22.7% of web-surfers block ads - 43% increase per year in Adblock use

TopWargamer

If adblock had an option to disable it for certain youtube channels, then I would probably disable it for Linus and Tek Syndicate as I'd be willingly donate anyway. 

on YouTube, this rate is almost 50%... anyone earning $$ from YT could relate to this... so annoying

Especially tech channels. I'd imagine that over 60-70% of Linus's viewers use adblock. Maybe not so much on his TechQuickie channel. 

How is not watching someone's content equivalent to stealing someone's content?

Because if nobody watches ads, then advertisers will stop using the web to advertise and people like Linus won't get paid for the work they do.

So of course it is not exactly like illegally downloading an album but it is kind of like it, as in the long run, it prevents money from being generated.

Because ads become more intrusive and anoying i'm forced to use adblock.

But most importantly the main reason i mostly use adblock is because stupid malware that gets thru all these stupid flash exploits on some one's computer.

Adobe flash has to die........

Then they'll pass through HTML5, and now you'll be stuck.

In any case, this problem doesn't (well extremely rarely) on trusted sites. So you can white list those, so that you can support them.

The reason for this, is because they do affair with a trust ad company.

i only use it for youtube, seriously i dont want 5 mins of ads for a 3 min vid

I don't know if this is a region thing but any 5 min add will have a skip button. The only forced ads I get are tops 1m long.

I don't think I've ever clicked on an add.. so no point showing them to me.  That's why I use ad block now. 

I use it, but I whitelist any pages such as YouTube or Twitch.tv. If I find a new page where I want to support the creators, I will whitelist that page.

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

I like the ads on Linus' videos. They are done by Linus himself and they are short. Perfect combination! More people should do these ads. They cannot be blocked! :)

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

I think most people use adblock simply because of the YouTube video ads. If there were just ads on the side where the big blank area is then no one would care but Google doesn't. Instead it forces the ads on you. I don't like that and it's a waste of my time so with adblock I don't waste time watching adverts that are not even aimed at me. I don't block LTT Forum or any other website I hang around on other than YouTube for the reasons above. However if the YouTubers themselves put ads in their own videos I would be ok with that. Linus Does this which is cool.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Added graphs to the OP. Should have earlier, dunno why I didn't.

>.>

COMIC SANS

Because if nobody watches ads, then advertisers will stop using the web to advertise and people like Linus won't get paid for the work they do.

So of course it is not exactly like illegally downloading an album but it is kind of like it, as in the long run, it prevents money from being generated.

It's not 'kind of like it' at all imo.

Illegally downloading an album is theft of someone's property.

Not watching an advert before free content is not theft of someone's property.

Advertisers will never abandon the web. If adblocking became a big problem they would make it illegal, because companies have the money to do so.

Especially tech channels. I'd imagine that over 60-70% of Linus's viewers use adblock. Maybe not so much on his TechQuickie channel. 

*especially on gaming channels*

adblock user since it came out even before the chrome store exited and i wont stop using it, though today i disable it on youtube in general but those damn pop ups are getting on my nerve already but i admit the few site i frequently visit have the app fully disable like LTT reason is like 5 years ago when i was 14 and had no money whatsoever i pirated games and the occasionally movie (im not proud of it but when you live on country whit one of the worst economies in the continent you tend to gravitate to any available options) but those damn torrents site have the same add repeated like 6 time on top of each other + pop ups of the SAME FREAKING ADD as big as the browser tab eventually i got pissed the second i heard of addblock dint even think it, google it, installed it and bam it solve the most annoyance i had whit the internet and i'm happy whit it i wont stop using it (unless they achieve that stupid campaign "ads for addblock" campaing which IMHO is as stupid like saying potato's grows on trees) anyway this is my opinion and i respect those that have a very different view

PS: those curious i live on south america and is not brazil, out of it i wont say more + hence the horrible grammar -__-

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I made a rant about adverts in the post about adblock getting adverts for adblock.

I basically viewed my opinion there and a lot of people agreed.

I hate adverts that annoy me. I don't mind having a little bar pop up in the middle of a video that I can close if it really is annoying me. But I don't want to be forced to watch a video from 30 seconds to 1 minute or have to wait 5 seconds to press the skip button on a longer advert. One reason for this is bandwidth. I don't have the greatest download speed and if I am on my phone, I sometimes have to wait 2 minutes to watch a video as that's how long it takes to buffer properly. If there's an advert in there too, that'll be doubled to 4 minutes. It's just a waste of my bandwidth and a waste of my time.

I am a despiser (is that a word) of adverts but I do understand that people/companies need to get their income from somewhere. For that reason and just because Linus and the team are awesome, I donated quite a bit of money to them yesterday. (More than I'd pay for a brand new game, anyway)! I feel that they deserve my money far more than certain game companies (no, not just EA).

All I can say is: Firefox users know how to roll! Haha.

I don't use Adblock. I don't mind supporting content creators, and taking a little time out of my day helps them out. I also don't mind people that use AdBlock but still donate to the content creator.

TV is a completly different topic to me. I have no problem fast forwarding through commericals. Unlike a Youtube 5 second one these are 6 minutes.

Yeah, that was partially my argument in my other post. I don't watch TV because I hate adverts. I use things like Youtube to get my entertainment to avoid adverts. If I want to watch an hour long program on TV, I will probably get 40 minutes of program and 20 minutes of adverts. That's ridiculous in my book. Youtube used to be OK with it's little advert bar that popped up once or maybe twice in a video but when they started putting adverts in front of the videos I just got fed up. The adverts on Youtube may be much shorter at a max of 1 minute per video, but let's say you're watching a 2-3 minute video with a 1 minute advert. That's near the same ratio of content to adverts. It's ridiculous. I'm fed up of adverts and wish the economy could be kept going by other means.