CES 2016: Samsung's Family Hub Smart Fridge

At LTT when it comes to Samsung, we think of their smart phones, laptops, and SSD. But did you know they make other things too. At this year's CES, they introduced a brand new smart fridge that's different from their previous models. Unlike their previous one that sports a puny 8 inch screen, this new one features a gigantic 21.5 inch touch screen, with built in proximity sensor that lights up the screen where your near it. It that can also stream music from the built in Pandora app, set food reminder list, sync family schedules, and even order food with the Mastercard groceries app. The fridge has a 4 door design that's similar to their Chef Collection model, where the upper right side features their CoolSelect+ that can convert that section as a freezer or fridge. It even has a built in cameras where it will take a snapshot of what's in the fridge every time you close the door. So you'll be able to see what else you need to buy, with the Samsung fridge app right on your Android or iOS device. Samsung is also planning to incorporate Amazon's Alexa cloud based AI with this smart fridge so you can directly communicate with it, much like their Amazon Echo smart speaker. It's schedule to launch Spring of this year but Amazon's Alexa might come later on down the road. Cost of fridge? $5,000 dollars.

http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-family-hub-refrigerator/

98hrg2.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Nice that companies are pushing this stuff. It's the kind of thing where people will make fun out of it now, but not be able to live without later.

I don't see the speakers. A fridge should have some decent sound to it, it's pretty big.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

This is dumb IMO, just build it on a TV, not the fridge

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

Nice that companies are pushing this stuff. It's the kind of thing where people will make fun out of it now, but not be able to live without later.

That may just be the truth. I don't get why at this point, because we have smartphones that can do a lot of the given tasks already. Do we really need to innovate fridges?

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

you think harrison ford can fit in that thing?

AMD FX-8350|8GB DDR3|GTX750TI|2TB HDD|CX-430 PSU|

it's actually neat. i would actually buy one, if i had the money. that think would look and perform well in our kitchen.

I don't see the speakers. A fridge should have some decent sound to it, it's pretty big.

you can probably link it to your speaker system if you wanted, but idk.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Smart fridges, I'm fucking done! Who needs a bloody TV in their fridge, this is getting ridiculous! 

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

It is a nice feature indeed, but I don't trust Samsung with this. They've shown us that they can't provide updates for the expected lifespan of their phones (2 years), so what will happen to a fridge with an expected lifespan of at least 5 years? This especially worrying, as this fridge has apparently access to your credit card.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

it's actually neat. i would actually buy one, if i had the money. that think would look and perform well in our kitchen.

you can probably link it to your speaker system if you wanted, but idk.

yeah, but for 5K it should already have some sound. Of course you will be able to link it, bluetooth is a given in that thing and wi-fi.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Smart fridges, I'm fucking done! Who needs a bloody TV in their fridge, this is getting ridiculous! 

you sound like an old person

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I see what you mean. Next we'll be putting the jam on scones BEFORE the cream. 

Ummmmmmm, I do that already. xD

Get off my lawn

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

I'm still trying to figure out who will rule the world government.  Samsung, Google, or Apple?  

On the note of this fridge - I want one.  The Mastercard app will enable me to never go to the horrors that is a public market.

you sound like an old person

Ohhhh you youngenss! But seriously I can't ever imagine using my fridge so much to warrant needing a TV in it.

Ohhhh you youngenss! But seriously I can't ever imagine using my fridge so much to warrant needing a TV in it.

And I can't ever image myself buying a 9590

lol

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

lol

I have a passionate hate of monopolistic and anti-competitive actions, I outright refuse to buy anything from Intel or Nvidia.

I'm still trying to figure out who will rule the world government.  Samsung, Google, or Apple?  

On the note of this fridge - I want one.  The Mastercard app will enable me to never go to the horrors that is a public market.

i would much rather have google if i didn't have a choice, rather than those two blockheads.

I have a passionate hate of monopolistic and anti-competitive actions, I outright refuse to buy anything from Intel or Nvidia.

but why?

*insert but why gif*

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

lol

Oh dear double post. :I

How about not buying from any manufacturer then...

Because obviously you have been ignoring AMD's marketing for the past decade xD

Spoiler

because we have smartphones that can do a lot of the given tasks already. Do we really need to innovate fridges?

"We already have computers, why do we need internet on our phones?"

50% of me thinks its amazing, 50% of me think its utterly stupid

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Did they not learn that the last smart fridge didn't last... Lg made it I believe

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

but why?

*insert but why gif*

It corrupts the free market, Intel's outright bribery of PC manufactures crippled AMD in the early 2000's, they were practically paying OEM's to use their CPU's because AMD's were simply better, Intel  

gave Dell up to $1Bn a year. Nvidia doesn't seem to care about their costumers and is propriety in nature. I simply don't want to support that.