Reason not to buy an AMD R9 390 over a GTX 970 at this day and age? THIS:

i_build_nanosuits

Hmm, I assumed that since reference 290X's can run at 94 degrees and supposedly that's safe for them, apparently for those cards these aren't really temperatures too dangerous

the fact that it wont cause sudden death does not mean it's not bad for the card in the long run...the stress your gpu is put throught during the heating up/cooling downs cycles is not really recommended for any chip...many of those reference cards are dead already...amd claimed it was safe to run these temps because the cards were already in store shelves around the world but i'm pretty sure in the long run such temps are not good for the gpu.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Sorry off topic.

The driver is out, you just have to go into Catalyst and download it. Came out hours ago

What is the build numbers? 15.201 is Catalyst 15.11 Beta and that only have Black Ops 3 optimization, no Fallout 4.

See, I have a very big Full Tower case, 5 120mm fans installed and my card goes up to 90 degrees, it idles around 45. Overclocking doesn't really change much, no OC it hits 89 degrees, with the OC it hits 91 degrees (fans @100%). People have told me to RMA it cause it's not normal, but I'm still not 100% certain, I noticed you've got the exact same card so I decided to ask you, thanks for the response, I appreciate it ;)

Even with an open case it got to 88 degrees during Valley, so it's definitely not the airflow in the case that's causing it ;-; The store already accepted my RMA once but I didn't send the card, I can write another ticket, and they should accept as well

That is weird, try check if you have sticky fan issue. 

Is that newer revision of 290x Gaming or older/original? Newer one use custom PCB with golden chokes and the older one use reference PCB with black chokes. You can see the golden choke through the top side of the card.

It could probably just a crappy thermal paste application.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Sorry off topic.

What is the build numbers? 15.201 is Catalyst 15.11 Beta and that only have Black Ops 3 optimization, no Fallout 4.

That is weird, try check if you have sticky fan issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auz-hRo4x54

Is that newer revision of 290x Gaming or older/original? Newer one use custom PCB with golden chokes and the older one use reference PCB with black chokes. You can see the golden choke through the top side of the card.

15.201andabunchofnumbers , I did see that there was a Fallout 4 crossfire file but no idea if it works. Still hours away from launch here

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Sorry off topic.

that is weird, try check if you have sticky fan issue. 

It was manufactured in January 2014. Has black PCB and has gold chokes I believe. Is the thermal paste change hard to perform on this particular card? Cause if you're serious that it's bad thermal paste application, then I can use a pretty good paste I've got lying around, if it helped keep the temps around 80 that would be fantastic

P.S. Sorry for offtopic

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

It was manufactured in January 2014. Has black PCB and has gold chokes I believe. Is the thermal paste change hard to perform on this particular card? Cause if you're serious that it's bad thermal paste application, then I can use a pretty good paste I've got lying around, if it helped keep the temps around 80 that would be fantastic

P.S. Sorry for offtopic

looks like you have 12 little screws to remove and then the cooler will detach from the card, unplug the wires that power the fans from the PCB carefuly...clean the chip with alcohol, apply new paste, plug back the wire for the fans to the PCB, put back cooler on the card apply pressure once aligned properly , screw back the cooler starting with the 4 main screws around the die using an ''X'' patern around the GPU, then all the other small screws and you're done :)

chances are it's just crappy paste/dried or separated cooler from the die...i would do it personally...i don't think it'll void your warranty with MSI if you don't have to poke a sticker to access one of the screw you're fine. i've done this on some of my graphics cards so far over the years and never had issues...and the temps always end-up being better because manufacturers use crappy paste that get very dry over time especialy on hot powerful GPU's.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Well it all comes down to Nvidia provides a product for a open platform and tries to close that platform to them only with there gameworks and bullshit just to make it more difficult for AMD. That is why they will not like DX12 can not bastardize that for profits and control and why it has bad hardware DX12 support in a 1200 card. Why does not Nvidia and intel go make there own new proprietary system with locked down everything to them. lol no one would want it at there price.

This topic is realy pointless to me.

It makes no sense.

You pick a cherry picked game that runs better on the GTX970.

There are also tons of other games that run better on a 390.

So whats the fucking point?

Even a Nvidia fan would agree with me, that Hairworks and Gameworks is a totaly pile of shit.

We simply need some competition, we dont need crap like Gameworks.

Even a Nvidia fan would agree with me, that Hairworks and Gameworks is a totaly pile of shit.

yeah sure, especialy if you CAN'T run the eyecandy rich features i must admit i'd be pissed too and i would probably call it a ''pile of shit'' as well...i won't blame you ;)

yeah sure, especialy if you CAN'T run the eyecandy rich features i must admit i'd be pissed too and i would probably call it a ''pile of shit'' as well...i won't blame you ;)

Well the thing is, this topic is not constructive in any way.

You accuising people who bring up Shadow or Mordor for cherry picking.

Because this game does indeed run better on AMD.

However you opening this particular thread with Assing Creed, which is a title that might run better on Nvidia.

