Microsoft: We don't care about Windows Phone's market share and here's why

AlTech

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella has come clean as to why they aren't concerned with Windows Phone's market share.

This is what he had to say when interviewed by Business Insider:

The company would be doing a "disservice" to itself by measuring it's success solely by market share.

He goes on to say that:

"if you think of this more like a graph, these devices are all nodes.Sometimes the user will use all of these devices...sometimes they'll use only one or two of our devices and some other platforms - so be it"

"We want to make sure that we are completing the experience across all of these devices"

he also told Business Insider that they can continue to work on Windows Phones even if very few people use them because people use Windows 10 or Office or Xbox - and they're all one and the same.

Kudos to you microsoft show them Apple fanboys and Android people what you're all about. If you use Windows on Your PC you might as well use it on your phone for the best possible experience. 

11.png

universalapp.jpg

win10-across-devices-960.jpg

Windows-10_Product-Family.jpg

source - http://uk.businessinsider.com/satya-nadella-on-windows-10-mobile-marketshare-2015-12

@GoodBytes This is quite interesting. Maybe they might try to tempt them over to switch over once all the apps are there.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I think Satya's a good guy. I like him.

Could see him in the pub, would buy him a pint.

Except he's made some not so smart decisions. Like making Cortana cross platform and Office cross platform. If he didn't people would have to run Windows desktop or a Windows Phone for it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Except he's made some not so smart decisions. Like making Cortana cross platform and Office corss platform. If he didn't people would have to run Windows desktop or a Windows Phone for it.

In my opinion, they are both smart decisions. Having more ubiquitous Microsoft products will only make them more attractive to customers.

In my opinion, they are both smart decisions. Having more ubiquitous Microsoft products will only make them more attractive to customers.

It means Windows Phones don't really have much going for them. would you buy a windows phone over an android phone based on the fact that you can get Microsoft services on both? No unless you're a fan of Windows Phones. In which case it didn't matter that it was cross platform

I think Satya's a good guy. I like him.

Could see him in the pub, would buy him a pint.

Screw that....I'd be asking him to buy me a pint.

i love my lumia and i hope everyone else will eventually join in using windows phone its a great os apart from lack of apps wich is why nobody buys them

Exactly! IT's a great OS except for some missing apps. We have a catch 22. Developers don't want to make apps for them because there aren't enough users and users of other devices won;'t join because they're aren't enough apps.

It means Windows Phones don't really have much going for them. would you buy a windows phone over an android phone based on the fact that you can get Microsoft services on both? No unless you're a fan of Windows Phones. In which case it didn't matter that it was cross platform

Thing is that Office is their cash cow.

Also, antitrust is a big thing. Since Microsoft's got a monopoly on useful Office apps, they'd be opening themselves up to a huge shitstorm if they failed to support more than their own platforms.

Thing is that Office is their cash cow.

Also, antitrust is a big thing. Since Microsoft's got a monopoly on useful Office apps, they'd be opening themselves up to a huge shitstorm if they failed to support more than their own platforms.

Why? This is how business traditionally run. It's how Google  runs and nobody stops google!

Why? This is how business traditionally run. It's how Google  runs and nobody stops google!

Pretty much all Google products are multi-platform.

If Google suddenly only ran on Chromebooks would that be a good move for them? I suppose it's a similar story with Windows Phone 10.

Pretty much all Google products are multi-platform.

If Google suddenly only ran on Chromebooks would that be a good move for them? I suppose it's a similar story with Windows Phone 10.

They have a rather ridiculous hatred over Windows Phone in case you didn't know.

They have 1 half assed "Google" app for Windows Phone. They bought Maze but then made it unusable and refused to let Microsoft build a proper youtube app.

open up the platform so we can install what ever we want

also use intel's soc instead so we can have fun with it more

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

They have a rather ridiculous hatred over Windows Phone in case you didn't know.

They have 1 half assed "Google" app for Windows Phone. They bought Maze but then made it unusable and refused to let Microsoft build a proper youtube app.

I wouldn't say it's a hatred as such. There's very little demand from Windows Phone that's all (although I'd love to see an app)

I suppose it's like Microsoft not developing Office for Linux. Some will buy it but it's not enough to justify the cost of development.

open up the platform so we can install what ever we want

also use intel's soc instead so we can have fun with it more

Microsoft doesn't make open source OSes in case you didn't notice.

And The surface Phone will have an Intel Atom X3 SOC

I wouldn't say it's a hatred as such. There's very little demand from Windows Phone that's all (although I'd love to see an app)

I suppose it's like Microsoft not developing Office for Linux. Some will buy it but it's not enough to justify the cost of development.

