AMD Reveals its new cooler for Zen

Castdeath97

Looks like they revived the old stock Phenom II coolers...

Did you mean revised ?

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Looks like they revived the old stock Phenom II coolers...

~snip~

Those things were/are the bomb

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

The fan speed is at 100%. I doubt it's louder and will almost certainly performance better considering intel coolers are just a little piece of aluminium besides the ones with the copper base. This new Zen cooler has proper aluminium fins, copper heatpipes and a much larger fan.

pretty sure all modern intel coolers have the ciopper slug in the middle, and they have propper (although, round is not as ideal) aluminium fins.

the thing is, if you dont oc an i7 does fine on a stock cooler (barely, but it does)

if amd comes with such an overengineered stock heatsink, it makes me very curious about what the purpose is.

PS: i've wired a spare intel cooler to 12v before, while i cant directly say more quiet, they're certainly a nicer sound.

you better advise him to buy i3 6300 and ashrock board asap (for OC), as long as he can sell his proc at around i3`s price with its mobo for same price.  BTW i edited my original post.

haswell IPC would be fine. i mean who doesnt want hyperthreaded 4690k for 130$ ? Its basicly 4790k... for half the price, no? i dont think AMD will charge 100$ extra for hyperthreading or 130$ extra for 2 cores more...

As much as AMD needs money and wants to be the competitive option instead of just the cheap one, I imagine their pricing won't be nearly as low as some of you would like to think.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It looks very beefy, I hope it just means we won't necessarily need a third party cooler to oc a little and not that zen will be hot as hell

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I guess zen is going to be an overclockers dream. Ha

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

i was at a lan party where someone had a stock cooler on an fx8350, and well.. i couldnt hear my laptop over his tower cooler on the other side of the room...

^^^ I have to agree here. I ran a stock cooler on my 8320 for like a year (the fan finally died) and it was the loudest thing I've ever heard from a computer. Before that I had a A10 running stock cooler, and that shit was INSANELY loud. Like, hair dryer couldn't be overheard through it because it's loud.

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

thats cuz stock intel doesnt make noise. instead intel stock cooler just causes CPU to thermal throttle.

this way it stays quiet. that is the secret sauce behind it.

fuck intel stock cooler.

What?  The intel stock cooler is pretty good for non OC'd systems.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

pretty sure all modern intel coolers have the ciopper slug in the middle, and they have propper (although, round is not as ideal) aluminium fins.

the thing is, if you dont oc an i7 does fine on a stock cooler (barely, but it does)

if amd comes with such an overengineered stock heatsink, it makes me very curious about what the purpose is.

PS: i've wired a spare intel cooler to 12v before, while i cant directly say more quiet, they're certainly a nicer sound.

Pentium, Celerons etc come with the standard aluminum heatsink with no copper case. Also the aluminum piece just has cut outs, I wouldn't call them fins.

The current AMD stock cooler that has been used since the Phenom II days performs significantly better than Intel's stock cooler with copper bases. The main thing wrong with it is the fan is too small and runs at too high of a RPM so it's very noisy especially at high RPM.

I also wondered about the purpose of this seemingly over engineered heat sink but it's likely just an update/revision that is mostly addressing the noise issues while slightly tweaking the heatsink design.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

If that's the sound at load then it's not that bad at all. 

AMD is on a bit of a roll here... improved graphics drivers, getting more performance from their existing cards, rumoured to release a new socket and Carrizo chips in Q1 2016, reported huge power/performance improvements with Polaris... still a long way to go on the road to recovery, but they've got a bit of positive momentum behind them now for a change.

Xeon E3-1241 @3.9GHz, 1.07V | Asus Z97-E/USB 3.1 | G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 | MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB @1350MHz/2150MHz, 1.09V/.975V | Crucial MX100 256GB | WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM | EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold | CM Hyper 212+ w/ Noctua F12 | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Windows 10 Retail

What a useless cooler haha sounds like a hairdryer

^^^ I have to agree here. I ran a stock cooler on my 8320 for like a year (the fan finally died) and it was the loudest thing I've ever heard from a computer. Before that I had a A10 running stock cooler, and that shit was INSANELY loud. Like, hair dryer couldn't be overheard through it because it's loud

imagine overclocked 8350 +  2 x stock r9 290

sue AMD For hearing loss

they should just put an AIO watercooler for their high ends.