So what you do is basicly the same thing, and that is cherry picking.

GTX970 and R9-390 are two cards that are realy compatitive against eachother.

Some games run better on the Nvidia card, other do better on the AMD for obvious reasons.

But overall they are pretty much neck to neck, depending on the game.

Both cards have their pro´s and con´s.

So i personaly dont see the value of this thread?

Other then cherry picking gameworks titles?

I mean not all people play the same games.

It would make more sense to make a topic like reasons not to buy a 390 over a 970.

And reasons why to buy a 390 over a 970.

That would have made the topic a bit more interesting.

Now you have a topic thats more into a flamewar then anything.

Well the thing is, this topic is not constructive in any way.

You accuising people who bring up Shadow or Mordor for cherry picking.

Because this game does indeed run better on AMD.

However you opening this particular thread with Assing Creed, which is a title that might run better on Nvidia.

So what you do is basicly the same thing, and that is cherry picking.

GTX970 and R9-390 are two cards that are realy compatitive against eachother.

Some games run better on the Nvidia card, other do better on the AMD for obvious reasons.

But overall they are pretty much neck to neck, depending on the game.

Both cards have their pro´s and con´s.

So how much sense does this topic make?

a lot of sense since as you said both cards trade blows from game to game: one can pull 300W from the wall, is a rebrand of a 2 years old GPU and run really hot... the other does not do that and support a ton of cool new features...they both cost the same, so which one would you pick?

I would happily take this 165-180watts and 65*c my OC'd 1500Mhz 970 has over my 290-315watts and 85*c my OC'd 1150Mhz 290x had.

Sometimes its MORE than having that extra bit of performance.... like excessively heated air increasing case temps (inc CPU temps) and nearing the limit of a PSU.

Another reason, the PSU allowance, wants an upgrade to 290x/390 kind of power, but does NOT wanna upgrade their PSU at the same time due to needing extra funds to manage the delta between cards, and if his PSU is ample, why not the GTX970 then?

Most people don't care about power usage and higher than normal temps that affect other parts, but many do as well.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

a lot of sense since as you said both cards trade blows from game to game: one can pull 300W from the wall, is a rebrand of a 2 years old GPU and run really hot... the other does not do that and support a ton of cool new features...they both cost the same, so which one would you pick?

You see again, you bring up points that do not make that much sense.

Nvidia´s GTX970 still getting beaten by a 2 year old gpu, tells more about how decent the Hawai gpu´s are.

More then how great maxwell is.

Which card i would choose highly depends on which cards shows me the best performance in the games i play.

But that does not mean that i play the same games, as anyone else.

The only thing that is important, if you play those Nvidia specific titles which contain crap like gameworks or hairworks.

Then the GTX970 is the better choice.

But there are manny more games out there who dont use any of that crap.

And from benchmarks i have seen, both cards are pretty close, but in most cases the 390 edges the 970 out.

You should research before writing that. MSI GTX 970 gets to around 70 degrees under full load while MSI R9 390 goes 72-73 degrees under full load - if that's really hot then I'm retarded

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I would happily take this 165-180watts and 65*c my OC'd 1500Mhz 970 has over my 290-315watts and 85*c my OC'd 1150Mhz 290x had.

Sometimes its MORE than having that extra bit of performance.... like excessively heated air increasing case temps (inc CPU temps) and nearing the limit of a PSU.

Another reason, the PSU allowance, wants an upgrade to 290x/390 kind of power, but does NOT wanna upgrade their PSU at the same time due to needing extra funds to manage the delta between cards, and if his PSU is ample, why not the GTX970 then?

Most people don't care about power usage and higher than normal temps that affect other parts, but many do as well.

Good point, ALSO would like to point out that people are VERY FAST at concluding ''power consumption and heat...i don't care, i want the performance above anything else'' this is unexperienced poor decisioning IMHO cause once you've experienced power hungry hot running components you know the implications in terms of heat output in the man cave and unwanted/un-needed extra noise and heat...i MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer to stay away from this whenever it's possible...i used to run my overclocked GTX 780 with an overcooked FX-8320 and darn that was heating up the room quickly...it's a little better now with the intel CPU but the 780 is still a bit on the hot side for my likings... and still this card is a FAR CRY from the 290/390/390X cards from AMD.

You should research before writing that. MSI GTX 970 gets to around 70 degrees under full load while MSI R9 390 goes 72-73 degrees under full load - if that's really hot then I'm retarded

just like for CPU's...the temperature in the cores and the amnount of heat expelled by the part are two completely seperate things...it depends on the design...think about it...your AMD FX cpu run at 50c-55c...60c tops?! my i7 run at 70-80-90c...that would mean the intel part is SIGNIFICANTLY hotter and power hungry vs. your old FX?! ...ummmhhh no it's not...it expell a whole lot less heat...the cores are running hot but the issue is not the core temps, it's the global heat output and excess heat produced by the power hungry part.

also weren't you the guy asking for help about an overheating MSI R9 290X GPU a little earlier? :)

The one with better DX12 / Vulkan support IMO. Even if architecture is older that aspect matters from early 2016 onwards. Also 390s all seem to come with decent coolers and keep temps well under control, unlike reference 290.

