Microsoft brings Windows 10 to the Xbox

Microsoft is bringing Windows 10 to Xbox today, marking another important strategic movement for the company. 

By unifying all of its offerings around Windows 10, Microsoft is positioning itself as a lean and nimble company and, most importantly, one that is developer friendly. 

In a briefing, Microsoft explained to Business Insider just what bringing Xbox into the Windows family will mean for the company. 

"Xbox is going to be powered by Windows 10," said Jeremy Korst, the general manager for Windows and Devices at Microsoft. "When you think about that on a roadmap perspective for Windows overall, us having this common platform across all these devices really allows us to drive innovation so much more broadly." 

This is an important move for both Xbox and Windows. "We will be able to bring more gaming to the PC," says Korst. "Now that we have this common platform, over time it allows us to drive this forward." 

Universal Windows Apps are "built once and then deployed across all Windows 10 devices," according to Korst. "We are the only platform that can do that." 
Korst gave an example of a Universal Windows App built by Virgin Atlantic that allowed the user to "see" around a first class flight. "What this app really is, is an app built upon a universal platform that allows for an immersive experience," he said. "The most immersive experience [Virgin] have so far is on these [HoloLens-style] goggles which attach to the Lumia 950." 

Neither Apple nor Google have the wherewithal to implement anything close to Microsoft's Windows 10 offerings, although Google is trying. 

How would this work on Xbox? "In a gaming instance, in the future, someone could write a game that runs across all devices but wants to take advantage of some of the specific performance enhancements of Xbox, you have an even more immersive experience." This is also true for HoloLens, the augmented reality headset Microsoft plans to launch next year.

Beyond Xbox, Microsoft is getting a lot of enterprise developer interest. "Now, instead of having to develop a different app for a smartphone, a different app for a PC, a different app for a tablet, [businesses] can do it across the board and the platform does the work in terms of optimizing for the screen its on." 

Source: http://www.techinsider.io/microsoft-brings-windows-10-to-the-xbox-2015-11

This is some great news for Windows users and Xbox owners.

There is finally an established ecosystem that drives your phone, PC, tablet or Xbox.

Developers will have an easier time to work around the Windows 10 issues as a whole unified system.

PC vs. Xbox multiplayer will also push them forward now that the market has expanded

It's almost as if the Xbox is really showing the HTPC prowess they told us it would be (sort of)

what about existing xbox games?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

So even less excuse for a bad port now?

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Wait so is it based off Windows 10 or is it actually Windows 10?

It's going to run the actual Windows 10 with some adjustments for controller support, I believe 

1 problem that cross platform gameplay might bring to consoles Is the rampant cheating that Is happening on the PC. As a console/pc gamer I would not want the console platform games to be plagued by cheating as much as PC Is, consoles already pay for online play.

"Xbox is going to be powered by Windows 10," said Jeremy Korst, the general manager for Windows and Devices at Microsoft.

Universal Windows Apps are "built once and then deployed across all Windows 10 devices," according to Korst.

This better mean that you can get all XB1 exclusives on Windows 10, even if you have to use the windows store. In fact, that'd probably be the best way to get people to actually use the windows store. 

If it doesn't let you have XB1 exclusives on PC, then Microsoft is either:

A. Specifically blocking this even though it would technically work just for the sake of XB1 sales.

or

B. Lying about how universal apps work.

or 

C. Xbox "powered by Windows 10" actually has no meaning whatsoever and is just marketing.

It seems obvious to me that if

Xbox One = Windows 10 and Windows 10 = Universal apps, then Xbox One will have universal apps.

But Microsoft doesn't care about logic anyways, so I'm placing my bets on option "C".

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

This better mean that you can get all XB1 exclusives on Windows 10, even if you have to use the windows store. In fact, that'd probably be the best way to get people to actually use the windows store. 

If it doesn't let you have XB1 exclusives on PC, then Microsoft is either:

A. Specifically blocking this even though it would technically work just for the sake of XB1 sales.

or

B. Lying about how universal apps work.

or 

C. Xbox "powered by Windows 10" actually has no meaning whatsoever and is just marketing.

It seems obvious to me that if

Xbox One = Windows 10 and Windows 10 = Universal apps, then Xbox One will have universal apps.

But Microsoft doesn't care about logic anyways, so I'm placing my bets on option "C".

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I like this. I think. But LMFAO at this line:

someone could write a game that runs across all devices but wants to take advantage of some of the specific performance enhancements of Xbox, you have an even more immersive experience.

so Xbox is a PC now? lol

does this mean I can wipe the drive and install linux? LOL

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Loooooool this is comedy gold.

"This is an important move for both Xbox and Windows. "We will be able to bring more gaming to the PC," says Korst. "Now that we have this common platform, over time it allows us to drive this forward."

So they only way I can interpret that is "PC might not be not getting not Halo games in not the future." Because PC arleady has ALL gaming with exception to very few console exclusives from Sony and Microsoft owned game developers. (I leave out Nintendo, there are many working emulators available for their games, even one for the Wii U)

"In a gaming instance, in the future, someone could write a game that runs across all devices but wants to take advantage of some of the specific performance enhancements of Xbox, you have an even more immersive experience."

What 'performance enhancements' does the Xbox have over PC? None. So... What is this 'more immersive xbox experience' you are speaking of? Because PC does everything Xbox does, and does it all better and even more.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Wait so is it based off Windows 10 or is it actually Windows 10?

It's going to run the actual Windows 10 with some adjustments for controller support, I believe 

I can't confirm this, but I think this is going to be a Windows 10 derivative like how Windows 10 mobile is. The underlying stuff is there, but the included features and UI is going to be totally different on the Xbox specifically.

still look like crap compared to Blades

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Are we talking about a full fledged windows OS or a dumbed down version (similar to windows phones)?

1 problem that cross platform gameplay might bring to consoles Is the rampant cheating that Is happening on the PC. As a console/pc gamer I would not want the console platform games to be plagued by cheating as much as PC Is, consoles already pay for online play.

Wait there's cheating on PCs? I kid I know that there's hackers in PC games but I also know that I havent seen a hacker in 2-3 years. You're delusional if you think hacking doesnt happen on console. At least PC gaming has hack-detection in many cases.

I like this. I think. But LMFAO at this line:

Can Kinect work on PC? That might be what they're talking about.

pc has bad ports because of varying hardware.

Bullshit. If varying hardware was an issue, they would optimize for a 750 ti and then everything better would run in godmode. That is such a retarded argument.

So they only way I can interpret that is "PC might not be not getting not Halo games in not the future.

I think you forgot a few not.

Are we talking about a full fledged windows OS or a dumbed down version (similar to windows phones)?

Dumbed down version.

Can Kinect work on PC? That might be what they're talking about.

Both generations of Kinect are available for PC, although they're mostly meant for developers.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

So its more than the heavily modified version of Windows 2K that the Original Xbox had.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL