Vv.jpeg

Now with Zen around the corner it not surprising that AMD is finally pulling the ageing old stock cooler in favour of a new design

This new design will be called the Wraith Cooler and promises improvements in thermals and noise

This cooler is bigger than their previous design and features a larger fan, which runs at a much lower speed and provides a higher static pressure in order to keep this heatsink much cooler than it's older generation counterpart. 

This heatsink is expected to be bundles with high end CPUs and APUs from AMD's Bristol Ridge and Zen ranges of CPUs, giving AMD users a much better stock cooler experience before they more to larger aftermarket coolers for overclocking. 

AMD has released a video demonstrating the new cooler in action 

Source: http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/cpu_mainboard/amd_have_revealed_their_new_wraith_cpu_stock_cooler/1

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

overclocking out of the box, very nice. is fan replaceble? it would be nice.

Looks like their old cooler, but the AMD logo is now etch to the side, unlike their current one where its just a cheap sticker that's crooked. :P

When it comes to stock coolers, I like AMD ones.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Now if they revealed real performance numbers as compared to Skylake or Haswell, that would be interesting. Coolers? I think it's fine, but most people will replace them anyway with aftermarket solutions, because face it - it's pretty loud anyway. 

Sweet. Much better than anything Intel ships!

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Looks nice, AMD's stock coolers usually are a bit better than Intels. But they both still stuck pretty hard.

that's because they need to be better, heheheheeheheheheheheheheh eh

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

reading your post i expected a nice 92 or 120mm cooler on that spinning nice and quiet...

nope, still more noisy than my stock intel under torture...

Well I did clearly say *promises*. I have no clue when it comes to CPU coolers since I don't own a tower.

Pascal laptops guide

cool so zen is goig to be hot?

They promise it isn't but don't trust promises!

Pascal laptops guide

reading your post i expected a nice 92 or 120mm cooler on that spinning nice and quiet...

nope, still more noisy than my stock intel under torture...

You do understand that the noise levels were increased to show the difference? Do you really think AMD stock cooler sounds like a leaf blower?

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

You do understand that the noise levels were increased to show the difference? Do you really think AMD stock cooler sounds like a leaf blower?

i was at a lan party where someone had a stock cooler on an fx8350, and well.. i couldnt hear my laptop over his tower cooler on the other side of the room...

Yeah it does seem like they made it push 100% fan speeds.

Pascal laptops guide

I've seen the old cooler reach RPM of over 6000. If the new one tops at around 2000, it will be good.

If they showed the RPMs too it would have been more informative.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

its gonna be the new hot thing of 2016 ;)

2017 maybe

(still quietly hoping they'll blow intel out the water IPC wise...)

hah

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

2017 maybe

well, 2016 is already gonna be the year of the SSD, so maybe 2017 can be the year of amd's comeback.

its gonna be the new hot thing of 2016 ;)

(still quietly hoping they'll blow intel out the water IPC wise...)

Yeah.  They'll probably get above Ivy-bridge IPC, around Haswell.  They'll have to have some aggressive pricing.