You see.

like i said both cards have their pro´s and con´s.

In the end this topic does not make much sense.

Because its based on an opinnion.

The one with better DX12 / Vulkan support IMO. Even if architecture is older that aspect matters from early 2016 onwards. Also 390s all seem to come with decent coolers and keep temps well under control, unlike reference 290.

I agree, better future support is better...

I own 11x 290 series cards for mining. (390's are not that different in temps, even with faster memory clocks)

NONE of my cards are reference.

All of them get to above 75-80*c on stock clocks (tested individually, each card, and not in my mining room), and have done 80*c+ since they were installed.

It's not uncommon for 290/390 series to get that hot.

Temps are under control yes, but nowhere NEAR ideal, they can handle a lot more, but I'd rather they be less than more obviously.

Yes, its not unheard of either, to have a mid 70*c load temp, but we all live in different parts of the world with diff ambient temps.

One card specifically, Windforce 290 @ factory clocks and cooled with triple fans and all.....88*c <-- this systems CPU temps rise a fair few degrees above normal load.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I own 11 290 series cards for mining.

NONE of them are reference.

All of them get to above 80*c on stock clocks (tested individually, each card, and not in my mining room), and have done 80*c+ since they were installed.

It's not uncommon for 290/390 series to get that hot.

Temps are under control yes, but nowhere NEAR ideal, they can handle a lot more, but I'd rather they be less than more obviously.

One card specifically, Windforce 290 @ factory clocks and cooled with triple fans and all.....88*c.

You are talking about mining, which is a totaly diffrent load then gaming.

I can tell you that a decent 390, does not run much hotter then a GTX970 wenn it comes to gaming.

The Sapphire 390 Nitro OC for example is a decent cooler, and it keeps the cards arround a respectable < 70°C.

The power draw is of course a diffrent story.

You are talking about mining, which is a totaly diffrent load then gaming.

I can tell you that a decent 390, does not run much hotter then a GTX970 wenn it comes to gaming.

The Sapphire 390 Nitro OC for example is a decent cooler, and it keeps the cards arround a respectable < 70°C.

The power draw is of course a diffrent story.

I also have used these SAME cards for my Gaming rig, and its the same. I just used mining as an example because thats what they are doing now, mining alt-coins.

Most of my cards will easily hit 80*c and surpass it when Gaming. (Specifically BF4 was my game of choice at the time)

I don't disagree, many coolers seem to be doing better than my cards, that I can't explain (Straya temps?) but IT IS my experience with the cards I have, and this experience is why I currently have a GTX970 in my main rig, the 290 & 290x's were all just pooling excess heat into my case and room, after some time, quite uncomfy (esp summertime) with the GTX 970, its 10-12*c less pumping out of my case every second, it makes quite the difference on hot days.

/Plus 290/x's better suited for my mining than the 970, but thats off-point.

The one with better DX12 / Vulkan support IMO. Even if architecture is older that aspect matters from early 2016 onwards.

yeah and on that we have no results thus far since nvidia has released ABSOLUTELY ZERO gameready driver for DX12 or anything that would even come close to that...all we have are early pre-release pre-alpha homebrew testing with non-approved non-ready drivers...the reason AMD saw a boost under DX12 is because there their DX11 drivers are utter crap...

-SNIP-

-SNIP-

Why are you still adding to the discussion? I get that you are the OP, but we have already determined that you know absolutely nothing about AMD. Not only that but many of your points are unclear and based on 0 facts. Yes, Nvidia has many clear advantages over AMD, no brand is perfect. However, your constant blabbering about AMD drivers and whatnot when you do not even own an AMD card belongs in an Nvidia fan club, not a subtopic designed for logical discussion, thank you. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

yeah and on that we have no results thus far since nvidia has released ABSOLUTELY ZERO gameready driver for DX12 or anything that would even come close to that...all we have are early pre-release pre-alpha homebrew testing with non-approved non-ready drivers...the reason AMD saw a boost under DX12 is because there their DX11 drivers are utter crap...

Ok so the 390 outperforms the 970 on DX11 with your "utter crap dx11" drivers. And as you and I agree AMD will see a further boost with DX12 thus widening the gap.

DX12 drivers have been out for a while from both vendors. Nvidia's WHQL drivers are not pre-alpha or non-approved LOL.

No AMD had better number for DX12 because there hardware actually supports more of DX12. Yes the games run better under DX12 than DX11 for AMD is also true. What people want is for software developers to produce software that no matter whose video card, AMD, Nvidia, Intel or anyone to work properly that's why DX12 is here. But no Nvidia will continue with special this and that to try and lock people out. Maybe Nvidia needs to be boot from all the open platform chairs they sit on since there actions are always for himself and not the open platform.