What happened to LTT?

Scia

I agree with 70-80% of this

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I agree with some parts. I think I actively started watching Linus' videos about a year and a half ago. At first the advertising at the end of the video didn't really bother me because I had seen the video and could close it no problem. But they they started doing advertising at the start and I had to ffw to where the actual video started and then in some longer videos they also put advertising in the middle and I just couldn't anymore. 

I'll still watch a Linus video if I want to watch a review video about a certain product, but I'm not watching every single video anymore. Instead I became pretty active on the forum here.

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

I agree with some things but not with others.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

He said that the videos were put into parts to keep the audiences attention. I personally rather longer videos.

He also stated in somewhere that the builds were to be "ultimate" for some reason that i can remember. I am on the fence for this one as i prefer the ultimate builds as well as Budget builds.

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

He said that the videos were put into parts to keep the audiences attention. I personally rather longer videos.

He also stated in somewhere that the builds were to be "ultimate" for some reason that i can remember. I am on the fence for this one as i prefer the ultimate builds as well as Budget builds.

I honestly prefer Austin's system of 300$/400$/500%/1000$/4k$ builds

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I honestly prefer Austin's system of 300$/400$/500%/1000$/4k$ builds

What about Paul's Hardware builds of the month. It's just theoretical builds but it contains both ultimate and budget builds and sometimes he builds it. So its a win-win situation

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

I understand what you mean in regards to the community going downhill. We do our best to keep the forum as clean as possible, but as you can well imagine with users signing up everyday, we can't see every problem, and rely on users to report things for us.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Forums have been poopy for a loooooong time now. 

However, making a post for this is just kinda silly. Not interested anymore? No one really cares,

tumblr_mxx24a7wMc1qa3pfso1_400.gif

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

@LinusTech

@Slick

I agree with this almost 100%. :/

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I think Linus has to expand his portfolio (maybe new chanels) to offer different content for different groups of people. I really enjoyed the quick and dirty unboxings in the old days and I'd really like a dedicated series for such content, maybe even with another host.

Another idea would be just new hardware reviews and benchmarks (CPUs, GPUs SSDs etc.)

A third could then be the reviews if innovative or interesting tech items, which linus seems to prefer lateley.

Just clearly seperate your content and produce more of it (in total 2 or more vids a day). That's probably Linus' plan anyways but there you go...

who cares...

Honestly I kind of prefer the simpler videos, I dont want to watch 3 hours of him explaining how a cooler works or going through every cable on a power supply

I just want him to go "hey look heres a cool product, it works great" 

There are channels that spend an hour digging into menus if you want that, I like the Linus and team can deliver concise and to the point videos about a product, yes sometimes they could do MORE information, perhaps they do too many videos, but honestly the videos are long enough as is

I will admit, I watch it more for entertainment and to see cool stuff, more than I watch for actual information 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

My biggest issue is the dragging on of certain series, it's now been nearly 2 months of SCW 3, and we've gotten like... 7 episodes...?

I understand they are a business and want to drag it out to make more money off it, but I really don't like it.   By the time I see the finale, I almost don't even remember the rest of the episodes.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Linus addressed exactly this point in the last WAN Show.

If you want the "full fat" explanation then there are plenty of other sources available for that. Linus is following his own methodology which is where he wants to take his company. If you don't like it then that's cool, go and find another creator who caters to your expectations, I mean you can't please everybody all of the time.

Asking him to change his view of LMG in order to meet your expectations is just plain selfish however, he has built LMG up from zero to almost 2 million subs on his own (OK so not entirely on his own) and now he is not only one of the biggest YouTube channels in existence but he is also an industry figurehead too. He can't be doing things too wrong, can he?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

My biggest issue is the dragging on of certain series, it's now been nearly 2 months of SCW 3, and we've gotten like... 7 episodes...?

I understand they are a business and want to drag it out to make more money off it, but I really don't like it.   By the time I see the finale, I almost don't even remember the rest of the episodes.

Linus has said multiple times that it takes a whole week to go through all the footage and edit 1 episode, that's the only reason why it's a weekly release.  It's only their third foray into this, they are still experimenting on what works.  It is after all, their most popular and newest series.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I 100% agree with everything. 3/4 years ago when i subscribed to LTT i was learning stuff, they included information that mattered, you would learn something from the videos etc etc. Not anymore and while ive not said anything ive not watched an ltt video in a while because none of it interests me. LTT has alienated its original audience sadly.

Forums have degraded in quality massively, 90% of people that i would talk to a year ago would be knowledgeable on most IT subjects, those that werent wouldnt reply with a stupid comment. With the exception of consoles and apple the forum would be mature and reasonable about everything, these days however its horrid, extremely high level of troll responses and the news has dropped in quality massively. I used to do news because i had time, now i dont and no one has been able to make news since i stopped and since victoria secret got banned.

Ive invested a ton of time here and its a real shame to see where its going. 

I'll miss your input Scia, yet another one of my friends leaving the forum, the number of early people that are still here is starting to dwindle and that truely is sad. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Linus addressed exactly this point in the last WAN Show.

If you want the "full fat" explanation then there are plenty of other sources available for that. Linus is following his own methodology which is where he wants to take his company. If you don't like it then that's cool, go and find another creator who caters to your expectations, I mean you can't please everybody all of the time.

Asking him to change his view of LMG in order to meet your expectations is just plain selfish however, he has built LMG up from zero to almost 2 million subs on his own (OK so not entirely on his own) and now he is not only one of the biggest YouTube channels in existence but he is also an industry figurehead too. He can't be doing things too wrong, can he?

The issue is that when he was growing many teenagers subbed to him, over time they have become adults but youtube has become less mature and linus has slowly whether he knows it or not catered more for that audience. it makes sense because kids have more free time hence they can watch more videos.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

The issue is that when he was growing many teenagers subbed to him, over time they have become adults but youtube has become less mature and linus has slowly whether he knows it or not catered more for that audience. it makes sense because kids have more free time hence they can watch more videos.

Any business that wants to be successful has to cater to the largest common denominator, that's just common sense. Remember that Linus has a lot of mouths to feed, not only his wife and child but also each of his employees and their families too.

He has to cater for the people who are going to give his company the most money, be it from sales, ad revenue or any other form of income otherwise there would be 10+ people looking for another job and one failed business under administration.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

tl;dr version - "ltt has more videos with less quality and some ads. WAN show is basically the same but with ads and some foolishness, and the forums just got sucky"

AMD A10 7700k APU @ 3.8 GHz  /  Dem Integrated R7 graphics  / 8 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1800 MHz RAM  /  1 TB WD Black HDD  /  ARC Midi R2 Case  /  ASRock FM2A88M Pro 3+ 

Logitech MX Performance / Razor Blackwidow Ultimate

I watch TechQuickie more than LTT

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I recognise what the OP is saying but as LTT grows its inevitable that Ads become more prevelant to pay the bills. How big is the team now? If you dont like it there are plenty of other tech youtubers who do not operate this way.

Personally I skip all the ads on Youtube and do not watch each video and have seen the channel become a infomercial for tech products as they rarely say anything negative.  

The OP is brave saying what he has, the LTT Forum community can be very toxic (almost as bad as the people who troll Reviewtechusa) and some will defend everything Linus does

They are drawing out Scrap Yard wars 3 because its the reason why most people watch Vessel

I don't think it's that bad, to be honest. The guy has to bring bread on the table somehow, after all.

Although binge-watching scrapyard wars would have been fun.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I agree with probably 70ish% of this.. I miss the actual computer parts videos... I know they still do them just not like they use too..

well they have been getting larger and larger soooooooo i would expect this to happen to anyone in the same shoes 

I agree.

They have reached such a headcount and size that they have to do this stuff