They have.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

reading your post i expected a nice 92 or 120mm cooler on that spinning nice and quiet...

nope, still more noisy than my stock intel under torture...

That fan is at FULL load. Outside of a case, not tied down stopping vibrations. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

As much as AMD needs money and wants to be the competitive option instead of just the cheap one, I imagine their pricing won't be nearly as low as some of you would like to think.

I think the assumption is that while Zen will be a huge leap in performance compared to Excavator, it will almost certainly fall short of Skylake, and probably Haswell as well.  So they still won't have pricing power and will have to be aggressive on price.  An unlocked 4-core for $150-175 would be a huge winner and is within the realm of possibility.

Xeon E3-1241 @3.9GHz, 1.07V | Asus Z97-E/USB 3.1 | G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 | MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB @1350MHz/2150MHz, 1.09V/.975V | Crucial MX100 256GB | WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM | EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold | CM Hyper 212+ w/ Noctua F12 | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Windows 10 Retail

I think the assumption is that while Zen will be a huge leap in performance compared to Excavator, it will almost certainly fall short of Skylake, and probably Haswell as well.  So they still won't have pricing power and will have to be aggressive on price.  An unlocked 4-core for $150-175 would be a huge winner and is within the realm of possibility.

What the hell are you saying. YOU DONT KNOW, you cant say how zen will perform.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

That fan is at FULL load. Outside of a case, not tied down stopping vibrations. 

so was my intel fan i wired straight to the 12 volts.

What the hell are you saying. YOU DONT KNOW, you cant say how zen will perform.

That is what the word "assumption" means. 

It isn't very likely that Zen bridges the gap between Excavator and Skylake in the first iteration.  As a frequent purchaser of AMD products, I hope they do, but it's pretty unlikely.

It isn't very likely that Zen bridges the gap between Excavator and Skylake in the first iteration.  As a frequent purchaser of AMD products, I hope they do, but it's pretty unlikely.

How is it unlikely. AMD in the last few years have not disappointing. Piledriver was great. 

Did you mean revised ?

No, I mean revived - as in brought back to life. Looks like all they did was change the fan and add a plastic cover. Though, I guess you could call that revised. :P

Why would you say it's "pretty unlikely"? You haven't seen the Zen architecture - they could very well match/exceed Haswell. We won't know until it's released. But I certainly wouldn't make the assumption that it's "pretty unlikely". I'd say it's "quite possible" based on what we know thus far. 

I know many of us have the Bulldozer/Excavator etc. performance and characteristics ingrained in our minds, but Zen will be a completely new architecture on a much smaller manufacturing node. To assume lesser performance because of past architectures on larger nodes isn't really logical.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

What?  The intel stock cooler is pretty good for non OC'd systems.

tell that to my 4790k                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

No, I mean revived - as in brought back to life. Looks like all they did was change the fan and add a plastic cover. Though, I guess you could call that revised. :P

Why would you say it's "pretty unlikely"? You haven't seen the Zen architecture - they could very well match/exceed Haswell. We won't know until it's released. But I certainly wouldn't make the assumption that it's "pretty unlikely". I'd say it's "quite possible" based on what we know thus far. 

I know many of us have the Bulldozer/Excavator etc. performance and characteristics ingrained in our minds, but Zen will be a completely new architecture on a much smaller manufacturing node. To assume lesser performance because of past architectures on larger nodes isn't really logical.

and that is a fair point, since from 32nm to 14nm FF+ its like THREE NODES....

THREE DIE SHRINKS IN ONE GENERATION....

Piff...living with a stock cooler on a 8320 and the new AMD cooler is like a "212 Evo".