22.7% of web-surfers block ads - 43% increase per year in Adblock use

TopWargamer

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/08/21/use-of-ad-blocking-is-on-the-rise/

In a report released this week based on data collection from 220 websites using the company’s services, PageFair says that 22.7% of web surfers are blocking ads. Looking at a smaller subset of sites for the past 4 months, the company says that the use of ad blocking is growing at a rate of 43% per year.

Ad-blocking-by-site-PageFair.jpg

Ad-blocking-by-browser-PageFair.jpg

What are your opinions on blocking ads and Adblock?

COMIC SANS

I understand it's nice to block ads, but it isn't really fair to websites and people on youtube to offer there services and websites then don't get ad revenue in return.

I use adblock because I love the clean browsing experience, if I want to support someone, I would rather donate (like I've done with LTT) than have to deal with ads.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

WE ARE WINNING THE WAR

ps

adblock doesn't block non-intrusive ads by default

and you dont need to use adblock plus

most 3rd party router software have adblock built in

they didnt "create" it

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I just installed it today, no barracuda networks, i don`t care about voip phone service, let me watch YouTube without having to juggle volume

I only allow ads on web site I support. Take it as a donation. On website that are paid per click, I click on an add or two that semi interests me, for support.

I encourage everyone to do the same.

I use it but I just white-list websites that i know won't bother me with ridiculous and annoying ads.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I used to use it, but the benefit it offered me was greatly outweighed by the fact that I usually want to support any site I visit.

CPU: Intel 3570k (4.3) MOBO: Asrock z77 extreme6 GPU: Gigabyte Windforce HD 7970 RAM: 4x4 Gb Samsung Ultra Low Profile DDR3-1600mhz CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Storage: 250GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD (Boot), 3TB Seagate Barracuda Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (black)  PSU: Corsair TX750M  Peripherals: Rosewill

rk-9000, Gigabyte M8000x, Sennheiser PX 200-II, Asus VS247H-P 23.6" 1080p TN panel

I damn well hate adblock it is just destructive.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

i only use it for youtube, seriously i dont want 5 mins of ads for a 3 min vid

Character artist in the Games industry.

i only use ad block because i hate the ads at the start of a video if youtube didnt have those stupid ads i wouldnt use adblock at all so youtube is the reason i block all ads on sites and stuff because i cbf to turn it off whenever i go on a site.

I whitelist people I wish to support. But other than that I don't want to see ads I'm not going to click them, I never click ads I'd prefer it if websites that need the money to have a donation button for people who use adblock, or subbable for YT channels. I'd happy throw a couple quid every now n then for people who produce good content. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

I can deal with almost any ad as long as it isn't 30 seconds or longer and\or cant be skipped and\or are much louder than the content so that I have to fiddle with the volume every time I open a video and sadly, that shit has become quite rampant on YouTube. I want to support the people I like but I don't want to be needlessly inconvenienced every single time I open a video. Therefore, Ad-block has become a necessity. I am however looking into ways to just block the obstructive ads and not the non intrusive text based ones and the like.

The sites I visit don't have intrusive ads.  I don't mind them.

Then again I'm not a youtube champion.

I can see the need for it because some websites are ridiculous, like ads on tv that play at 2x the volume of regular tv.

We wouldn't have adblock if advertising companies weren't scumbags.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/08/21/use-of-ad-blocking-is-on-the-rise/

What are your opinions on blocking ads and Adblock?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Well, using adblock is kind of like dowloading music on piratebay. It's destructive but so tempting as well.

I am okay with adds becuase I would rather not "steal" my content

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

Well, using adblock is kind of like dowloading music on piratebay. It's destructive but so tempting as well.

wtf no, don't listen to anything this person has to say.

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

Ad's are fine, when they are kept in check. IMO They must be limited in size, location, should not slow or hinder browseing/watching, flash to catch attention, include more vibrant colours than the website they are displayed on, and of course have no audio. I'm sure I could think of other things that ADs should adhere to, but that's a basic idea of the ads which really annoy me.

The internet moves at tremendous speeds, clicking from one page to another in an instance and getting overwhelmed with the wealth of information is an every day occurrence. So why the hell do we have to come to a complete stop on various sites to watch an ad before we can continue. It's like putting up stop signs in the middle of a freeway. Sure it only takes a few seconds to stop and then continue on, but at the pace which information moves and how tenacious we are with increasing the speed of information, that 15 second stop sign seemingly takes forever. The ratio by which it slows content is absurd.

I think it's ignorant to believe that without ad support there would be no online content such as Linus Tech Tips. While yes in this world they are supported on the poorly regulated set up of ADS. But in a world without ads, they would be supported by sponsors and their related content and networking groups between the sponsors. Product placement in the background of videos as such.

ADs should be integrated into sites, videos, and content by the content owner, and not outsourced to large companies.

Right now the way people are used by ad companies is a disgrace in my opinion. If you are using or viewing "free" content, it's because you are product and not a consumer of that content. You've become a statistic that is being sold to large ad companies. Using Adblock is sort of a way out of being a product.

A quote from one of my previous posts in another adblock debate thread.

I am not a product to be sold to the highest bidder of an advertisement firm looking at statistical data for clicks and views.

I fully support the sponsor based and product placement type of advertising which get added to video content and have don't push for the interactivity of pay per click/view time ads. I will gladly watch a "commercial" style ad at the start of the WAN show if it's introduced and integrated into the content and not a forced twitch tv pre-roll ad.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

I've now been using adblock for so long now that When I use a computer without it and I see a website that I use regularly I'm like wtf is this I don't remember there being ads here. Then I remember I have adblock.

I Don't mind ads that aren't obtrusive and in your face. Like the intel one on this forum, or ads using the "White" space on the side of a webpage. I do not like ad's that are; a video, a flash animation, an interactive ad or an ad that disguises itself as a button... e.g. download. These are the reason I use adblock and the reason I will continue to. 

As for using Ad's on Linus' videos. I had him white listed until he started to pre-roll his own ad's. I don't think its fair to have a forced ad on a on a video just to watch a pre-roll ad. I know he gets paid for those sponsored ad's whether I watch them or not. But they're not annoying obtrusive or completely irrelevant to what I'm watching so I'm actually happy to watch them. 

Don't even get me started on the fact that youtube ad's are so much louder than the actual videos. Seriously... HEADPHONES... smh.

Anyway that is my rant.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

How the hell is using adblock anything like downloading music on ThePirateBay? Do you think switching TV channel during the commercial breaks "kind of like downloading music on ThePirateBay" as well?

Anyway, I use adBlock and whitelist sites I like know don't have that annoying ads and I like the website (such as Anandtech).

I have to say, ads have gotten a lot better in the last few years though. Anyone remember the "say something!" flash ad? It was some stupid smiley pack for MSN and every time you hovered over it, it started playing a loud "SAY SOMETHING!"

I use adblock, white list certain sites.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

How is not watching someone's content equivalent to stealing someone's content?

on YouTube, this rate is almost 50%... anyone earning $$ from YT could relate to this... so annoying