Reason not to buy an AMD R9 390 over a GTX 970 at this day and age? THIS:

i_build_nanosuits

GAMEWORKS

Set back and enjoy the film in HD

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

" Assassins creed "

150px-Topkek.png

Pretty neat. I wonder how watered down it would be on AMD gpu, hopefully not so much- even better if AMD can optimize their drivers.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

I'd still get the 390

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

snip!

snip!

Watch the movie.

Pretty neat. I wonder how watered down it would be on AMD gpu, hopefully not so much- even better if AMD can optimize their drivers.

I'd still get the 390

i don't know, but my prediction: The reviewers WILL pit the 970 against the 390, but they will do it running MSAA, high shadows instead of PCSS, and they will not be running HBAO+...because AMD GPU's can't render any of that shit...so YES the R9 390 will most likely output slightly more frames with those settings but if you render TXAA, PCSS and HBAO+ on the GTX 970 then it will look better than it ever will on ANY AMD gpu AND it will perform a lot better at the same time, like it's the case in MANY AAA TITLES that have come out recently that support PCSS shadows, TXAA and HBAO+.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Yeah so that next year you enjoy the terrible frame rates when Nvidia decides not to care about the maxwell architecture same as they did with kepler this year.

Anyone wants a 780 that performs as a 960 in project cars?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Yeah so that next year you enjoy the terrible frame rates when Nvidia decides not to care about the maxwell architecture same as they did with kepler this year.

I hate how nvidia abandons their older cards when a new gen comes out. Otherwise their cards are solid though.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Watch the movie.

i don't know, but my prediction: The reviewers WILL pit the 970 against the 390, but they will do it running MSAA, high shadows instead of PCSS, and they will not be running HBAO+...because AMD GPU's can't render any of that shit...so YES the R9 390 will most likely output slightly more frames with those settings but if you render TXAA, PCSS and HBAO+ on the GTX 970 then it will look better than it ever will on ANY AMD gpu AND it will perform a lot better at the same time, like it's the case in MANY AAA TITLES that have come out recently.

Or those gameworks are going to cripple the game like HairWorks did with The Witcher 3 and nobody will use them. And then, more frames win ^^

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Watch the movie.

I did, nothing ground breaking. HBAO+ is cool. There are fair amount of alternatives for TXAA, and that shadow thing looked weird. I don't know, maybe it looks good while in game, but from video I didn't liked it.

But then again. R9 more VRAM and more performance. Are you really going to cripple yourself just for one or two games? Question is if it's even worth it to enable gameworks settings with 970. Is 970 capable of ultra+gameworks 1080p 60fps?

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

i have a GTX 780 myself and i do play project cars at 1440p and the game run on ultra settings at 60FPS+ consistently...my kepler GPU is getting better performance with every gameready driver nvidia release so not only did they decide to care about maxwell they are still making improvements on kepler...and i CAN run PCSS shadows, TXAA and HBAO+ in the games that supports it.

I hate how nvidia abandons their older cards when a new gen comes out. Otherwise their cards are solid though.

they don't WTF?! where why...where did you get that idea from?!

Or those gameworks are going to cripple the game like HairWorks did with The Witcher 3 and nobody will use them. And then, more frames win ^^

no they don't, PCSS shadows in GTA5 works wonderfully, TXAA is the BEST form of anti-aliasing with much less of a performance hit than MSAA and it looks even better...hairworks in witcher 3 was not very good...who love spaghetti hair...and witcher 3 is the most BORINGGGGG game i have ever seen...

HBAO+, PCSS shadows and TXAA...those are the nice ones and they are starting to use them more and more in games...and they do wonders.

Is 970 capable of ultra+gameworks 1080p 60fps?

with TXAA and PCSS shadows and HBA0+ at 1080p yes i'm sure it will. That stuff will run better than MSAA, high shadows and SSAO+...it will also look better.

Gamework....should not be THE reason to get a GTX 970 over a R9 390 when not all games have the feature/function/support.

Nevertheless everyone has a different taste for games so I rather recommend a card that generally performs just as good if not better with more value to it AKA the R9 390. 

Also...the...3.5GB thing. I am just mentioning this, it is a consideration factor for new buyers.

Not to mention I am on the line jumping from my GTX 980 to maybe an R9 390x (or two) or R9 Fury...if EKWB ever makes some waterblocks that are for non-reference design cards...

Still not acceptable when you have to ditch your $600-700 top of the line card every time a new one comes out just to get comparable performance. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

but assassin's creed? this piece of shit. One piece of shit game makes you not get a better card? wow.

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

Still not acceptable when you have to ditch your $600-700 top of the line card every time a new one comes out just to get comparable performance.

that is complete BS posting, never happened...never will... WTF?! where you kids get this idea from?! for example the GTX 780ti is still a very powerful card it's still faster than the R9 390 and in recent titles it's still almost as fast as a GTX 980...what the hell?!

Dude, did you even watch the LTT video regarding this? 

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

but assassin's creed? this piece of shit. One piece of shit game makes you not get a better card? wow.

IMHO it looks like a FABULOUS game and i will CERTAINLY play it from the begining to the end and enjoy every minutes of it!

and ALSO, those features mentionned in the video that you've probably not even took the time to watch...are being used in MANY other current AAA titles and will be even more widely spread in FUTURE AAA titles...so NO, not just assassin's creed.

sooo much this...this is the video i should have linked to answer @afyeung and @Castdeath97 and @Coaxialgamer !

thanks for posting this!

they don't WTF?! where why...where did you get that idea from?!

Witcher 3 release, Kepler architecture-based GPUs failure, 960 was beating a 780Ti. Basically what happened to a 780Ti, even now it's not nearly as good as it still should imo, ought not to happen to a card that expensive merely 2 years ago (There even are some games that a 780Ti gets beaten by a 970 right now)

no they don't, PCSS shadows in GTA5 works wonderfully, TXAA is the BEST form of anti-aliasing with much less of a performance hit than MSAA and it looks even better...hairworks in witcher 3 was not very good...who love spaghetti hair...and witcher 3 is the most BORINGGGGG game i have ever seen...

HBAO+, PCSS shadows and TXAA...those are the nice ones and they are starting to use them more and more in games...and they do wonders.

How is that relevant to any of this? Besides, that's only your opinion, most of the people claim otherwise and the success of this game proves me right. I can bet with you that this Assassins Creed is going to be much less popular.

YA Batman was a nice experience supplied by Gameworks greatness.

pity. The gameworks effect on that was good.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Witcher 3 release, Kepler architecture-based GPUs failure, 960 was beating a 780Ti. Basically what happened to a 780Ti, even now it's not nearly as good as it still should imo, ought not to happen to a card that expensive merely 2 years ago (There even are some games that a 780Ti gets beaten by a 970 right now)

That was the only BAD gameready driver nvidia released so far and they've admitted the mistake and fixed it the next week with the release of another driver that restored and improved performance for kepler GPU's in many games INCLUDING the witcher 3 and project cars...and the GTX 780ti climbed back in between the GTX 970 and 980 ...it's still faster than your 290X, faster than a 390 in most games and will give even a 390X a run for it's money especialy in nvidia optimised/sponsored titles (AKA MOST GAMES THAT HAVE COME OUT IN 2014 and 2015 BTW) which also happend to have support for some gameworks and physX based FX such as TXAA, PCSS shadows and HBAO+.

YA Batman was a nice experience supplied by Gameworks greatness.

i know right but it's sad that it's not very well optimised and require a top of the line 980ti to render them...the volumetric smoke and advanced lighshafts are georgous and the papers flying everywhere at times also add a lot to the visual appeal of the game...if only it could run better.

IMHO it looks like a FABULOUS game and i will CERTAINLY play it from the begining to the end and enjoy every minutes of it!

and ALSO, those features mentionned in the video that you've probably not even took the time to watch...are being used in MANY other current AAA titles and will be even more widely spread in FUTURE AAA titles...so NO, not just assassin's creed.

sooo much this...this is the video i should have linked to answer @afyeung and @Castdeath97 and @Coaxialgamer !

thanks for posting this!

The Gameworks features were turned off in the video.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide