Creator of Debian threatens suicide over police brutality

SIGSEGV

This doesn't make any sense. This story is highly unlikely and I doubt it's true at all. The death of the person in question is very sad, but I doubt he had good mental health.

Every time I look on the internet it seems that everyone lives (wants to live) in a closed community without any police and government. I don't. People can rant about the police as much as they want. I know that where I live the police is always ready, in times of need they are the people who have never let me down.

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

This doesn't make any sense. This story is highly unlikely and I doubt it's true at all. The death of the person in question is very sad, but I doubt he had good mental health.

Every time I look on the internet it seems that everyone lives (wants to live) in a closed community without any police and government. I don't. People can rant about the police as much as they want. I know that where I live the police is always ready, in times of need they are the people who have never let me down.

not live without, just live with better cops. If you look at the situation in the US, it's no wonder ppl rather have none then all these bad ones.

I... I don't even... how...? why...?

This confuses me. It confuses me because he could have sued the crap out of them, he had the money for it. It confuses me because if he was committed to raising awareness, the best way would have been to be around for as long as possible shouting at the top of his lungs.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This story is very strange, but he actually committed suicide.. that's very sad, RIP Ian Murdock.
If he didn't die i would say his account was hacked, but he did...
If he was far enough into depression to commit suicide his story was probably not coming from a emotionally stable standpoint but I am curious to know the full story because there is probably some truth in it, as in every story.

But wouw, people saying he should livestream his dead or generaly making fun of someone after his dead... that is really unrespectful..

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

Maybe I'm just extremely cynical and have seen too many TV shows but the only source for this is the debian website (which Ian I assume could have access to) and a blog I'm unfamiliar with (which currently isn't working)...there's no actual news sites, no police reports, nothing out there that is verifying this. Maybe it's just extremely early and the news hasn't made the rounds yet but right now I'm thinking this is Ian pretending just to make a point, or literally faking his death to get out of any charges (if that part of his rant was correct).

Mortified by the disrespect in this thread. Somebody talks about committing suicide and you all just wail on him for being mentally ill and wanting attention? It may be hard to have empathy for emotions you've never experienced, but at least try. Social media like twitter is rarely positive in the face of these kinds of things, but I cant imagine the kinds of comments this was getting helped.

RIP Ian Murdock

Damn...

Appears to me like the man was having a psychotic episode. Too late to do anything about it now though.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

This turned up on 8chan, he was definitely arrested:

CXgX9VEWEAArJ8b.png

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

i smell 99% lies, if you were beaten by cops in a democratic country you could ask for medical inspection and sue the cops for a shit ton of money, he must have done something or resist arest or being mentally unstable and cause a drama scene

Ha, that's funny. I live in a small town, and I don't entirely trust the police. They can do pretty much anything without fear of repercussion, because even the chief is corrupt. If I were to sue one of them for police brutality or corruption, do you think I'd live to tell about it? Do you think my family would be safe? Even if every single one was hauled off to jail, they could still get some of their friends in the town to make our lives hell. I've even seen some people at my high school wearing shirts that say: "(Chief of police) is (My county's) Chuck Norris" Yeah, that's true, if Chuck Norris is a dick. I'd love to stop it, but I don't see any way to do so without affecting the safety of myself or my family.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Why would you call someone who is on the brink of suicide for various reasons, selfish?

Have you ever gone outside of your mom and dad's house to see the world? Talk to people? Do you like to think people should just "grow up" when faced with depression?

My mom says this all the time..I fucking hate it

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Sounds like he is in shock and isn't thinking straight. Well hopefully he doesn't kill himself and can tell us what happened in a coherent way.

EDIT: too late apparently

Debian founder Ian Murdock killed himself. He went insane after an arrest and announced his suicide on Twitter last monday.

>Debian GNU/Linux founder Ian Murdock has died. He was 42.

>Murdock, who lived in San Francisco, is best known for founding the open-source distro in 1993. He had just started working for tech startup Docker in the city.