Nah, They do have genuine hatred for it. If they didn't they would let microsoft build a proper youtube app. It costs them nothing to allow it.

Microsoft doesn't make open source OSes in case you didn't notice.

And The surface Phone will have an Intel Atom X3 SOC

what i meant was open it up as in i cant install anything i want like android

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Nah, They do have genuine hatred for it. If they didn't they would let microsoft build a proper youtube app. It costs them nothing to allow it.

If microsoft didn't violate google's terms of service they would let them keep the app, you don't see google going after metrotube now, do ya?

At this point, only way i'd use a windows phone device again is when it becomes as configurable, as customizable as android

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

whelp there's Microsoft taking over the world this year then. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I see where they're going with this, they're trying to create an apple-like ecosystem where you can buy most devices you may need from them and easily have full interdevice interaction. Unfortunately I am not a fan of closed ecosystems like these, since I can achieve the same functionality in other ways - but for the average person this would be all right. Nevertheless I don't see the value of the xbox platform at the moment (and I never will unless they axe the internet fee) and windows on phones is simply lacking compared to android and ios when it comes to application variety. Sure, a lot of people only use a few applications, however there are some pretty notable ones that are missing.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Regardless of how good Windows Phone is or not, this is just empty PR talk. Would they still say that Windows Phone market share doesn't matter if said market share wasn't so inconvenient? Of course not, they would be proud if they had a respectable market share and they would cite market share numbers again and again. It's the same with Xbox, the sales numbers were not that great, so they issued a statement that they don't care about how many consoles they sell and that they will stop to publish console sales.

With Windows 10 on the other hand, it almost seems that they post new figures every week. So market share is relevant if and only if it's convenient?

I know they just want to present themselves in a good light, but this kind of self-potrayel is similiar to a child that, after learning that it can't have something it wants, says "Well, I did't really want it in the first place."

Regardless of how good Windows Phone is or not, this is just empty PR talk. Would they still say that Windows Phone market share doesn't matter if said market share wasn't so inconvenient? Of course not, they would be proud if they had a respectable market share and they would cite market share numbers again and again. It's the same with Xbox, the sales numbers were not that great, so they issued a statement that they don't care about how many consoles they sell and that they will stop to publish console sales.

With Windows 10 on the other hand, it almost seems that they post new figures every week. So market share is relevant if and only if it's convenient?

I know they just want to present themselves in a good light, but this kind of self-potrayel is similiar to a child that, after learning that it can't have something it wants, says "Well, I did't really want it in the first place."

Of course. But the key point is that they are not doing like BlackBerry/RIM did: Panic.

When a company panics, this is where they start to call the press every time, and releases products real quick, and all half ass, and you just auto destroy yourself.

You can see that the company going.. "you know what, let's take our time, Universal App interest is growing, and that is for the first time apps in Windows Phone is growing ('cause the app are cross platform with Windows 10), let's take our time with with Windows 10 Mobile and juts make it real good. Let's polish that OS, let's work on features."

They are so many universal apps that are showing up in the past few months, it is incredible. If it continues, I might do a thread on this growing trend.

I mean we have: Netflix (although the Windows 10 Mobile version isn't out yet, despite universal app, probably due to the DRM that needs to be worked on for ARM processors, but they said it is coming. It does have Cortana integration), Bank of America (yes, a bank! - coming soon), ING Bank (Romanian only), SirusXM (coming soon), Readit, Jamendo, Twitter, The Weather Channel, Sphero’s Star Wars BB-8, Wacom Bamboo Paper, Music Creation Tool, Team Viewer, TuneIn Radio, Uber (complete with Cortana integration), Plex, Wall Street Journal, and more. Not to mention unofficial third party apps to fill the lack of official apps.

Of course, MANY apps are missing, but it is seriously nice to see interest. I think it will really pick up, if people uses these apps on their desktop, laptops, and Windows 10 powered tablets.

i dont use the windows store for apps so this doesnt help also though you shouldnt just look at market share as a standard for success its still very important

i dont use the windows store for apps so this doesnt help also though you shouldnt just look at market share as a standard for success its still very important

Well revenue is the most important factor. But with the current market share of Windows Phone, it is unsustainable for Microsoft in the current state.

But I think Satya knows this, but they will try to make bring success with the Surface Phone, so 1 year from now.

And I think they can. The Surface team has proven to be very talented in making interesting product, plus by that time Windows 10 Mobile should be polished OS, and probably Microsoft will make sure that all the core apps for large number of people will be there or mostly there, catering people that are looking for a change from what they use. If Microsoft is able to pull that off, and at least get 5-10% market share, it will be a huge success for the company, and should be sustainable.

get me a x86 windows phone and im in

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.