>On Monday afternoon, he posted a string of distressing and erratic tweets, claiming he had been arrested at his home by police, accused of assaulting an officer, taken to hospital, and later bailed. He also threatened to kill himself. After people reached out to him, Murdock appeared to calm down, and vowed instead to clear his name. Murdock died that night. His Twitter account has since been disabled.

Debian:

https://bits.debian.org/2015/12/mourning-ian-murdock.html

Docker:

https://archive.is/YKilB

https://blog.docker.com/2015/12/ian-murdock/ – deleted

News article:

https://archive.is/eJ7YH

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/30/ian_murdock_debian_founder/

His Twitter rant:

http://pastebin.com/yk8bgru5

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Sounds like he is in shock and isn't thinking straight. Well hopefully he doesn't kill himself and can tell us what happened in a coherent way.

To late

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Too late

Yeah just saw it, damn ...

RIP, without him we woudn't have Ubuntu today

RIP.

Its sad how people make fun of people that are threatening to kill themselves. Like Keemstar was making fun of Bashurverse when he was saying on twitter that he was gonna kill him self. 

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

Wow that's insane he's dead

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

Why would you call someone who is on the brink of suicide for various reasons, selfish?

Have you ever gone outside of your mom and dad's house to see the world? Talk to people? Do you like to think people should just "grow up" when faced with depression?

Suicide IS selfish, it is a permanent solution to a temporary problem that only harms the people who love you. Depression is something that people need to work through, there is no quick simple fix, such as "growing up," but people can get over it.

RIP Ian Murdock.

Suicide IS selfish, it is a permanent solution to a temporary problem that only harms the people who love you. Depression is something that people need to work through, there is no quick simple fix, such as "growing up," but people can get over it.

RIP Ian Murdock.

I agree. Look at Ian idk if this is too soon but did he really kill himself over 1 altercation with the police. He could have lived through it and actually raised awareness and shit. Maybe he did it so he could get his name everywhere. I didn't hear his name until now..

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

I agree. Look at Ian idk if this is too soon but did he really kill himself over 1 altercation with the police. He could have lived through it and actually raised awareness and shit. Maybe he did it so he could get his name everywhere. I didn't hear his name until now..

I don't know enough about him to say anything about him other than RIP. I won't make assumptions.

RIP Ian, you're achievement brought me my first experience with the Linux world, thanks to you i'm the computer geek that i am now and one of the many reasons i decided to go to university.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

RIP Ian Murdock.

You've got to be joking

You've got to be joking

How could any of that be joking? The people who kill themselves aren't in pain anymore, instead their family and friends are in pain. It's selfish. Otherwise I probably would have back when I was an emotional depressed teenager.

You're right. They don't get to decide what to do with their lives. YOU GET TO DECIDE.

Who is really the selfish one here? 

You're right. They don't get to decide what to do with their lives. YOU GET TO DECIDE.

Who is really the selfish one here?

The person deciding to throw away their lives when it can and will get better and making their families suffer.

Unless you're terminally ill it's fucking stupid. Life can get better, but there will be plenty of pain along the way.

While this makes sense on a surface level, it doesn't do a damn thing for people actually experiencing depression or trying to "work through it." It effectively amounts to an empty statement appearing empathetic to most people but is extremely disrespectful to those who are depressed or are contemplating suicide. Please think about that for a moment.

I know, I just don't really know how to describe it. It's what I did, and there really isn't a good way to describe it. Working through it can be surrounding themselves with people who care about them, getting help, picking up distractions such as hobbies.

I wasn't trying to devalue what people go through, it's just hard to describe, sorry for any confusion. I worked through it by surrounding myself with friends and picking up hobbies, eventually I became happier. I don't know how to describe what I did as anything other than "working through it" however I could. It wasn't meant to come out as an empty statement.

So a millionaire programmer decides to kill himself because he got arrested and we're told that "After people reached out to him, Murdock appeared to calm down, and vowed instead to clear his name. Murdock died that evening."

>inb4 conspiracy theories

>Ian Murdock

>Iam Murdered

Coincidence?